Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: UFO's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:50 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Xavier wrote:
I came across a fascinating book about UFOs. It is different from others I read as a young person, in that the contributors have noteworthy credentials, including retired generals, fighter pilots, and directors of government laboratories. It is not easy to dismiss the evidence given the sources.

http://www.amazon.com/UFOs-Generals-Pilots-Government-Officials/dp/0307717089/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Whether or not any of these UFOs represent alien intelligences, I am wrestling with a number of questions and am wondering if any Catholic writers (or the Vatican) have put this possibility of alien life into perspective:

For instance, should we not take seriously the eyewitness testimony of thousands of people who claim to have seen aircraft that performed well beyond our own technology, especially the testimony of credible observers? I think as Christians, we must. We are willing to accept the testimony of people who also claim to have witnessed incredible events (namely the life and miracles of Jesus, and his apostles). Those witnesses have been gone for thousands of years and yet we trust them completely. In fairness, should we not also apply the same open-mindedness to other amazing phenomena that are also witnessed by people in our day? Particularly when it is corrobarated by multiple witnesses, and even technical equipment such as radar returns?

I also wonder about the implications of intelligent, alien life for the faith. God took the form of a human, and continues to occupy that form in Heaven. Does that mean the aliens would also be obliged to worship a human-like God? Or could God shed his human form and take on an alien form if needed to deliver them from sin, too? And what about the universe itself. If the universe changed because of Adam’s Fall, does that mean the universe changed for the aliens, too, even though they probably lived extreme distances away? I’m sure there are other implications that I’m not considering.

Thanks

Alice Maynell, poet, puts forth her imaginative theory in this poem:

http://www.poetry-archive.com/m/christ_ ... verse.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Newer Catholic (as of Easter 2010)
Church Affiliations: RC
Found an interesting series of youtube videos (12 parts spanning 2 hours). Hugh Ross and Ken Samples of "Reasons to Believe" with Mark Clark of "Stand to Reason" aired a two hour discussion about UFOs and various hypotheses put forward to explain them: natural, extra-terrestrial, and extra-dimensional. They conclude the demonic explanation (a version of the extra-dimensional) best explains the varying phenomena. There is also a "national security expert" guest who argues the US or other government could not successfully coverup evidence for UFOs for long periods of time (particularly, a crashed UFO vehicle).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8vGzOProVY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm 
Master
Master

Xavier wrote:
Found an interesting series of youtube videos (12 parts spanning 2 hours). Hugh Ross and Ken Samples of "Reasons to Believe" with Mark Clark of "Stand to Reason" aired a two hour discussion about UFOs and various hypotheses put forward to explain them: natural, extra-terrestrial, and extra-dimensional. They conclude the demonic explanation (a version of the extra-dimensional) best explains the varying phenomena. There is also a "national security expert" guest who argues the US or other government could not successfully coverup evidence for UFOs for long periods of time (particularly, a crashed UFO vehicle).

Not too surprising when one uses a little reason (tongue and cheek) - think about it:

1) Creatures that are so innovative, intelligent and technologically brilliant, can build a transport mechanism to span light years, avoiding any collisions and problems that arise with highly accelerated travel, can't build a machine that can be unseen to the naked human eye?
2) Creatures, so obviously brilliant they know that in any experiment one must remove bias or influence the outcome, can't hide themselves from basic observation by an inferior and mentally challenged creature as the average human being and thus, influence the outcome?
3) Creatures so smart that they communicate telepathically, can't just download or read any good set of human anatomy books to learn about "how we tick" and rather must probe our abducted bodies to learn about us?

Got it. :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
Xavier wrote:

I've noticed they confuse "solar system" with "galaxy" here and there. I find that odd. And the assertions that life is all but impossible outside of earth is absurd. I am going to continue watching it…

Also, the # of possible planets in the universe that they claim is very wrong. In the last year we have found that there are a vast # of planets everywhere. Also, there is what is called "the goldilocks zone" which many types of stars have. This zone is the area that is believed to have the ability to harbor life. To be fair, we have learned a lot in the past year concerning the amount of planets in our galaxy and the amount of water in the solar system and galaxy, and the show was made prior to May 2010.

I like the show on a whole and think it is worth a watch.

Last edited by Servant of Guadalupe on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 pm 
Adept
Adept

One thing that I thought was cool about that little video series, was that they noticed and pointed out the occult type ideas inside the UFO phenomena. As I had said earlier in this thread, I noticed that the more respectable UFO groups offer you the chance to commune with extra-dimensional ETs. I interpret that to be satanic seance. I would have liked them to give actual examples to their claim that the Bible backs up the science of their hypothesis, while the other "holy books" contradicted the evidences of the extra-dimentional occurrences. Perhaps I will get that book, and see if it is more convincing on a whole. Fun and thought provoking in places for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:27 am 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
If I had a space ship I'd fly millions of lights years from here and cut off some cows ears, mess up some crops and probe some guys. Yeah, that's what I'd do.
I'm tellin' you they're demons and they'll fool even the elect.

If you spend enough time outside at night looking up at the sky you'll see funny things too. I've seen lights that coast along this way and that, change colors, turn at right angles and then take off straight up so fast it's unbelievable.

Why don't they abduct people who are saying a rosary?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:51 am 
Adept
Adept

DesertSailor wrote:
If I had a space ship I'd fly millions of lights years from here and cut off some cows ears, mess up some crops and probe some guys. Yeah, that's what I'd do.
I'm tellin' you they're demons and they'll fool even the elect.

If you spend enough time outside at night looking up at the sky you'll see funny things too. I've seen lights that coast along this way and that, change colors, turn at right angles and then take off straight up so fast it's unbelievable.

Why don't they abduct people who are saying a rosary?

The videos claim as much...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:56 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I don't think the government (any government) is capable of maintaining that kind of secrecy for that long. =

I wish. We'd be living in a world of free energy right now if that were the case.

As for UFOs, I've lived in the desert regions of the U.S. for a good chunk of my life and I've seen lights, orbs, and metallic things I couldn't describe, and I've seen them in a group. Most people around there have seen something if you pry deep, but folks don't openly talk about it too much. A UFO does not = aliens though, I'm sure some of it is government tech that they are just testing out, but I don't know. I mean, I've seen more physical real life "proof" of the existence of ETs than I have of God - but still I know God exists while I feel pretty unsure about aliens.

I think the most memorable sighting though, I was 7 or 8 and my brother and I were playing outside. We were a few miles from the house (no big deal in desert country, we had no neighbors) by a dried up creek. We saw something shiny so we crawled down this little valley toward to the creek bed and there were hundreds of little metal marbles everywhere. All inside this creek bed. We didn't touch any, it freaked my brother out something fierce, and he made us run back to the house. By the time we dragged my Dad out there later that day (we rode a 4 wheeler back to the spot) they were gone. We were just kids, the details are fuzzy, but still I've never figured out what we saw that day. Is this proof of aliens? Nah - but it sure was weird.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2