Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Is there an official Catholic repository where people can read actual exorcism accounts?

Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i just read one this weekend... and can't remember for the life of me where it was :DOH! but i doubt there is an official place accessible to the general public

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Several of the exorcism movies out there are based on real accounts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Bombadil wrote:

Yeah but Hollywood's idea of 'based on a true story' is 'all details are invented but the characters are named after people who actually exist'

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I would imagine the Church's position would be one of "don't sensationalize this stuff"; which I think is just a good policy on the matter.

I have a very skeptical friend who's interested in the topic... I was curious if I could find some sources where he can see firsthand that these are not attempts of the Church to glam up the issue to give people the wrong reasons for pursuing the holy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:36 pm 
The Exterminator

Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Yeah but Hollywood's idea of 'based on a true story' is 'all details are invented but the characters are named after people who actually exist'

Yes, I'm sure that may be the case with "The Exorcist", and they will all have had some poetic license taken, but I found "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to have the ring of truth to it. As far as movies go, I'd say it is the one I think is the closest.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:12 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
p.falk wrote:
I would imagine the Church's position would be one of "don't sensationalize this stuff"; which I think is just a good policy on the matter.

I have a very skeptical friend who's interested in the topic... I was curious if I could find some sources where he can see firsthand that these are not attempts of the Church to glam up the issue to give people the wrong reasons for pursuing the holy.

Have you read the book "The Rite"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 pm 
Deactived by request

Bombadil wrote:
Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Yes, I'm sure that may be the case with "The Exorcist", and they will all have had some poetic license taken, but I found "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to have the ring of truth to it. As far as movies go, I'd say it is the one I think is the closest.

I spoke to a very holy Catholic psychologist after viewing Emily Rose because I'd been disturbed by it. (No surprise. I normally don't watch things with supernatural themes that aren't strictly Catholic because my imagination is too uncontrollable.) This lady said she felt that the movie was somewhat irresponsible not to have clearly made the association between possession and the nature of a portal for entry. Emily Rose was made susceptible by a combination of things that weren't well explained.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 pm 
King of Cool

Bombadil wrote:
Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

It may be the closest to reality, but from what I've heard it took considerable liberties...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:44 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
An official repository? No. I second the recommendation of The Rite (the book, not the movie).

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:11 pm 
Master
Master

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
An official repository? No. I second the recommendation of The Rite (the book, not the movie).

Good book - in it most exorcisms are rather benign. The sensationalism seems more Hollywood than reality.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

"Hostage to the Devil" by Fr. Malachi Martin: true and thorough accounts of many exorcisms on 5 or 6 persons. I had to put the book away after i read three of the accounts. Sickning stuff.

(Dont' read it before you go to bed)

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm 

I have been searching for just such a location for many months and have come up empty-handed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 pm 
King of Cool

PDUBYA wrote:
"Hostage to the Devil" by Fr. Malachi Martin: true and thorough accounts of many exorcisms on 5 or 6 persons. I had to put the book away after i read three of the accounts. Sickning stuff.

I would not recommend ANYTHING but Malachi Martin, he is a reliable source.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 pm 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:

??

Did you mean he isn't a reliable source?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:55 pm 
King of Cool

Peetem wrote:
Doom wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:

??

Did you mean he isn't a reliable source?

Stupid autocorrect 'but' should be 'by'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I disagree.

I am for certain that he is identified as unreliable precisely because he is polemical in today's Catholic Church.

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Last edited by Dionysius on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 pm 
King of Cool

PDUBYA wrote:
I disagree.

So you think that in 1958 Cardinal Siri was elected Pope, but then the Cardinals forced him to abdicate when the Soviet Union phoned in a threat to nuke the Vatican? And that Siri was elected Pope again in 1963, and twice in 1978, before being forced to abdicate again in each of those conclaves, so that therefore, neither John XXIII, nor Paul VI nor John Paul I nor John Paul II nor Benedict XVI are legitimate Popes, because the real Pope (the Pope in exile) was Cardinal Siri aka Pope Gregory XVII, who was Pope from 1958 to 1989, and that since Siri's death in 1989 the Church has been without a Pope?

Because that is what Malachi Martin believed, and it is, by comparison, one of his more sane and rational opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:
I disagree.

So you think that in 1958 Cardinal Siri was elected Pope, but then the Cardinals forced him to abdicate when the Soviet Union phoned in a threat to nuke the Vatican? And that Siri was elected Pope again in 1963, and twice in 1978, before being forced to abdicate again in each of those conclaves, so that therefore, neither John XXIII, nor Paul VI nor John Paul I nor John Paul II nor Benedict XVI are legitimate Popes, because the real Pope (the Pope in exile) was Cardinal Siri aka Pope Gregory XVII, who was Pope from 1958 to 1989, and that since Siri's death in 1989 the Church has been without a Pope?

Because that is what Malachi Martin believed, and it is, by comparison, one of his more sane and rational opinions.

The sedavacanists have their "theory". If Fr. Martin said this, I certainly disagree and this is a dangerous position. However, this theory in itself does not negate the truth of things that he has personally witnessed and writes about. We can't say he is a liar since he (perhaps) holds to a particular theory that is theologically unsound. Writing about things he has personally seen and heard is one thing; writing about personal theological opinions-even perhaps based on hear-say is another.

I suppose that if what you wrote is true, I would not suggest to anyone picking up his book incase they can't make such distinctions as they read.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:40 am 
The Exterminator

He was a regular guest on Coast to Coast AM.

Ummmm........... nuff said?

It is for me. If it isn't for you either you're bonkers or haven't heard enough C2C.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next