Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 5   [ 98 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:10 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Religion: Catholic
Bonaventure wrote:
As for phenomenology, anyone who has read my posts knows that I'm not a big fan, but that was included mostly because of the popularity of JPII.

What is that? And why would it be included because someone is popular instead of recommending something for that fact that it is good?

"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Hmm, do any of you know where I can get the cathecism of the council of Trent in bookform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:40 am 
Paladin
Paladin

Ivar wrote:
Hmm, do any of you know where I can get the cathecism of the council of Trent in bookform?

Ta da.

"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:06 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

A. Long wrote:
Bonaventure wrote:
As for phenomenology, anyone who has read my posts knows that I'm not a big fan, but that was included mostly because of the popularity of JPII.

What is that? And why would it be included because someone is popular instead of recommending something for that fact that it is good?

I didn't say it wasn't good and I'm just recommending it just because it is popular. I said JPII was popular. He and other writers such as Dietrich Von Hildebrand made use of phenomenology and someone wishing to understand their thought might want to be familiar with it.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:54 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

A. Long wrote:
Ivar wrote:

Ta da.

Thanks. Ordering it as we speak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thanks to Bonaventure and everyone to compiling this list.

"The fact is that under the pretext of goodness, people neglect conscience. They place acceptance, the avoidance of problems, the comfortable pursuit of their existence, the good opinion of others and good-naturedness above truth in the scale of values. "
- Pope Benedict XVI

"Don't give up your ideals, don't compromise, don't turn to expediency — and don't, for heaven's sake, having seen the inner workings of the watch — don't get cynical."
-- Ronald Reagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:59 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Bonaventure

I know I am a newbie and have only read a handful of the books on that list but what do you think about The Way by St. Josemaria Escriva? I read it and was blown away by it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:33 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

CatholicConvertBill wrote:
Bonaventure

I know I am a newbie and have only read a handful of the books on that list but what do you think about The Way by St. Josemaria Escriva? I read it and was blown away by it.

I have that as well and I really liked it. Lots of holy wisdom and advice in there. Its a very good book IMHO.

BTW, all of St. Escriva's works can be read online here.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Bonaventure wrote:
CatholicConvertBill wrote:
Bonaventure

I have that as well and I really liked it. Lots of holy wisdom and advice in there. Its a very good book IMHO.

BTW, all of St. Escriva's works can be read online here.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:13 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Okay. I'm rotten with gift certificates after Christmas, and want to purchase a Revised Standard Edition Bible (Catholic style, of course).

I picked up an NAB bible a few months ago, but it's tiny and not good for notes. I've also read that the footnotes are suspect. I'm going to use it as my "backup" or "compare" Bible.

Here's what I'm looking for, and I hope some of you might be able to help me find it in terms of make/model:

A sturdy paperback bible.
Good size (not huge font, but not too small for highlighting)
Preferably paper that is not tissue thin so I can highlight and make notes

Anyone have any editions they can point me toward? I'm not having much luck telling online, and the local Catholic bookstore only sells NAB. Thanks in advance!

"The fact is that under the pretext of goodness, people neglect conscience. They place acceptance, the avoidance of problems, the comfortable pursuit of their existence, the good opinion of others and good-naturedness above truth in the scale of values. "
- Pope Benedict XVI

"Don't give up your ideals, don't compromise, don't turn to expediency — and don't, for heaven's sake, having seen the inner workings of the watch — don't get cynical."
-- Ronald Reagan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:21 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I always recommend "Catholic Christianity" by Richard Chilson. Our RCIA class used it and I found it quite informative.

Phil. 1:21 GO IRISH !!!!
For the DCF Children ImageImageImage[ ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:51 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
VoxOrion wrote:
Okay. I'm rotten with gift certificates after Christmas, and want to purchase a Revised Standard Edition Bible (Catholic style, of course).

I picked up an NAB bible a few months ago, but it's tiny and not good for notes. I've also read that the footnotes are suspect. I'm going to use it as my "backup" or "compare" Bible.

Here's what I'm looking for, and I hope some of you might be able to help me find it in terms of make/model:

A sturdy paperback bible.
Good size (not huge font, but not too small for highlighting)
Preferably paper that is not tissue thin so I can highlight and make notes

Anyone have any editions they can point me toward? I'm not having much luck telling online, and the local Catholic bookstore only sells NAB. Thanks in advance!

Does it really need to be a paper Bible? Because the New English Translation, an 'open source' English translation done by Internet scholars, is free, and available for download. It has excellent, completely non sectarian, translation notes too.

The Catholic Edition, featuring the 'apocrypha' is not yet finished, but will be soon.

Go here:

http://www.bible.org/netbible/

Since it is open source, it isn't copyrighted, so you can copy and paste, or revise the wording, to your heart's delight!

A similar project is the 'Free Bible' which is wiki Bible, is just getting started and looks promising.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/WS:WPWB

There is also the 'Catholic Public Domain' translation, which is going to be a translation of the Clementine Vulgate into modern English, based loosely on the Douay Rheims.

http://www.sacredbible.org/

In short, I think that free, public domain open source translations may be the wave of the future, 'official' translations sponsored by some Church or organization might be a thing of the past.

Therefore.....let it burn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:03 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
And of course the Douay-Rheims itself is freely available on the web.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quote:
In short, I think that free, public domain open source translations may be the wave of the future, 'official' translations sponsored by some Church or organization might be a thing of the past.

There will still be lectionaries and still be the tradition of the English language to contend with.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:17 pm 
King of Cool

And here is another public domain translation I have just discovered, the World English Translation, which is based on the American Standard Version of 1901, and yes it does include the 'apocrypha':

http://www.ebible.org/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:23 pm 
King of Cool

St. Maximilian Kolbe wrote:
There will still be lectionaries and still be the tradition of the English language to contend with.

As far as lectionaries go, I rather think that the companies that publish them would prefer it if they DIDN'T have to pay a fee for the copyright for the translation they use, as would the consumers who pay for them. Using public domain translations means lower prices for everybody. Can't really argue with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Santa Doom wrote:
As far as lectionaries go, I rather think that the companies that publish them would prefer it if they DIDN'T have to pay a fee for the copyright for the translation they use, as would the consumers who pay for them. Using public domain translations means lower prices for everybody. Can't really argue with that.

Sure, but it's also bishops' conferences and the Holy See who have to approve them. They may go that way, or they may not, of course.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:33 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
St. Maximilian Kolbe wrote:
Sure, but it's also bishops' conferences and the Holy See who have to approve them. They may go that way, or they may not, of course.

Exactly. Why would the USCCB approve a public domain translation when they can insist on their own translation (i.e., the NAB) being used instead?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:43 pm 
King of Cool

Oh, those 'official' translations are never going to go away completely, just as traditional licensed software will never go away COMPLETELY, but when people start realizing just how good free, open source software can be, they won't buy commercial licensed software any more.

It is getting to the point where ordinary consumers are starting to EXPECT that their computer applications will be free.

Basically, I think that traditional, licensed software that you have to pay for is going to exist SOLELY for extremely technical and business applications, such as Mathematica and Microsoft Powerpoint. 50 years from now, the only people who will be paying for software will be professionals and businesses. Ordinary consumers will be getting all their software, including their operating systems 100% free.

The same is likely to be true with Bible translations. Ordinary readers will use a free, public domain translation, while the traditional copyrighted versions will be reserved exclusively for 'big' functions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:15 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Says the Windows Vista fan! :P

One more quibble: There's already an open source version of PowerPoint.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 5   [ 98 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next