Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 36 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ministering to Muslims
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I found this site which looks interesting...

http://daralmasih.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... ts-to.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:56 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Newer Catholic (as of Easter 2010)
Church Affiliations: RC
Desertfalcon wrote:
I found this site which looks interesting...

http://daralmasih.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... ts-to.html

Some amazing stories on this site. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:39 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I’m providing an update on the Bible study with the Muslim kids in our neighborhood. We’ve had a few interesting sessions, but tonight’s was shocking. Let me explain. Instead of our regular Bible study, I invented a game called Who am I? On a piece of paper, I asked each child to answer 9 questions about themselves. Then all the papers were passed to me. I took a paper and read aloud the answers without saying who wrote them down. All the kids tried to guess who wrote down the answers. It was fun and everyone liked the game.

I asked traditional things like favorite food, best friend, and favorite activity. But I asked a couple of other things, and the answers were amazing.

Question: “What are you afraid of?” I thought I would hear about fears of spiders, snakes, that kind of thing. Two wrote “I don’t know”, one wrote “the dark” and another “people with guns.” Not terribly surprising, I guess. But 6 of 11 Muslim kids said they are afraid of “God”

Question: “If I could ask God a question I would ask…” I expected funny things like: Why is the sky blue? Where does everything come from? A few of the answers were: “I don’t know,” “what is my future,” and “I have a lot of questions.” Fair enough, but here is what the other Muslim kids answered:
- Why did you make my life so hard
- Am I going to heaven (three asked this)
- Why do we have to go to hell
- Am I going to hell
- Am I a bad person
- When will I die

Keep in mind these kids are all between the ages of 8 and 15, and the bulleted list above came from the kids 12 and under.

I was just wanting to give the kids a chance to say more about themselves, not realizing how distressing their responses would be. As a result, I realize my wife and I need to make sure we emphasize the loving side of God in our teachings. He is not someone to fear but someone to love and who loves us. He is not someone wanting to roast us alive, but someone wanting to save us and take care of us.

Your continued prayers are REALLY needed for this group. Many thanks!

Post subject: I sub-taught at an international high school...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Xavier!

Press on! Keep on keepin' on! Great thread!
I just wanted to compliment you and your wife for doing so well!

At an international high school [9th & 10th grades], one semester, two days a week, I subbed for a Teacher's Assistant, and was able to meet, greet, converse with, help with their classwork and homework mostly, kids from all over the world. Included in that group was a fair number of Muslims from different nations. If you have any questions or comments or suggestions for me for my job -- I have a ready ear and mind!!

The other posters gave you great advice, so I can add nothing.
Because I can always learn things from others, things that can be adapted to sub-teaching Muslims and all other international students, I'll be watching this very informative thread!

Roland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:01 am 
Suspended at request of user
Suspended at request of user

Religion: hopeful Catholic
Xavier wrote:
I’m providing an update on the Bible study with the Muslim kids in our neighborhood. We’ve had a few interesting sessions, but tonight’s was shocking. Let me explain. Instead of our regular Bible study, I invented a game called Who am I? On a piece of paper, I asked each child to answer 9 questions about themselves. Then all the papers were passed to me. I took a paper and read aloud the answers without saying who wrote them down. All the kids tried to guess who wrote down the answers. It was fun and everyone liked the game.

I asked traditional things like favorite food, best friend, and favorite activity. But I asked a couple of other things, and the answers were amazing.

Question: “What are you afraid of?” I thought I would hear about fears of spiders, snakes, that kind of thing. Two wrote “I don’t know”, one wrote “the dark” and another “people with guns.” Not terribly surprising, I guess. But 6 of 11 Muslim kids said they are afraid of “God”

Question: “If I could ask God a question I would ask…” I expected funny things like: Why is the sky blue? Where does everything come from? A few of the answers were: “I don’t know,” “what is my future,” and “I have a lot of questions.” Fair enough, but here is what the other Muslim kids answered:
- Why did you make my life so hard
- Am I going to heaven (three asked this)
- Why do we have to go to hell
- Am I going to hell
- Am I a bad person
- When will I die

Keep in mind these kids are all between the ages of 8 and 15, and the bulleted list above came from the kids 12 and under.

I was just wanting to give the kids a chance to say more about themselves, not realizing how distressing their responses would be. As a result, I realize my wife and I need to make sure we emphasize the loving side of God in our teachings. He is not someone to fear but someone to love and who loves us. He is not someone wanting to roast us alive, but someone wanting to save us and take care of us.

Your continued prayers are REALLY needed for this group. Many thanks!

When I was still a practicing Muslim, we were told first and foremost to fear God. The Arabic term is taqwa which technically means to be conscious of God, but a lot of the Muslims that I know says it means to FEAR God. Also, being a Muslim doesn't guarantee that you are going to heaven. You still have to do everything right, and make sure your good deeds outweigh your bad. Muslims also believe that God sends you tests which might explain why the one child asked why God makes his life so hard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:57 pm 
Travelin' Man's Travelin' Tau
Travelin' Man's Travelin' Tau

Religion: Catholic convert
Church Affiliations: OFS
Another item you might consider with the older kids is the idea that Christ is the perfect hajj. The younger ones might not be able to grasp this but the older ones might at some point when it fits in. I never correctly understood the paschal lamb of Exodus until I connected that with the Paschal Lamb, Christ, of the Gospel of John. What happened? I read a copy of Dr. Scott Hahn's book "The Lamb's Supper." I'm not suggesting you introduce the kids to this book as it is written for adults. Perhaps you could adapt the points so the kids can grasp and understand it.

