Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Scapular of Mt. Carmel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:11 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
how can you faithfully wear the Brown Scapular w/o receiving Holy Communion... it seems to me you have missed an important part of wearing the scapular

Quote:
"Receive this Scapular, a sign of your special relationship with Mary, the Mother of Jesus, whom you pledge to imitate.

did our Mother receive Holy Communion regularly?

" However, simply to wear the scapular without accepting the responsibilities attached to it would be to reduce this precious sacramental to the status of a charm or good-luck piece. "

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 pm 
Master
Master

Servant of Guadalupe wrote:
I owe my life to devotion to the Scapular and my mom's devotion to the Rosary. The promise is real.

Care to elaborate?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
Peetem wrote:
I owe my life to devotion to the Scapular and my mom's devotion to the Rosary. The promise is real.

Care to elaborate?

I had left the Catholic Faith, became involved in occult activity, but never gave up a certain devotion to Blessed Mother. I continued to wear the Brown Scapular, and I attribute that to my mother praying the Rosary. On August 15, 1999, my heart stopped. I should be in hell. I am still alive due to the Scapular. I kept that devotion due to my mother's prayers. August 15th is the Feast of the Assumption and also my mother's birthday, may she rest in peace. That was my re-conversion to the Holy Catholic Faith in a nutshell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:22 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Cursillo & KofC
faithfulservant wrote:
how can you faithfully wear the Brown Scapular w/o receiving Holy Communion... it seems to me you have missed an important part of wearing the scapular

Quote:
"Receive this Scapular, a sign of your special relationship with Mary, the Mother of Jesus, whom you pledge to imitate.

" However, simply to wear the scapular without accepting the responsibilities attached to it would be to reduce this precious sacramental to the status of a charm or good-luck piece. "

I absolutely disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:01 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: TOC, KofC
Just to jump into the middle of this discussion - the scapular medal is authorized for wear by anyone other than TOC's. For us, the scapular is our habit and must be worn. For others, once you're invested in the scapular (with an actual brown cloth scapular) you have the option of wearing the medal.

"For Tolkein, Catholicism was not an opinion to which one subscribed but a reality to which one submitted." J. Pearce in Tolkein: Man and Myth - So I guess I'm in good company.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:21 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Dorothy B. wrote:
Remember, the first time your cloth scapular is blessed, that blessing will automatically pass on to the one you replace it with.

Ah, I did not know that. Already told my pastor I got it and he is planning on blessing it anyway. He likes to bless things. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
faithfulservant wrote:
Quote:
A few basic introductory principles of Carmelite spirituality would be—

frequent participation in the Mass and reception of Holy Communion;
frequent reading of and meditation on the Word of God in Sacred Scripture;
the regular praying of at least part of the Liturgy of the Hours;
imitation of and devotion to Mary, the woman of faith who hears the Word of God and puts it into practice;
the practice of the virtues, notably charity, chastity (according to one’s state of life), and obedience to the will of God.

how does one receive Holy Communion if not Catholic :scratch:

You do not have to be Catholic to be enrolled in the Scapular. I said nothing concerning Holy Communion.

Yes, one does not have to be Catholic. Thank you for pointing that out. I know of two people, who having been told about the scapular and desired to wear it. The priest blessed it and enrolled/invested them. It is a sacramental; and when one begins to be a better friend of Jesus and his mother wonderful things can happen. There is no reason to deny them a sacramental. Of course, they cannot receive the sacraments unless they freely decide to learn about and accept the Catholic faith in the usual way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Desertfalcon wrote:
Dorothy B. wrote:
Remember, the first time your cloth scapular is blessed, that blessing will automatically pass on to the one you replace it with.

Ah, I did not know that. Already told my pastor I got it and he is planning on blessing it anyway. He likes to bless things. :)

That is good... :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

faithfulservant wrote:

Quote:

Faithful Servant,

Those responsibilities do apply to Catholics.

Our separated brothers and sisters may not yet understand all they need to, and their faith in God's grace through the scapular can help them, and only the Lord knows, and we hope, that their faith leads them to where God wants them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:02 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

faithfulservant wrote:

I absolutely disagree.

No, it's true. It's like wearing a Rosary purely as a fashion statement: it devalues the sacramental's meaning. Which is not to say that God can't use the sacramental as a conduit of grace, but we must remember that the efficacy of a sacramental usually depends on the disposition of the receiver.

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Turgonian wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

I absolutely disagree.

No, it's true. It's like wearing a Rosary purely as a fashion statement: it devalues the sacramental's meaning. Which is not to say that God can't use the sacramental as a conduit of grace, but we must remember that the efficacy of a sacramental usually depends on the disposition of the receiver.

Yes, that is true that the efficacy of the sacramental depends on the disposition of the one who accepts it. However, in the case of those who are attracted to that sacramental without understanding all the truths of the Catholic faith, the sacramental can be a conduit of grace, as you said. It is necessary and right for the priest conferring the scapular to give some instruction about it, and not just to indiscriminately hand out the scapular.

The Lord takes us from where we are coming, and wants to increase His Life in us.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2