Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mass first or Confession first?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:22 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Should I attend Mass first then go to Confession, or should I go to Confession first upon returning to the Church?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mass first or Confession first?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:35 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Do both ASAP. You can certainly start going back to Mass before you go to Confession, just don't receive the Eucharist.

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:01 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

:pray:

L.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Thank you Benedetta and thank you Linsou for your prayers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:32 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

yw!
Update us after you go.

L.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:05 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I will.

I looked at my Church's website and it says that I can make an appointment with my priest for Confession. I know him quite well and he's a great priest.

I plan to call and make an appointment for this week, but if I'm being completely honest I'm doubting myself greatly. I'm not sure if you've been following my other threads but I'm still very bruised and battered. I have much fear and weakness, but my hope and faith is much greater and I know will prevail, God willing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:35 pm 
Master
Master

Flyleaf wrote:
I will.

I looked at my Church's website and it says that I can make an appointment with my priest for Confession. I know him quite well and he's a great priest.

I plan to call and make an appointment for this week, but if I'm being completely honest I'm doubting myself greatly. I'm not sure if you've been following my other threads but I'm still very bruised and battered. I have much fear and weakness, but my hope and faith is much greater and I know will prevail, God willing.

Walking into the confessional will be the heaviest step you'll ever take. Walking out will be the lightest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:43 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Flyleaf wrote:
I will.

Yes. I have read them.
I'm sure others probably have as well.
So glad you plan to go.
Continued prayers.
:pray:

L.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Flyleaf wrote:
I will.

Just pick up the phone and make the phone call. It will be a lot harder to back out once the appt is actually made.

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Thank you peetem, Linsou, and Benedetta for your support.

In this moment as I sit here at my computer at 10:25pm, the thought of walking into my Church and facing my priest just seems too much to bare. I mean I teared up just reading all your responses. If God chooses to extend His mercy on me another day, I pray I will have the strength to make the phone call.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Maybe you could send an email tonight?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:37 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Do you think an email would get a response as fast as a phone call?

I have called my priest before in the past and he got back to me pretty quick. I think that would be my best bet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I just meant that if you sent the email tonight you wouldn't have to worry about not having the resolve for the phone call tomorrow. The email will already be sent! And then in the morning if you do have the resolve you can call and say that you sent an email but you thought it would just be faster to call. Just an idea...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:40 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Whether a phone call or email would be faster depends on the priest.

Trust me--few things give a priest as much joy as helping someone come back into the practice of his faith.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:43 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Trust me--few things give a priest as much joy as helping someone come back into the practice of his faith.

:cloud9:

Where does baptizing teeny tiny babies fall on the "joy scale"?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Benedetta wrote:
I just meant that if you sent the email tonight you wouldn't have to worry about not having the resolve for the phone call tomorrow. The email will already be sent! And then in the morning if you do have the resolve you can call and say that you sent an email but you thought it would just be faster to call. Just an idea...

That is a good idea. I will check my Church's website right now. Thanks Benedetta.

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Whether a phone call or email would be faster depends on the priest.

Thank you Father. You nailed it on the head. I feel ashamed and afraid that he will frown upon me for turning my back on the Church and his kindness from the past.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Flyleaf wrote:
Thank you Father. You nailed it on the head. I feel ashamed and afraid that he will frown upon me for turning my back on the Church and his kindness from the past.

Priests are human too. They have sinned too. Some of them have turned their back on the Church at some point in the past (and then been restored through the sacraments), too. They have no interest in judging you for your past. They are in the confessional to extend to you the grace and mercy of our Lord. And don't forget that your sins are not likely to surprise or shock any priest who has been hearing confessions for any length of time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:56 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Benedetta wrote:
Flyleaf wrote:

Priests are human too. They have sinned too. Some of them have turned their back on the Church at some point in the past (and then been restored through the sacraments), too. They have no interest in judging you for your past. They are in the confessional to extend to you the grace and mercy of our Lord. And don't forget that your sins are not likely to surprise or shock any priest who has been hearing confessions for any length of time.

All good points Benedetta. While my fears are real to me because I feel them, they are based on a lie.

I had a talk with my Dad this morning. I haven't been sleeping too well the past week or so which is a red flag with my illness. While we disagree on some things and our talk got a little heated, we are in agreement that my medications may need to be adjusted. I am going for blood work tomorrow to help pinpoint what actions need to be taken.

I now have my priests direct email, but my return to the Church may have to be stalled temporarily while I treat the illness. I hope not for long because I am really itching to talk to my priest. The Church is shouting my name and I don't think I even have the choice anymore to turn away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Quote:
my return to the Church may have to be stalled temporarily while I treat the illness.

Why is that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Benedetta wrote:
Quote:
my return to the Church may have to be stalled temporarily while I treat the illness.

Why is that?

There is no reason for that, really.
The sacraments can only help.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next