Another thing about Islam is it's big on Mary. They really have a reverence for Our Lady. I'm not sure why but they do. She's mentioned in the Qur'an and muslims believe in the virgin birth. What I find so interesting is that they believe in the virgin birth but don't grasp that this is meaningless if Christ was only just a man & another prophet, even if a "great prophet." The VB only makes sense to me in light of Our Lord's being the Son of God & the Paschal Lamb, our Savior.

Prayers went up for your wife. I love what you're doing; this is amazing. If you want to read a great adult story about a Muslim converting to Christianity read, "Son of Hamas" published by Ignatius Press. It's a fantastic read. Good luck with this. I'm sure God has blessed you and your wife for doing this. What a fabulous vocation! :salut:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

A long-delayed update here... We continue the Bible study with the neighborhood kids but are outgrowing our current house (our own kids share a room and we have only one bathroom!). We decided to purchase another house in the same neighborhood. There are some ups and downs with this. The upside is we will have a lot more room, and by chance, will also be closer to additional muslim kids and their families. However, we will be flanked on one side by an arabic Mosque, and on the other side by a Turkish Muslim community center.

The other issue is my job. I am a federal employee at an air force base and we learned this week there may be layoffs in the next few months. My boss says not to worry about it - that I will have a job somewhere on base at the end of all this. Even so the timing is not great, because we have not yet closed on the house (mid-June) and yet are under contract to buy.

So, I would really appreciate prayers that the Lord would provide for us to buy and maintain ownership of the new house, and continue our ministry at the new location in one of the most Muslim populated areas of the state. Thank you! :pray:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am 

:pray:

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm 

Please update your marvellous work

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:46 am 
Citizen
Citizen

We took a break during the cold weather months - not many kids were coming. Now that Spring is here we want to restart. I'm working on a sporting event day to try and draw new as well as old kids.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:26 pm 

The Catholic faith is very different from Islam as you know. I personally would do nothing further. You have introduced them to the faith, and they can embrace or reject it. If they embrace it, then they may further seek you out, or a Priest. You've dropped the seed there. Some seeds take, some don't. If the soil is good and the rain comes at the right time, a beautiful garden will grow. But, not all seeds take. You've done your job as I see things.

Cenobite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:34 pm 

Church Affiliations: Conf. SP
Xavier wrote:
My wife and I have a weekly bible study group with muslim kids from our neighborhood. It's been going for about two years now, which represents a real surprise to us both. However, I am reaching a point where I am unsure how to proceed further in communicating the gospel message. Are there any resources available for successfully ministering to Muslims?

In my view it won't work if it is for the purpose of meeting some ecumenical agenda. It will work if the students are simply studying Catholicism as a religion. In any case they should be prepared for disturbing differences in doctrine.

Having a good knowledge of the Quaran would be a necessity, this to allow for the correct expression of sensitive areas
of their beliefs, and to establish any commonalities. You could suggest a meeting agenda with the parents just for an idea of how they feel things are progressing. You can also establish a curriculum with a short narrative of key points. Good social interaction with the parents is key. This way if there would be no surprises, and any objections can be resolved immediately. (Actually, I wonder if some of the new citizen parents feel coerced in this, not outwardly of course, but simply to want to become better nationals, MMmmm).

It would not work for me as I feel it would become a mine field. I would eventually find myself expending all the material that skirts key issues, then having to take them on. St. Francis had no such reservations(to my shame). I would find myself circling the verses of A. Usogh Allee and Oud Emrom, like covered wagons, resisting blurting out the obvious. :)

Mohammed eludes to the Divinity of Christ, and boarders around coming out and saying it outright, no doubt due to the risk
of the loss of his temporal status and charism. This "religion" is a sad shame really.

Sorry I'm not much help.

"Really, sometimes I think when it's too quiet up there you say to yourself, "What kind of mischief can I play on my friend Tevia" - Fiddler on the Roof

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

I suggest the following book:

Le prix à payer par Joseph FADELLE, copyright 2010 by Les Editions de l’Œuvre, Paris.

English translation by Michael J. Miller : The Price to Pay by Joseph Fadelle, copyright 2012 by Ignatius Press, San Francisco.

This is a story of an Iraqi Muslim, who become converted to Christianity.

You will then be able to understand proiblems that former Muslims faced.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:39 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
I nominate AndyF for thread necromancer of the week :fyi:

(You replied to the initial post, which is from 2010.)

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:19 pm 

Church Affiliations: Conf. SP
Zoom wrote:
I nominate AndyF for thread necromancer of the week :fyi:

(You replied to the initial post, which is from 2010.)

:D

Thanks, the 'ol noggin aen't what it used to!.

"Really, sometimes I think when it's too quiet up there you say to yourself, "What kind of mischief can I play on my friend Tevia" - Fiddler on the Roof

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Steve Ray talks about a Muslim imam, who got converted to the Catholic Church:

http://www.catholic-convert.com/blog/20 ... ic-church/

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 36 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2