Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:13 am
Posts: 873
Location: Wisconsin
Religion: Roman Catholic
Is there an official Catholic repository where people can read actual exorcism accounts?

_________________
For who we are and what we'll be/ I'll sing your praise eternally/ the miles we've shared I'd trade but few/ they're the ones that kept me away from you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 83613
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i just read one this weekend... and can't remember for the life of me where it was :DOH! but i doubt there is an official place accessible to the general public

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 pm 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22480
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Several of the exorcism movies out there are based on real accounts.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:26 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69107
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Bombadil wrote:
Several of the exorcism movies out there are based on real accounts.


Yeah but Hollywood's idea of 'based on a true story' is 'all details are invented but the characters are named after people who actually exist'

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:13 am
Posts: 873
Location: Wisconsin
Religion: Roman Catholic
I would imagine the Church's position would be one of "don't sensationalize this stuff"; which I think is just a good policy on the matter.

I have a very skeptical friend who's interested in the topic... I was curious if I could find some sources where he can see firsthand that these are not attempts of the Church to glam up the issue to give people the wrong reasons for pursuing the holy.

_________________
For who we are and what we'll be/ I'll sing your praise eternally/ the miles we've shared I'd trade but few/ they're the ones that kept me away from you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:36 pm 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22480
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Several of the exorcism movies out there are based on real accounts.


Yeah but Hollywood's idea of 'based on a true story' is 'all details are invented but the characters are named after people who actually exist'

Yes, I'm sure that may be the case with "The Exorcist", and they will all have had some poetic license taken, but I found "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to have the ring of truth to it. As far as movies go, I'd say it is the one I think is the closest.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:12 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:10 am
Posts: 29738
Location: Firin' up my still
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
p.falk wrote:
I would imagine the Church's position would be one of "don't sensationalize this stuff"; which I think is just a good policy on the matter.

I have a very skeptical friend who's interested in the topic... I was curious if I could find some sources where he can see firsthand that these are not attempts of the Church to glam up the issue to give people the wrong reasons for pursuing the holy.


Have you read the book "The Rite"?

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 pm 
Offline
Deactived by request

Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:19 am
Posts: 610
Location: Australia
Religion: Catholic
Bombadil wrote:
Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Several of the exorcism movies out there are based on real accounts.


Yeah but Hollywood's idea of 'based on a true story' is 'all details are invented but the characters are named after people who actually exist'

Yes, I'm sure that may be the case with "The Exorcist", and they will all have had some poetic license taken, but I found "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to have the ring of truth to it. As far as movies go, I'd say it is the one I think is the closest.


I spoke to a very holy Catholic psychologist after viewing Emily Rose because I'd been disturbed by it. (No surprise. I normally don't watch things with supernatural themes that aren't strictly Catholic because my imagination is too uncontrollable.) This lady said she felt that the movie was somewhat irresponsible not to have clearly made the association between possession and the nature of a portal for entry. Emily Rose was made susceptible by a combination of things that weren't well explained.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69107
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Bombadil wrote:
Doom wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Several of the exorcism movies out there are based on real accounts.


Yeah but Hollywood's idea of 'based on a true story' is 'all details are invented but the characters are named after people who actually exist'

Yes, I'm sure that may be the case with "The Exorcist", and they will all have had some poetic license taken, but I found "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to have the ring of truth to it. As far as movies go, I'd say it is the one I think is the closest.


It may be the closest to reality, but from what I've heard it took considerable liberties...

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:44 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:55 am
Posts: 66351
Location: 1.56381501 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
An official repository? No. I second the recommendation of The Rite (the book, not the movie).

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:11 pm 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:33 am
Posts: 2611
Religion: Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
An official repository? No. I second the recommendation of The Rite (the book, not the movie).


Good book - in it most exorcisms are rather benign. The sensationalism seems more Hollywood than reality.

_________________
"So mercifully blessed to be free from the ravages of intelligence." - Taken from Time Bandits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:23 am
Posts: 3421
Religion: Catholic
"Hostage to the Devil" by Fr. Malachi Martin: true and thorough accounts of many exorcisms on 5 or 6 persons. I had to put the book away after i read three of the accounts. Sickning stuff.

(Dont' read it before you go to bed)

_________________
"The only successful method will be that which bases harmony and agreement among Christ's faithful ones upon all the truths, and the whole of the truths, which God has revealed." -Pope Pius XII

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 am
Posts: 92
Location: Pennsylvania
Religion: Catholic
I have been searching for just such a location for many months and have come up empty-handed.

