Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 57 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: What Bible?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 pm 

Religion: Baptist
Does the Catholic Church have one translation of the bible that is used by the whole church. Are other translations accepted such as NIV, KJV, ESV, etc.

I will probably be buying a Catholic Bible soon, so I want to make sure I get the right one.

Post subject: Re: What Bible?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The New American Bible is the translation used at Mass (with slight modifications) throughout the United States.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:40 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
Also, if you like older English, the KJV is not the way to go. It was deliberately translated to not be Catholic. The Douay-Rheims Bible would be the Church's equivalent.

Any translation of the Bible that has been approved by the proper authorities (i.e. been given an Imprimatur by a bishop) is a "Catholic Bible", though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Actually the imprimatur is usually for the footnotes, not for the translation itself.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

the most common Catholic English translations are:

the New American Bible
the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition
the Douay-Rheims Bible
the New Jerusalem Bible
the Jerusalem Bible (out of print, so far as I know)

(of those, I'd recommend the RSV or the DRB, although the NAB is most similar to what you hear at Mass ... the Jerusalem Bible is okay. From what I understand, you want to avoid the New Jerusalem.)

If you get another translation, make sure it has the deuterocanonical books in it (they're absent from most Protestant Bibles).

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Louis-Marie Flambeau wrote:
is okay. From what I understand, you want to avoid the New Jerusalem.)

The Jerusalem Bible is still in print....in the 1968 'Reader's Edition' which strips 90% of the notes...not in the original two volume edition.

The New Jerusalem Bible is vastly superior to the original....vastly....in every single respect...it is more readable, more literal, its language is more natural and less awkward, it uses fewer 'abnormal' words that you have to look up in a dictionary to understand, it sounds better when read aloud, its diction is more natural and fluid....with the original Jerusalem Bible is it obvious in places that it was actually translated from the French, rather the Greek or Hebrew as it uses French diction and sometimes even French word order, the New Jerusalem is what the Jerusalem Bible should have been if not for the fact that it was a rushed production assembled in than 8 years....the original Jerusalem Bible is rather sloppy and lazy frankly, as I said, it is obvious in places that the translators took the shortcut of translation from the French rather than from the original languages....all of these problems are fixed in the New Jerusalem...in fact, the New Jerusalem is so superior that I am wondering why the original is still in print...it really shouldn't be....it has been superseded....

Therefore.....let it burn.

Last edited by Doom on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:50 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP

the New American Bible
the Douay-Rheims Bible
the New Jerusalem Bible

(of those, I'd recommend the RSV or the DRB, although the NAB is most similar to what you hear at Mass ... the Jerusalem Bible is okay. From what I understand, you want to avoid the New Jerusalem.)

If you get another translation, make sure it has the deuterocanonical books in it (they're absent from most Protestant Bibles).

For the record, the New American Bible Revised Edition is the most recent, it is the translation on the USCCB website, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:53 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
in every single respect

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/bible_versions.htm

Quote:
7. New Jerusalem Bible (1990). A revision of the Jerusalem Bible directly from the original languages. It contains inclusive language, similar to that rejected in the revised NAB by the Holy See for use in the liturgy, but is considered a very literary text, and comparable in quality to the NRSV in scholarship.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:54 am 
King of Cool

kage_ar wrote:

the New American Bible
the Douay-Rheims Bible
the New Jerusalem Bible

For the record, the New American Bible Revised Edition is the most recent, it is the translation on the USCCB website, etc.

And just yesterday the bishop's authorized a revision of the New Testament...which won't be ready for a while I'm sure....I'm not sure if the New Testament translation committee is even in place...since the New Testament was last revised in 1986, 25 years ago, there probably isn't even a translation committee right now....first they will have to assemble a team to produce the translation....and that will likely take a few years....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 am 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:
in every single respect

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/bible_versions.htm

Quote:
7. New Jerusalem Bible (1990). A revision of the Jerusalem Bible directly from the original languages. It contains inclusive language, similar to that rejected in the revised NAB by the Holy See for use in the liturgy, but is considered a very literary text, and comparable in quality to the NRSV in scholarship.

Really? Is that the best you can do? Have you ever actually READ the New Jerusalem Bible? I would not hesitate to say that it handles gender translation issues better than any translation in print today.....certainly better than either the RSV or the NAB....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:07 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
Really? Is that the best you can do?

Finding one issue on which it is not better than the Jerusalem Bible is sufficient to prove that it is not better in every respect. I would think as a mathematician you would understand that. 8-)

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:25 am 

Religion: Baptist
Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:

Finding one issue on which it is not better than the Jerusalem Bible is sufficient to prove that it is not better in every respect. I would think as a mathematician you would understand that. 8-)

I see Protestants are not the only ones that can't agree on a translation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:38 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Actually the imprimatur is usually for the footnotes, not for the translation itself.

Oh, thank you for pointing that out. Didn't know that, and I'd hate to mislead anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:41 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
milby wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:

I see Protestants are not the only ones that can't agree on a translation.

I'm a Confraternity man myself. I love it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confraternity_Bible

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:47 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Traduttore, traditore. That's Italian for "To translate is to betray," and while the saying is on the cynical side, there's some truth to it. There really is no such thing as a completely literal translation because words in every language carry all sorts of overtones, connotations, etc., and there is never, ever a word in one language that is an exact perfect match for a word in a different language. The translator always has to choose the one he thinks works best. That's why you get arguments over literal vs. dynamic translations: all translations are dynamic, and the only question is how dynamic you're willing to go.

I prefer less dynamic and in general think that's the better choice, but that's what drives part of the argument. A more dynamic translation can be much more readable.

And then there are the passages where the underlying original itself is ambiguous (e.g. John 3:7, which can be "born anew" or "born from above"). A good translation will footnote these so you're at least aware of both choices.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:51 pm 

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
But the main thing to notice here is that since Father Kenobi posted directly under me and did not express disagreement, he has implicitly agreed with me. :fyi:

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
gherkin wrote:
But the main thing to notice here is that since Father Kenobi posted directly under me and did not express disagreement, he has implicitly agreed with me. :fyi:

preach it brotha!!! 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:16 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gherkin wrote:
I disagree with this argument. :cloud9:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:37 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I think the original Latin Vulgate by St. Jerome is the official Bible of the Church. Too bad we don't have a copy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Bombadil wrote:
I think the original Latin Vulgate by St. Jerome is the official Bible of the Church. Too bad we don't have a copy.

It's also free from error, I believe.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 57 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next