Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 98 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:59 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
The KJV used to be on the Index.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post subject: Re: Book Recommendations for Investigating the Catholic Faith
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:54 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Catholic
Bon check out the link to this book in the list.

Quote:
Conformity with the Will of God by Saint Alphonsus Liguori Online Text Here

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:10 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Thank you. I'll fix that right away.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:58 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Has anybody read The Sanctifier by the late Archbishop Luis Martinez (Mexico City)? It was recommended by Mother Angelica and I ordered and read it and thought it was a one of the better spirituality books (with some theology mixed in) that I have read.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanctifier-Luis-M ... 007&sr=8-2

"The more we honor the Blessed Virgin, the more we honor Jesus Christ, because we honor Mary only that we may the more perfectly honor Jesus, since we go to her only as the way by which we are to find the end we are seeking, which is Jesus."

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:32 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
EWTN has a good 'morals' book section, dealing with abortion, euthanasia, homosexuality, ect.

http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/C ... d/Category

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:59 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Everybody on this board needs to read...

"The Fire Within" by Thomas Dubay

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Within-Teres ... 253&sr=1-4

Father Dubay's synthesis of St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa's teachings is absolutely fantastic. Anybody who has read or attempted to read St. Teresa knows how nice it is to hear here teachings put down in a way we beginners and novices can understand.

-St. Louis De Montfort

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 am 

You can never go wrong with GK Chesterton. I've taken Orthodoxy and The Everlasting Man and divvied them up into reading selections with titles. So it allows the online reader to willy nilly flip through some of the minor keys of his thought:

Mysticism
The Sun of Transcendentalism, The Moon Of Detached Intellectualism
Ordinary People Have A Much More Exciting Time
Reason Is A Matter Of Faith
The Thought That Stops Thought
Joan Of Arc And Her Master
Beliefs And Institutions
There Is No Victory Or Superiority In Nature
Work Of Nature, Work Of Art

There are a slew of others, but you get the idea. For me it has been a good way to come up with a GK quote when I need one.

Anyways, you can check it out here:

http://payingattentiontothesky.wordpres ... orthodoxy/

for orthodoxy and here for Everlasting Man:

http://payingattentiontothesky.wordpres ... sting-man/

Enjoy.

DJ

His second night in Talkingham, Hazel Motes walked along down town ... The black sky was underpinned with long silver streaks that looked like scaffolding and depth on depth behind it were thousands of stars that seemed to be moving very slowly as if they were about some vast construction work that involved the whole order of the universe and would take all of time to complete. No one was paying attention to the sky.
Flannery O’Connor
http://payingattentiontothesky.com

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:59 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
CCB wrote:

Father Dubay's synthesis of St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa's teachings is absolutely fantastic. Anybody who has read or attempted to read St. Teresa knows how nice it is to hear here teachings put down in a way we beginners and novices can understand.
I almost agree with this. But I know reasonable people who object to Dubay's presentation (usually, IIRC, on the grounds of excessive harshness). And it's also not necessarily a book for absolute beginners. Bottom life (for this and any book): If it's not helping, stop reading.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:23 am 

CCB wrote:

I enjoyed "Authenticity" by Fr. Dubay. A couple of quotes:

Discernment
The most important elements in discerning the Holy Spirit are scarcely mentioned in the literature of the past decade. These important elements are the subject of this book. We will not repeat what has been amply said about processes and techniques. This we shall suppose. Our concern shall center on what is far more important.
Among things that are more important is a conversion readiness, for not all those who think they are listening to the Holy Spirit are listening to the Holy Spirit. This readiness implies so basic an inner change that we ought not easily to suppose we have achieved it. Scripture says a great deal about the conditions necessary before one is uncluttered enough to detect the gentle voice of God speaking in the depths of the person.

In one way discernment is most simple, that is, when one has become a saint. In another way it is complex, even impossible, that is, when one is a sinner. Because most of us would be inclined to select the latter category as self descriptive, the message of this volume is necessary. It is not written for illuminists, those who have so assured themselves that they have a privileged access to the Holy Spirit that no amount of external evidence will change their mind. It is written for us publicans who know ourselves to be sinners and ignorant of many things. It is written for the little ones and the repentant, because it is to these that the Father has chosen to reveal his mysteries (Lk 10:21 -22).