_________________
http://www.catholicsontheedge.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69107
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
PDUBYA wrote:
"Hostage to the Devil" by Fr. Malachi Martin: true and thorough accounts of many exorcisms on 5 or 6 persons. I had to put the book away after i read three of the accounts. Sickning stuff.

(Dont' read it before you go to bed)


I would not recommend ANYTHING but Malachi Martin, he is a reliable source.

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 pm 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:33 am
Posts: 2611
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:
"Hostage to the Devil" by Fr. Malachi Martin: true and thorough accounts of many exorcisms on 5 or 6 persons. I had to put the book away after i read three of the accounts. Sickning stuff.

(Dont' read it before you go to bed)


I would not recommend ANYTHING but Malachi Martin, he is a reliable source.


??

Did you mean he isn't a reliable source?

_________________
"So mercifully blessed to be free from the ravages of intelligence." - Taken from Time Bandits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:55 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69107
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peetem wrote:
Doom wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:
"Hostage to the Devil" by Fr. Malachi Martin: true and thorough accounts of many exorcisms on 5 or 6 persons. I had to put the book away after i read three of the accounts. Sickning stuff.

(Dont' read it before you go to bed)


I would not recommend ANYTHING but Malachi Martin, he is a reliable source.


??

Did you mean he isn't a reliable source?

Stupid autocorrect 'but' should be 'by'

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:23 am
Posts: 3421
Religion: Catholic
I disagree.

I am for certain that he is identified as unreliable precisely because he is polemical in today's Catholic Church.

_________________
"The only successful method will be that which bases harmony and agreement among Christ's faithful ones upon all the truths, and the whole of the truths, which God has revealed." -Pope Pius XII

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon


Last edited by Dionysius on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69107
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
PDUBYA wrote:
I disagree.


So you think that in 1958 Cardinal Siri was elected Pope, but then the Cardinals forced him to abdicate when the Soviet Union phoned in a threat to nuke the Vatican? And that Siri was elected Pope again in 1963, and twice in 1978, before being forced to abdicate again in each of those conclaves, so that therefore, neither John XXIII, nor Paul VI nor John Paul I nor John Paul II nor Benedict XVI are legitimate Popes, because the real Pope (the Pope in exile) was Cardinal Siri aka Pope Gregory XVII, who was Pope from 1958 to 1989, and that since Siri's death in 1989 the Church has been without a Pope?

Because that is what Malachi Martin believed, and it is, by comparison, one of his more sane and rational opinions.

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:23 am
Posts: 3421
Religion: Catholic
Doom wrote:
PDUBYA wrote:
I disagree.


So you think that in 1958 Cardinal Siri was elected Pope, but then the Cardinals forced him to abdicate when the Soviet Union phoned in a threat to nuke the Vatican? And that Siri was elected Pope again in 1963, and twice in 1978, before being forced to abdicate again in each of those conclaves, so that therefore, neither John XXIII, nor Paul VI nor John Paul I nor John Paul II nor Benedict XVI are legitimate Popes, because the real Pope (the Pope in exile) was Cardinal Siri aka Pope Gregory XVII, who was Pope from 1958 to 1989, and that since Siri's death in 1989 the Church has been without a Pope?

Because that is what Malachi Martin believed, and it is, by comparison, one of his more sane and rational opinions.


The sedavacanists have their "theory". If Fr. Martin said this, I certainly disagree and this is a dangerous position. However, this theory in itself does not negate the truth of things that he has personally witnessed and writes about. We can't say he is a liar since he (perhaps) holds to a particular theory that is theologically unsound. Writing about things he has personally seen and heard is one thing; writing about personal theological opinions-even perhaps based on hear-say is another.

I suppose that if what you wrote is true, I would not suggest to anyone picking up his book incase they can't make such distinctions as they read.

_________________
"The only successful method will be that which bases harmony and agreement among Christ's faithful ones upon all the truths, and the whole of the truths, which God has revealed." -Pope Pius XII

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Actual exorcism accounts?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:40 am 
Offline
The Exterminator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm
Posts: 22480
Location: The Old Forest
Religion: Númenórean Catholic
He was a regular guest on Coast to Coast AM.

Ummmm........... nuff said?



It is for me. If it isn't for you either you're bonkers or haven't heard enough C2C.

_________________
Sent from my Obamaphone


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Jump to: