Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 5   [ 83 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: seeking the truth
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:22 pm 

Religion: Baptist
I have been a member of Southern Baptist Churches all my life. I am beginning to feel that somethings just not "right". There are so many different denominations in the Protestant religion and all think they are right.

I guess I am just searching for the truth. I am trying to learn about the Catholic Church now. I have some friends that say they are Catholic. (I have actually been trying to convert them but I think I know more about their church than they do.

I was always taught that we are saved by faith only and not works but It seems that there are a lot of people in my church that say they are saved but sure don't act any different from the "world"

Anyway I guess I am just looking for the truth. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: seeking the truth
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:11 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Welcome, Milby!

I was once a Southern Baptist myself, but I happily crossed the Tiber this Easter. Mine was a long but very fulfilling journey. Ask away--I probably won't have all the answers, but the folks here are knowledgeable and eager to help seekers. I'll be glad to chat with you. :wave

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:29 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome milby... ex-southern baptist, tiber swim team alum of 1998

sadly there are plenty of Catholics who not only do not know their faith but also are far from living their faith...but then you have experienced that within your ecclesial community as well

while you are formulating your questions, you might find this succinct booklet informative...

http://www.catholic.com/documents/pilla ... r-of-truth

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:02 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Welcome Milby!

I'm very familiar with your situation. At one point in my life I was also seeking the truth. After much prayer, I was led Home, by the grace of God, to His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. It was a true blessing to receive His glorious guidance, and I pray that you may also be blessed in your journey.

Pray...research...pray...ask questions...and pray!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:02 pm 

Religion: Baptist
Thanks for the replies so far. The Catholic Church in our town had a garage sale today ironically, and I stopped by and grabbed several informational booklets while my wife "shopped". I haven't had a chance to read them yet.

Quick question. I know Matthew 16:18 is a key verse that the Catholic church is founded upon. Protestants (by the way, do you call us Protestants or just Christians?) argue that Jesus isn't talking about Peter literally being the cornerstone of the Church because the rest of the New Testament implies that Jesus is the cornerstone. I see how you can interpret that scripture both ways. So how can one know for SURE which side is correct?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:10 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
How can one know for sure what any difficult passage of Scripture means? The only answer is to turn to someone with authority to answer that question; if the history of Protestantism has shown anything, it has shown that the Bible alone without an authoritative interpreter has a dizzying number of possible understandings.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome, Milby.

You have come to the right place. There are lots of knowledgeable people that are on this board.

Lisa

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:21 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Byzantine Catholic
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
milby wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. The Catholic Church in our town had a garage sale today ironically, and I stopped by and grabbed several informational booklets while my wife "shopped". I haven't had a chance to read them yet.

Quick question. I know Matthew 16:18 is a key verse that the Catholic church is founded upon. Protestants (by the way, do you call us Protestants or just Christians?) argue that Jesus isn't talking about Peter literally being the cornerstone of the Church because the rest of the New Testament implies that Jesus is the cornerstone. I see how you can interpret that scripture both ways. So how can one know for SURE which side is correct?

For me, the KEY to understanding the scriptures is the covenant of God. If you introduce the covenant principle of hierarchy (headship) then the verse in Matt. 16: 18 is solved.

1. First of all, that verse is not talking about Peter being the CORNERSTONE. Not even implied. We know from other verses in the scriptures that Jesus is called the cornerstone.

2. Every covenant structure (family, kingdom, parish, etc.) has a covenant head. Adam was the covenant head over mankind in the Garden. When he fell, he forfeited that position legally to the evil one. Jesus, as the Last Adam (1 Corin. 15:45) is the new covenant head over the whole Church. Mankind now has a glorious Head in Heaven Who rules as King.

3. However, in His absence from the earthly Church, there still must be a HEAD (headship, or leadership, is essential to the running of covenant units such as family or kingdom). Therefore, Jesus is appointing Peter to be the covenant head over the earthly covenant structure of the Church. In this authority, Peter is still subservient to Jesus as the covenant head over all mankind, but the covenant structure on earth is not left without headship that can be heard, understood, and obeyed.

4. A picture of this is the Suzeranity covenants (which are political covenants) which existed in the time of Abraham and the OT. The Suzerain would be a great king over a powerful kingdom. When the "time of war" (2 Sam. 11:1) came, the greater king would offer the lesser kings around him the benefits of entering into covenant with him. The greater king ruled over all lesser kings under his protection, yet they had a certain amount of sovereignty over their citizens even after submitting to the covenant with the greater king. This is a picture of the kingdom of God as it exists now. The Church is the lesser kingdom. Peter is the "king" over the kingdom (in the person of the pope) and the greater king is the Lord Jesus Christ.

