Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 61 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Suffering
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:00 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
Catholic Rose wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, ZBonaventure. I hope she sees them, but if not, that's okay; hopefully it will help someone else who might have some of the same questions.

God bless,
--Amy

I think they will. I know I've already enjoyed your post. :)

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:33 am 

This is such a great thread; some horrific stories and some great replies as well.

This is an essay by the theologian David Bentley Hart that addresses issues of suffering and the immensity of the catastrophe that strikes when tsunamis and cyclones occur. The theological concern is called theodicy and this is what he writes about.

You can find it here:

http://payingattentiontothesky.com/422/ ... id-b-hart/

It also formed the basis of my estrangement with a fellow Catholic, Jerome. It's a long story but I have recorded it here:

http://payingattentiontothesky.com/422/

If you happen to get through that I'd appreciate any feedback you may have, either on Jerome's opinion of the Hart article or on the failing fellowship issue I chronicle. Feel free to leave it here or there.

God bless

DJ

His second night in Talkingham, Hazel Motes walked along down town ... The black sky was underpinned with long silver streaks that looked like scaffolding and depth on depth behind it were thousands of stars that seemed to be moving very slowly as if they were about some vast construction work that involved the whole order of the universe and would take all of time to complete. No one was paying attention to the sky.
Flannery O’Connor
http://payingattentiontothesky.com

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:26 pm 

Bonaventure wrote:
cccross wrote:
This is a great article. Sometimes I forget the good that suffering brings and this article is so true, the less we accept it the worse it gets. :clap:

See also the work linked in my www button for more great advice on suffering.

I definitely believe that you could consider it suffering/ your own cross to bear. We all have them, but as someone reminded me, God only gives us what we can handle. Besides, think how wonderful you will feel when you overcame your struggles. Though I doubt it bestows any particular graces, the serenity prayer is still a beautiful reminder to take life (or suffering) in stride.

Mgross- those pictures are beautiful… and amazing to really think about—mind boggling. I would love to go there someday!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:14 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Unfortunately, the Holy Wounds Apostolate website has disappeared and doesn't seem to have migrated anywhere. Unfortunate.

It appears that the pocket sized folded "Suffering" brochures may be obtained here: http://olrl.org/virtues/suffering.shtml for 3¢ each.

"You seek me", St. Augustine comments, "for the flesh, not for the spirit. How many seek Jesus for no other purpose than that He may do them good in this present life! [...] Scarcely ever is Jesus sought for Jesus' sake" (In Ioann. Evang, 25, 10).

“therefore is my people led away captive, because they have not knowledge … therefore hath hell enlarged her mouth without any bounds” (Is 5:13-14).

But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. (Mt 24:13)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:05 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

What a good thing that this thread was resurrected. I needed a kick in the behind on this subject today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:16 am 

Quote:
What a good thing that this thread was resurrected. I needed a kick in the behind on this subject today.

I agree wholeheartedly! This thread has reminded me that I have to take my sufferings to God and pick up my cross in following him. Suffering is such an essential part of life that can lead to our growth and development not only in character but in sanctity. The cliche that God writes striaght with crooked lines always reminds me of how God is with us even when we are suffering and feel alone.
One of my best friends has endured incredible suffering and she turns to a book of hers entitled John Paul II and the Meaning of Suffering http://www.catholiccompany.com/john-pau ... -p1033256/. She finds it very uplifting and it has helped to comfort her and strengthen her against those wounds which still bleed in her heart from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:36 pm 

Religion: Christian
I have a question - well, a few questions, on this topic. IDK if I should make this its own thread or not (This is my first post here.), but I'll go ahead and put it here. I feel awkward talking about it, but my doctor has been no help, and I have no idea what to do. I have to do something before it's too late.

I have bipolar disorder. It's pretty bad. I've never been formally dxed; I've only seen a psychiatrist once, when I was staying at the hospital after a breakdown 6 years ago. But, my cousin and my aunt both committed suicide. I know I have it, too. I've had recurring thoughts of suicide for several years. Now, they're getting worse. I go through moodswings with PCOS, and I think there is some hormonal connection. I know I need the proper treatment, but I always think when I'm well, that I'm going to stay that way. I don't want to face the problem when I'm feeling good. I did try to get in to see the psychatrist who helped me before, but the office said I need a referral and that I'd probably be better off just seeing my regular doctor. Anyway, long story short, I'm really afraid. My doctor doesn't seem concerned with what I tell him. I did finally request another doctor in the clinic - one who I saw a few mons ago that was much more thorough and who I felt more satisfied with. I HAVE made a lot of progress in the past few years, but the moodswings have increased and the progress has been lost. I have to take a lot of medicines - I have low thyroid and am starting to gain weight when I never used to before (am still slightly underweight), I have high cholesterol, etc. I've never been able to put all of this together, or have 1 doctor that could handle it all.

My dad is very sick. This is his second bout with cancer, and he very well could lose his life. He has an exam the 19th in which the cancer will be evaluated, and he'll know more about prognosis. But, he's preparing to die. It is really destroying me. I know that I won't be able to handle it if he gets bad news. And, I feel so bad that my family has to worry about me. I've been trying to keep it all to myself and be strong. But, I have recurring thoughts of driving into a semi. Even when I'm not in a bad spell, I get them. My doctor says I have to promise not to hurt myself, but that's fine if I continue to have control over the feelings. I probably should be in the hospital, but I'm trying my best to stay optimistic and strong. My biggest fear is putting other people in danger. I've never been a violent person, and have no wish to harm others. But, what if my actions would? What if I lost control and caused an accident? When I'm doing ok, even when I'm very sad and feel lost and alone, suicide does not seem rational. That's what I'm trying to explain; it's like I'm another person during these times, and this method of suicide is the only one that makes sense to me. I know I sound totally crazy. I wasn't always like this. I've always had issues with anxiety, but I always had a job. I always had friends. Now, I have nothing. My dad is the only person who understands me, and can help me. I know how selfish that sounds, but I seriously feel like a dependent child. I AM a dependent. I can't work or have relationships or do anything, and I'd give anything to change that.

I'm sorry this is so long. My religious background is long, too. My mom's side of the family is Catholic. I grew up Presbyterian, but have not been to that church in a long time. I moved away to attend school and work, and when I had a breakdown and came back to town 6 years ago, I started going with my mom and grandma to church. My grandma can no longer drive so we'd take turns driving her, and would actually go with her to mass on holidays. Now, my mom goes every Sunday with her, and I go about every other week or so. It helps me to go, and I've developed an interest in it. My mom grew up Catholic and converted to Presbyterian when she married my dad (another long story). The priest has asked if she'll come back, but she said she wants to see my brother and I settled (great how that turned out) before she made a decision. And, that's where it is. I've had a hard enough time just going to mass at all esp now so do not think I want to convert. However, my mom read something to me that the priest wrote in our newsletter about mental illness and demons. I had no idea that exorcism is practiced, or that any religious group thought this way about it. I've heard varying accounts of what the Church believes about suicide, but I really need to know is there a standard belief about the mentally ill and suicide? Like I said, my biggest fear is putting others in danger. I'm so afraid I'd go to hell. I still have a hard time grasping mass shootings or murder at all - I can't stand to even watch the news b/c I hate to see people in pain. I'll admit, how I've felt these past few months has really made me things like this in a new light and make me wonder about how much of it really is illness, and how much is the person's will. I hope I don't get punished for talking about this. I don't think I'm in any immediate danger, and I really hope if I get that point, I'll go to the hospital. It just depends on what happens next week. I've been praying, and I ask Saint Jude and Saint Anthony to pray for my dad each day. I'd like some input in this situation - religious and/or otherwise. I'm not comfortable with talking to my priest about this since I hardly know him, and it's been so long since I've been to my old (Presbyterian) church. Part of my post got deleted by accident, so I hope I got everything. What I really want to know is does the Catholic Church have a stance on cases of mental illness like this? I really wish I could reclaim my life. I watch movies and I become obsessed with certain characters because they make life look so easy. I don't even know what I'd do if I had the chance to live a normal life. At 31, I feel like there is increasingly no life to come back to, even if I did ever get better - at least not compared to everyone else. Sorry this is so long. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:28 am 

Check this web site to see if there are any counselors in your area: http://www.catholictherapists.com/

I'll pray for you and your father. :pray:

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

maiseycat,

I'm so sorry you're going through these struggles. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking about the Catholic Church's stance on mental illness, but I think a Catholic Therapist like anawim suggested might be able to help clarify those things for you. I would also suggest printing off what you wrote here and letting your therapist, doctor, and/or priest read it and discuss it with you. Any of them may be able to help point you in the right direction for help. You are not alone.

Also, try to keep in mind that driving into a semi would be very likely to cause harm to others, too--not just physical harm. And when you have these thoughts, if you can, remember to call on your Guardian Angel and/or St. Michael the Archangel for help.

I will :pray: for you and your father.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:51 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Agree with the ladies above, and please, stay in the care of a physician.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
wow...17039 views in this thread...that has to be a board record 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm 

faithfulservant wrote:
wow...17039 views in this thread...that has to be a board record 8-)

Suffering hits us all. We can all relate to picking up our cross.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:38 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
amen to that dear lady...some of us are afforded the grace of working off a lot of purgatory time here on earth

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:21 pm 

Catholic Rose, what I want to know specifically is what does the Church believe about people who commit suicide, and what if the person, whose goal is to end her life only, ends up killing or harming others unintentionally? Because if I did this, it would be because I completely lost control over my actions. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't go through the ups and downs, or to predict if I'll reach that point or not. I hope not since I'm trying to always keep in mind that I have ways to get help. I want to know more about this idea of demons and exorcism, and if the Church believes that it is demons that cause the illness, does it also believe the person will not be punished in the afterlife?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
If you are even thinking about suicide, call 1-800-273-8255 right now. No one here or elsewhere can tell you that it would be OK to kill yourself, and no one wants you to do it. Call and get help, right now, please. :pray:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 pm 

I'm not suicidal now, and that's NOT what I'm asking. I didn't ask for your personal viewpoint, anyway, obviously. I guess no one here can help me with what I need, so I'll go somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:48 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:pray:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
maiseycat, what you don't realize is that Obi-wan is an ordained priest. He is an outstanding and learned source for accurate Catholic teaching and theology. However, he is also wise enough to take care of first things first, namely keeping you alive. Many times in your two previous posts, you mentioned suicidal tendencies. You say you have a family history of them, you've had them for years, they are increasing, and then you discuss how you would do it.

While I'm neither a priest nor a MH counselor, my job requires me to be continually trained and proficient in suicide prevention. I know what to look for, what to look out for, and when to get help for someone. Perhaps you didn't mean to give the impression that you are waving red flags, but Obi-wan and I see them plain as day. I'm sure he'll back me up in saying that when it comes to someone with suicidial ideations, it is always best to be proactive. Please don't take it as obtuseness or take offense. Take it for what it is--people who care about you, body and soul.

Image Image

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:06 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Exactly, and thank you.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:22 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Your padawan has your 6, padre. :cloud9:

Image Image

Commit to the Image

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 61 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next