Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 65 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: communion in non-Catholic/non-Orthodox church
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:46 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
cloudyday wrote:
What I mean by a religion that "works for me" is a religion that "makes me a better person".

God made people to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

If you know, love, and serve God - I think - that will make you a better person.

:)

I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 am 

Religion: not sure
Greg wrote:
cloudyday wrote:
What I mean by a religion that "works for me" is a religion that "makes me a better person".

God made people to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

If you know, love, and serve God - I think - that will make you a better person.

:)

Thanks, and I think the reason Jesus said "love the Lord thy God with all they heart and with all they soul and with all they mind and love thy neighbour as thyself" is because they are two sides of the same coin. We can't love God except through our neighbour, and we can't love our neighbour except through God.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
I'm going to do something I have been trying to avoid, but I just want to see what happens. My opinion is a Catholic has NO BUSINESS attending service in any other place/ religion outside of The Church. EVAH. My sister got married in an Episcopal ceremony, and the only reason I attended was because it would cause scandal and hurt feelings if I did not go. My mother sincerely asked me to attend after I said I would not go and I spoke to my Priest about this, who pointed out the "scandal" clause.

Therefore, if God wills that we be struck down by some affliction, take it as
a sign that he considers us mature enough to be associated even more closely
with his redeeming Cross.

Stand up against lies heresy and distortion: I DON'T BELIEVE Michael Sean Winters or NCR Online

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:55 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Cubano wrote:
I'm going to do something I have been trying to avoid, but I just want to see what happens. My opinion is a Catholic has NO BUSINESS attending service in any other place/ religion outside of The Church. EVAH.

You're going against the Church on that one....what the Church allows, you have no right to forbid.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
Cubano wrote:
I'm going to do something I have been trying to avoid, but I just want to see what happens. My opinion is a Catholic has NO BUSINESS attending service in any other place/ religion outside of The Church. EVAH.

You're going against the Church on that one....what the Church allows, you have no right to forbid.

Did I forbid anyone from doing anything? I said clearly said in my opinion. Doesn't Paul say we shouldn't worship/ partake in ceremonies with non-believers? I just interpret that rather strictly.

The First Commandment FORBIDS taking part in the services or prayers of FALSE religion. The Protestants don't even recognize us as Christian. We still believe WE are the ONE TRUE CHURCH founded by God Himself. It makes no sense for a Catholic to attend any other type of service, hence the qualifier IN MY OPINION.

Stand up against lies heresy and distortion: I DON'T BELIEVE Michael Sean Winters or NCR Online

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:02 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Cubano wrote:
The Protestants don't even recognize us as Christian.

Overgeneralization.

I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:08 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Greg wrote:
Cubano wrote:

Overgeneralization.

Well if they considered us Christian, why did they split in the first place? Politics? Very well, those issues have been resolved, can they come back to the fold? No, because they do not believe or accept our teachings. They do not believe as we believe. They think "they" are the "true church".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:18 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Noted... and you make some interesting observations. You may want to start another thread though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:27 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Greg wrote:
Noted... and you make some interesting observations. You may want to start another thread though.

i dunno... the question was about communion in non-Catholic, non-orthodox churches and I gave my opinion on that..
someone countered saying I was prohibiting what the Church permits.. I clarified myself.. I made a blanket statement and I clarified that.. I am just stating my reasons why I MYSELF PERSONALLY believe a Catholic has no business going to a non Catholic service. If some one else wants to open up a "bring the Lutherans/ Presbyterians/ whoever" back be my guest. For now, I'm just sticking by my reasons for not attending other services. Thanks though.. I will say this: it is sad that in my opinion I can't find a happy medium when it comes to Catholic boards. One board I am too conservative, another board a heretic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Doom wrote:
Cubano wrote:

I agree with him 100%. Whoever prays with a heretic is a heretic. But whoever prays for a heretic is a child of God.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:32 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Greg wrote:
Cubano wrote:

Overgeneralization.