5. The problem with the Protestant interpretation of Matthew is that it leaves the kingdom on earth without headship. You yourself have seen the chaos that has followed, haven't you?

Finally, go to Isaiah 22:20-25 and read those verses. Jesus is the Servant upon who's shoulders the key to the kingdom was placed. The Pharisees knew this verse well. When Jesus made the statement in their hearing that He was giving the key to the Kingdom to Peter, He was saying in essence to the Pharisees "That's right. "I" am the Servant of Isaiah 22:22 and "I" have the key which was placed on my should and "I" am giving it to whom I choose!"

It was a very "in yer face" moment of confrontation with the Pharisees. And knowing the scriptures as they did, I know they "got it." Which fact just drove them a little more crazy.

Hope that helps. Would be glad to answer any questions this raises for you!

And welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:21 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
from the link i gave you

Quote:
The Pope and Bishops (CCC 880–883)

Jesus gave Peter special authority among the apostles (John 21:15–17) and signified this by changing his name from Simon to Peter, which means "rock" (John 1:42). He said Peter was to be the rock on which he would build his Church (Matt. 16:18).

In Aramaic, the language Jesus spoke, Simon’s new name was Kepha (which means a massive rock). Later this name was translated into Greek as Petros (John 1:42) and into English as Peter. Christ gave Peter alone the "keys of the kingdom" (Matt. 16:19) and promised that Peter’s decisions would be binding in heaven. He also gave similar power to the other apostles (Matt. 18:18), but only Peter was given the keys, symbols of his authority to rule the Church on earth in Jesus’ absence.

Christ, the Good Shepherd, called Peter to be the chief shepherd of his Church (John 21:15–17). He gave Peter the task of strengthening the other apostles in their faith, ensuring that they taught only what was true (Luke 22:31–32). Peter led the Church in proclaiming the gospel and making decisions (Acts 2:1– 41, 15:7–12).

Early Christian writings tell us that Peter’s successors, the bishops of Rome (who from the earliest times have been called by the affectionate title of "pope," which means "papa"), continued to exercise Peter’s ministry in the Church.

The pope is the successor to Peter as bishop of Rome. The world’s other bishops are successors to the apostles in general.

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hi milby :) Welcome. I was born and raised Southern Baptist. I converted to Catholicism when I was 40. I've been Catholic a good long time now. Never will turn back. I also was searching for 'truth'. And I also found it in the Holy Catholic Church. I hope the best for you.

Blessings,

Gracie

http://grandmajennysattic.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I smell fried chicken. :fyi:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Welcome, btw! :wave

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:58 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Desertfalcon wrote:

mmmmm ..... fried chicken

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:53 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

MrZoom wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

'Tis the Sacrament of Baptist Church Festivals worldwide!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:09 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Light of the East wrote:
MrZoom wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

Possibly a minor reason I left the Baptists.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

GKC wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
MrZoom wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

GKC

***gasp*** :shock: :shock: :shock: ***gasp***

You don't like fried chicken!!??

Heretic!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:40 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Light of the East wrote:
GKC wrote:
Light of the East wrote:
MrZoom wrote:
Desertfalcon wrote:

GKC

***gasp*** :shock: :shock: :shock: ***gasp***

You don't like fried chicken!!??

Heretic!!!

I prefer to think of myself as schismatic. But no, I don't eat fried chicken.

Sometimes will eat a fried chicken strip or something similar.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:41 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
A kindergarten teacher gave her class a "show and tell" assignment. Each student was instructed to bring in an object to share with the class that represented their religion.

The first student got up in front of the class and said, "My name is Benjamin and I am Jewish and this is a Star of David."

The second student got up in front of the class and said, "My name is Mary. I'm a Catholic and this is a Rosary."

The third student got in up front of the class and said, "My name is Tommy. I am Baptist, and this is a casserole."

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:45 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
A kindergarten teacher gave her class a "show and tell" assignment. Each student was instructed to bring in an object to share with the class that represented their religion.

The first student got up in front of the class and said, "My name is Benjamin and I am Jewish and this is a Star of David."

The second student got up in front of the class and said, "My name is Mary. I'm a Catholic and this is a Rosary."

The third student got in up front of the class and said, "My name is Tommy. I am Baptist, and this is a casserole."

I do a great sweet potato casserole.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:47 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Sweet Potato pie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpD2L5J4CW4

Therefore.....let it burn.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 5   [ 83 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next