Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:53 pm
Posts: 1
Religion: Catholic
What is the Catholic Church's view on an afterlife of animals? Is there biblical support as to whether or not animals go to heaven?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:33 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69213
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Animals do not have rational souls so there is nothing TO go to heaven....

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:35 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66352
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
If animals go to heaven, it cannot be in the same way that humans do, for precisely the reason that Doom gives.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 pm 
Online
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 84082
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
thank goodness for the rainbow bridge :cloud9: 8-)

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:42 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66352
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
1) If it is necessary for our happiness in heaven that animals, or at least some animals, go to Heaven, then they will.
2) All things that exist, exist because God knows them. The blessed in Heaven are able to see God and to know Him as fully as humanity is capable of. Therefore, it is reasonable to hypothesize that in knowing God, the blessed obtain at least a share in His knowing of the good things He has created, which would include animals that were in some way important to us.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69213
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
faithfulservant wrote:
thank goodness for the rainbow bridge :cloud9: 8-)


What are you muttering on about?

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69213
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
1) If it is necessary for our happiness in heaven that animals, or at least some animals, go to Heaven, then they will.
2) All things that exist, exist because God knows them. The blessed in Heaven are able to see God and to know Him as fully as humanity is capable of. Therefore, it is reasonable to hypothesize that in knowing God, the blessed obtain at least a share in His knowing of the good things He has created, which would include animals that were in some way important to us.



There may well be animals in heaven, but I don't see how they could be same as the ones we knew on Earth simply because there is nothing to 'survive' or be resurrected in heaven...

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 9654
Location: Here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
faithfulservant wrote:
thank goodness for the rainbow bridge :cloud9: 8-)


At Niagara Falls?

Between Canada and The USA Is that how Americans go to heaven?

_________________
"If the world is against truth, then I am against the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:40 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66352
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
"Is this Heaven?"

"No, it's Iowa."

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 9654
Location: Here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
"Is this Heaven?"

"No, it's Iowa."


Easy to get them mixed up.

_________________
"If the world is against truth, then I am against the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69213
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
"Is this Heaven?"

"No, it's Iowa."


Easy to get them mixed up.


It's even easier to get hell and New Jersey mixed up.

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 9654
Location: Here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Doom wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
"Is this Heaven?"

"No, it's Iowa."


Easy to get them mixed up.


It's even easier to get hell and New Jersey mixed up.


Is there a difference? Not in Newark.

_________________
"If the world is against truth, then I am against the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:06 pm 
Online
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 84082
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
ask gov christie...he should know

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Posts: 27828
Location: Sine Domum
Religion: Roman Catholic
I suppose God could recreate a particular animal, if He so chooses. But whereas immortality belongs to our nature, at least as far as the soul (the formal principle) goes, immortality does not belong by nature to animals, either materially or formally (as far as their souls go).

St. Thomas argues that no animals will be in heaven, because there will be no generation and corruption in heaven. Without even getting into specific animals, at least some animals' natures would be incompatible. A lion is a carnivore. Think about it. What exactly will it do in heaven? To not hunt, to not procreate, to not do anything which is natural to lions, what sort of existence would that be?

St. Thomas does hold that plants will exist, though of a different nature (incorruptible) in heaven. Perhaps one could argue that there might be animals of such a new nature too. But they would even have different ends of their nature than those existing now

_________________
Ignem veni mittere in terram, et quid volo nisi ut accendatur?.... Quid autem et a vobis ipsis non judicatis quod justum est?

My Blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:23 pm 
Offline
Adept
Adept
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:23 pm
Posts: 4292
Location: Thunderhorse in the Gulf of Mexico
Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
If animals go to heaven, it cannot be in the same way that humans do, for precisely the reason that Doom gives.
There's this hunter out with his dog, and they are attacked and killed by a bear, the both of them. They were out hunting together year in and year out. The epitomy of friendship. As they were walking down the trail toward the great big heavenly gate, the gatekeeper says to the hunter, "By golly, you made it to heaven! Welcome! Come on in, your life is about to really start!" As the hunter starts walking, he whistles to his dog to come along, and the gatekeeper stops him, "Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute! We don't allow dogs in here, you need to leave him outside!" The hunter looks at his dog, then looks beyond the gait, hesitates, and says, "Ah, never mind, I am going to go down the other trail. I am going to the other gate. I won't go to heaven if I have to leave my dog behind!" And so, off the hunter walks with his dog. When he comes up toward the other, darker gate, he sees a man waiting for him. The man asks, "Well, why didn't you pass through the other gate? They invited you through!" The hunter replies, "I ain't gonna go to heaven if I can't take my dog!" And all of a sudden the man looks brilliant, and the gait begins to glow, and the gate keeper says, "Well, my name is Peter, welcome to heaven!" The hunter remarks, "Well, I don't understand..? What's this all about?" And St. Peter says to him, "Heck, you think we want anyone in heaven that would leave his dog behind?!?"

_________________
Through the Sorrowful Passion of Jesus, have Mercy on us, and on the whole world...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 7575
Religion: Catholic
I always found this quote by Mark Twain to be a bit peculiar.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."

-Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:35 am 
Online
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 84082
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Doom wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
thank goodness for the rainbow bridge :cloud9: 8-)


What are you muttering on about?


http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:40 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 9654
Location: Here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

_________________
"If the world is against truth, then I am against the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:40 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:53 pm
Posts: 5911
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree Knight
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
1) If it is necessary for our happiness in heaven that animals, or at least some animals, go to Heaven, then they will.



When a child asks if his or her pet will be in Heaven, I reply, "Everything you need to be completely happy will be in Heaven."

_________________
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

What you see depends on what you thought before you looked. Eugene Taurman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Do animals go to heaven?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15210
Servant of Guadalupe wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
If animals go to heaven, it cannot be in the same way that humans do, for precisely the reason that Doom gives.
There's this hunter out with his dog, and they are attacked and killed by a bear, the both of them. They were out hunting together year in and year out. The epitomy of friendship. As they were walking down the trail toward the great big heavenly gate, the gatekeeper says to the hunter, "By golly, you made it to heaven! Welcome! Come on in, your life is about to really start!" As the hunter starts walking, he whistles to his dog to come along, and the gatekeeper stops him, "Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute! We don't allow dogs in here, you need to leave him outside!" The hunter looks at his dog, then looks beyond the gait, hesitates, and says, "Ah, never mind, I am going to go down the other trail. I am going to the other gate. I won't go to heaven if I have to leave my dog behind!" And so, off the hunter walks with his dog. When he comes up toward the other, darker gate, he sees a man waiting for him. The man asks, "Well, why didn't you pass through the other gate? They invited you through!" The hunter replies, "I ain't gonna go to heaven if I can't take my dog!" And all of a sudden the man looks brilliant, and the gait begins to glow, and the gate keeper says, "Well, my name is Peter, welcome to heaven!" The hunter remarks, "Well, I don't understand..? What's this all about?" And St. Peter says to him, "Heck, you think we want anyone in heaven that would leave his dog behind?!?"



I've seen this in an expanded version. It was also an episode on the original Twilight Zone.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Jump to: