Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Missed day of novena
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:40 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
What should you do if you missed a day of a novena? Yesterday was day 8 of the St. Joseph novena and I forgot to say the prayers. I was being reminded by email but I was hardly online yesterday so it slipped my mind. Should I just continue as if today were day 8 and finish tomorrow? Pray it twice today? Start over?

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886

Post subject: Re: Missed day of novena
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:58 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i have no answer but isn't that aggravating ... i hate it when it happens to me...especially in the middle of a 33 day consecration... what i always do is say the missed prayer on the next day, then say an extra one as a sort of penance for missing

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:01 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Unless there was a particular time limit for this (has to be done by a certain date) then continue from where you left off....if there is a time limit then just count yesterday as if you didn't forget and keeping going.....

There is no need to do any penance because you are not bound to perform novenas under pain of sin (well, unless you belong to some confraternity or something that involves taking a formal vow you aren't)

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:17 am 
Highness
Highness

Doom wrote:
Unless there was a particular time limit for this (has to be done by a certain date) then continue from where you left off....if there is a time limit then just count yesterday as if you didn't forget and keeping going.....
Of course there's s deadline. The St. Joseph Novena has to be completed by the Solemnity of St. Joseph, March 19th, or it’s all wasted.

If you missed a day of the St. Joseph Novena, you must dig a hole in your yard and bury yourself upside down. Wait, that's for selling your house and involves a St. Joseph statue buried upside down. Never mind!

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:18 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:20 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Doom wrote:
Unless there was a particular time limit for this (has to be done by a certain date) then continue from where you left off....if there isn't a time limit then just count yesterday as if you didn't forget and keeping going.....

FTFY

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:27 am 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
Doom wrote:
Unless there was a particular time limit for this (has to be done by a certain date) then continue from where you left off....if there isn't a time limit then just count yesterday as if you didn't forget and keeping going.....

FTFY

That isn't 'fixed' because there was no error....

If there is a time limit, has to be completed by X date, and let's say the day you missed was day 6, then on the next day, start with day 7 and continue to the end....you basically just never do day 6 and that's fine..novenas do not bind under the pain of sin, if you forget a day then you forget a day, no biggie...some people start the novena late, maybe beginning on day 4, that's fine too, whatever...

But there is no time limit, and the day you missed was day 6, then the next day, do day 6, then do day 7 and so on....just do the day you missed the next day

And that is exactly how I originally had it worded....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

kinda defeats the idea behind a novena though doesn't it... doesn't a novena imply you are doing something 9 times? if you miss a day, you have not completed the novena because you end up one prayer short....my assumption for "fxing that" assumed one actually wished to complete the novena by doing it the prescribed number of times

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:56 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm just going to pick up with day 8 today and make day 9 tomorrow. I don't know if this will affect the magic or not, though. ;)

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

:mrgreen: :laughhard :laughhard :laughhard

be sure and hold your tongue correct, while throwing salt over the proper shoulder 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:48 am 
King of Cool

Benedetta wrote:
I'm just going to pick up with day 8 today and make day 9 tomorrow. I don't know if this will affect the magic or not, though. ;)

Unfortunately you will only get 8/9 as much magic as you otherwise would

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:05 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Benedetta wrote:

It definitely won't affect the "magic"! :) St. Joseph must be smiling at this whole conversation. Making a nine day novena is a discipline, but prayer is still prayer! What you wrote above is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:21 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
kinda defeats the idea behind a novena though doesn't it... doesn't a novena imply you are doing something 9 times? if you miss a day, you have not completed the novena because you end up one prayer short....my assumption for "fxing that" assumed one actually wished to complete the novena by doing it the prescribed number of times

You are being legalistic, people are fallible, and prayers are not a magical incantation that have to be done a certain way in order to 'work'...praying a prayer imperfectly is better than not praying at all, and the attitude which says that if one cannot perform it perfectly then he shouldn't do it all is harmful and discouraging.....so sure, maybe you don't pray it the exact number of times you need to, or maybe you start it a couple of days late....no big deal....just pray...

Novenas are made for man, not man for the novena.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:37 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

nm

De Maria numquam satis