Discernment is no fad. It works. But only discernment according to the divine mind works. Anything less turns out to be another gimmick, a fad here today and gone tomorrow. The genuine article shares in the stability of its Author: Yesterday, today, yes and forever.

Authenticity
What is authenticity? Our English word derives from the Greek authentikos, primary or original. It refers to a correspondence to the factual situation, a not-being-false or merely an appearance. Authenticity is reality without sham. An ancient manuscript is said to be authentic when its origin is verified by adequate evidences, internal and external.

The human person is authentic to the extent that he lives the truth. He conforms his mind, words, actions to what is. His mind reflects reality and his speech reflects his mind. Synonyms therefore are honesty, fidelity, reliability, trustworthiness, genuineness.
But more in required. The human person must be whole to be completely authentic. In the present economy of salvation wholeness demands divinization. There is only one enough for man and that is the divine Enough. Anything less is incomplete, truncated. We are dynamically orientated to the absolute Holy One, to him who is fullness of beauty, truth, love, joy, ecstasy. There is consequently no fully authentic ‘natural man’. The Father made us in the image of his Son so that anything less than conformity to this image is a falling away from the authentikos, the original.

The genuine man or woman measures up to the real, to the factual situation. He is humble because he knows and professes himself to be neither more nor less than he actually is. He is singleminded in his pursuits, for he operates with the pure motivation of eating and drinking and doing all else for the glory of God (1 Cor 10:31), a thing easy to say but impossible to do without its being a divine gift. He accepts the whole Gospel, not simply the popular, pleasant parts of it. He welcomes correction because he knows himself to be ignorant of many things and a sinner besides (Prov 9:7-9). He is patient under rejection for he knows that those who do live fully in conformity to Christ Jesus are sure to be persecuted (2 Tim 3:12). He is unafraid to speak out the truth, the unpopular truth (2 Cor 4:2). Especially is he authentic because he is a total lover of God, and love brings all the other ingredients of authenticity (1 Cor 13:4-7).

I'm currently reading Modern Physics Ancient Faiths by Steven M. Barr. I had encountered it after reading a longish essay based on it. I've summarized it in a series of posts on Science and Religion (link below has a category page named that)

DJ

His second night in Talkingham, Hazel Motes walked along down town ... The black sky was underpinned with long silver streaks that looked like scaffolding and depth on depth behind it were thousands of stars that seemed to be moving very slowly as if they were about some vast construction work that involved the whole order of the universe and would take all of time to complete. No one was paying attention to the sky.
Flannery O’Connor
http://payingattentiontothesky.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic-The "First Christians"
Wish I could print this list of books, but my printer is on the fritz! I saw a fantastic bumper sticker: So many books, so little time! Alas, the story of my life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:14 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Mt 16:18
Bon --
Does a link to this text still exist online? The link on 'the list' doesn't work.
- Free from all error by William G Most

peace.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

SlowButFaithful wrote:
Bon --
Does a link to this text still exist online? The link on 'the list' doesn't work.
- Free from all error by William G Most

peace.

SBF, try here. :)

Bon, could you please update your link accordingly?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:02 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

There are several books by Father Most in the list and I have just now updated them all. Thank you for the reminder.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:08 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Thanks, Bon!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm 

I know this thread is somewhat old, but it has such wonderful resources. Thanks for composing the list, Bon (and everyone else). I fear I do not have enough time to read all the wonderful suggestions. For those who made it through the list, we have a few more Catholic books that you may like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 am 

Religion: Christian
I'm currently reading Catholicism for Dummies and the catechism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:34 am 

The one by Fr Trigilio?

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:30 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Bagheera wrote:
The KJV used to be on the Index.

It also used to be forbidden for Catholics to work on a Bible translation with non-Catholics, now it is actually encouraged.

Therefore.....let it burn.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 5 of 5   [ 98 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5