I agree, most of my Protestant friends DO believe the Catholics to be Christians-they may disagree about the role of the Pope or other things, but I've never heard any of them say 'You're not a Christian!'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:41 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

anna1978 wrote:
Greg wrote:
Cubano wrote:

Overgeneralization.

I agree, most of my Protestant friends DO believe the Catholics to be Christians-they may disagree about the role of the Pope or other things, but I've never heard any of them say 'You're not a Christian!'

I have..
and for the record I amplified my answer..
again:
Well if they considered us Christian, why did they split in the first place? Politics? Very well, those issues have been resolved, can they come back to the fold? No, because they do not believe or accept our teachings. They do not believe as we believe. They think "they" are the "true church".
Not to debate this point just clarifying and expanding my statement

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

pax wrote:
Doom wrote:
Cubano wrote:

I agree with him 100%. Whoever prays with a heretic is a heretic. But whoever prays for a heretic is a child of God.

That's why when I pray the rosary I say a bead for enemies of the Church, a bead for union in the Church, for a bead for conversion of non-believers...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:04 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
anna1978 wrote:

It's because you're European. If you lived in the American South you would hear it endlessly. (I'm exaggerating slightly but I my Southron friends know what I'm talking about.)

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Pepsuber wrote:
anna1978 wrote:

It's because you're European. If you lived in the American South you would hear it endlessly. (I'm exaggerating slightly but I my Southron friends know what I'm talking about.)

That might be the reason, I have heard the 'American Deep South' is a lot different :mrgreen: !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:27 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Cubano wrote:
Did I forbid anyone from doing anything? I said clearly said in my opinion. .

Yeah, you pretty much did, and your opinion is contrary to the Church.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:06 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
anna1978 wrote:
Pepsuber wrote:
anna1978 wrote:

That might be the reason, I have heard the 'American Deep South' is a lot different :mrgreen: !

i've lived in texas my whole life...and while we're not the 'american south' per se, i have never been told that Catholics are not Christian...at least not in my recollection either as a Catholic or non-Catholic... on the internet otoh, it is prevalent that to be Catholic does not always equate to being Christian...has to do with that idolatry claim :roll: :nooo:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
[quote="CubanoDid I forbid anyone from doing anything? I said clearly said in my opinion. .

Yeah, you pretty much did, and your opinion is contrary to the Church and is therefore USELESS.

Please show me where I FORBADE anyone from doing anything. Again note the qualifier IN MY OPINION... Who am I to forbid anyone from doing anything? Who are you to say what is and isn't useless. It may be useless to you, but maybe someone else finds it useful. Show me where I went contrary to what the Church teaches. Perhaps I am wrong and I need correction.

BTW I'm praying for you..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 am 
Citizen
Citizen

We (that's what we say in Mass, I do, perhaps some here do not) believe... one holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

I don't think anyone can object so far. The Church of Christ is known by Four Marks:
1. she is ONE
2. she is HOLY
3. she is CATHOLIC
4. she is APOSTOLIC

any objections?

now we get into the part where someone may differ, if so please point out my error
a Church is One because all her members agree in one Faith, have all the same Sacrifice and Sacraments, and are united under one Head. I do not know of ministers or pastors outside of the priesthood that can perform Transubstantiation and turn the host and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ. I do not know of pastors or ministers outside of the priesthood that can absolve sins.

a Church is Holy because she teaches holy doctrine. There is much doctrine in the Holy Roman Catholic Church not taught or adhered to outside of it.

a Church is Apostolic because she holds doctrine and Traditions of the Apostles and an unbroken line of succession of her Pastors from which she derives her priestly Orders and Mission.

based on these reasons, it is MY PERSONAL BELIEF AND CONVICTION, that a Catholic has no business attending service outside the Church
So Doom, where am I wrong? perhaps I have misinterpreted something and you are much wiser and learned than me and can provide brotherly correction.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:51 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
Cubano wrote:

Does this mean the Church is wrong in forbidding contraception and abortion? What the State permits they have no right to forbid?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 65 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next