Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Easter Vigil/ Easter Sunday
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Aww, Doom, you know if I didn't love ya, I wouldn't have fun with ya. And that's all it was - just a bad attempt at humor. If I did offend, my sincerest apologies. I wouldn't hurt anyone here intentionally.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:44 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
MrZoom wrote:
ghall512 wrote:
FWIW, at Vigil practice today, we were informed by Father that attending tonight does indeed fulfill the Obligation.

It had been explained to me in an earlier RCIA class that the liturgical day actually begins at 5 pm the evening before. That's why Saturday evening Mass has the liturgy for that coming Sunday, and why Saturday evening Masses don't begin before 5.

In most cases what I bolded is true, although there are exceptions ..... tonight is one big exception, obviously. So is Christmas (different readings at the Vigil, at Midnight, and for the Mass during the day).

But in the law there is no requirement that you have to hear a particular set of readings.

All it says is you must attend:
1) anywhere in a Catholic rite
2) on the day of the feast, or on the evening before.

If you have any doubt on that you can check the link on the Vatican website I linked above.

sure seems like this reply answered your concerns...which seemed to do with the different sets of readings... did it not?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Doom, your concern is one with the law itself. As the law is, the actual liturgical texts are irrelevant. A nuptial Mass or a Saturday ferial Mass late enough in the day, an Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy that would still be a Lenten liturgy tomorrow, all count as far as any legal obligation goes under the current law.

I share you concern (if the obligation on January 1st exists because of what the liturgy commemorates on that day, which should a wedding the day before fulfil the obligation, or a liturgy for St. Basil). It does under the current law, but it is odd.

My Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
ghall512 wrote:
Aww, Doom, you know if I didn't love ya, I wouldn't have fun with ya. And that's all it was - just a bad attempt at humor. If I did offend, my sincerest apologies. I wouldn't hurt anyone here intentionally.

unless they wuz messin' wit your dawgs!!!!!! :wave :mrgreen:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:15 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Doom wrote:
ExsurgeDomine wrote:
Thanks for your answer, I appreciate that. How is the Easter Vigil different from attending a Saturday evening mass at 5:30pm? That counts towards the Sunday obligation.

Because it is NOT AN EASTER MASS...that's how it's different....every other Saturday it is exactly the same as what you get on Sunday morning, but the East Vigil Mass is different from the Easter Mass....I don't see how NOT celebrating a Holy Day can substitute for celebrating a Holy Day...that just seems absurdly lax.

Doom, the Vigil is the first Mass of Easter. It is actually the most elaborate Mass of the year, it is the superbowl of Masses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
ExsurgeDomine wrote:
Thanks for your answer, I appreciate that. How is the Easter Vigil different from attending a Saturday evening mass at 5:30pm? That counts towards the Sunday obligation.

Because it is NOT AN EASTER MASS...that's how it's different....every other Saturday it is exactly the same as what you get on Sunday morning, but the East Vigil Mass is different from the Easter Mass....I don't see how NOT celebrating a Holy Day can substitute for celebrating a Holy Day...that just seems absurdly lax.

Doom, the Vigil is the first Mass of Easter. It is actually the most elaborate Mass of the year, it is the superbowl of Masses.

Without a halftime performance!

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
Solivagus in Mundi wrote:
Otherwise you would be unable to have a Sunday evening Mass be a Sunday Mass!

You do not understand my difficulty here AT ALL....

And I am not going to bother to continue to discuss this, because I already know how it will go, everybody here will insult me belittle me, tell how stupid and wrong I am (which has already happened, thanks for the knee to the groin ghall :wave ) and not once in ten paragraphs actually address my concern...

Have a blessed Easter I'm done here.... :wave

It would seem that yes many are having trouble understanding what you are claiming and what your difficulty is.

As authoritatively pointed out, the Easter Vigil Mass is the primary Mass for Easter, whether on the civilly recognized days of Saturday or Sunday—differing from that of the Church. It did seem your contention was the Saturday evening Vigil Mass did not represent an official Mass for the purpose of the Sunday Mass on Easter. That was wrong, which is why you're being told it was wrong. I see no belittling of you, just correction.

If you have a legitimate concern, cutting and running is not a way to get it addressed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Come Be My Light wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

Without a halftime performance?!? Whaddya call the baptisms and confirmations??? :incense

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:25 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

ghall512 wrote:
Come Be My Light wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

Without a halftime performance?!? Whaddya call the baptisms and confirmations??? :incense

I thought the Sacrament of Baptism was the halftime event. :D
(I wasn't the only lady who stepped out briefly ... )

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2