Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Disposing of a Bible properly?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:46 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Can someone tell me if there even IS a proper way to dispose of a Bible that is no longer useable?

The Assistant Warden was sharing a story with me yesterday about a time she got in trouble with various groups over the issue. While doing a shakedown, the officers discovered a number of Bibles that the inmates had desecrated: foul graffiti written in them, pages torn out to use as cigarette papers, etc. Not knowing what else to do, the A/W gathered up the descecrated Bibles and had them put into the incinerator. Turned out to be the wrong thing to do...bad PR with the community, the inmates, religous volunteers, etc.

But it made me realize that I've never heard anyone mention a CORRECT way to dispose of a Bible that can no longer fulfill its purpose. The American Legion and the Boy Scouts (among others) have ceremonies at least once a year to properly dispose of American flags. Is there anything similar for Bibles? :scratch:

Image Image

Commit to the Image

Post subject: Re: Disposing of a Bible properly?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:25 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I do not know the answer to this question, but I would have gone with fire, and I'm surprised people were ticked about the burning of the desecrated Bibles. Is there something particular about an incinerator that made the warden's decision seem somehow disrespectful? I guess I don't see it. :scratch:

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I suppose some people could be reacting to the negative connotations of “book burning” even if the intention was to show reverence. I think the advice given for a blessed item like a rosary that is beyond repair is usually burial. But I'm interested in an expert answer too.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

gherkin wrote:
I do not know the answer to this question, but I would have gone with fire, and I'm surprised people were ticked about the burning of the desecrated Bibles. Is there something particular about an incinerator that made the warden's decision seem somehow disrespectful? I guess I don't see it. :scratch:

The thing about working in Corrections is that no matter WHAT you do, there will always be someone to put a negative spin on it. It's kind of like the joke about the bird dog that walked on water. The hunter shot it because it couldn't swim. :roll:

Image Image

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

The Catechism of Pius X recommends that Protestant bibles be burned or handed over to a priest. I believe the method for Catholic Bibles is also to burn them and then to bury the remains.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:26 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
caleb wrote:
The Catechism of Pius X recommends that Protestant bibles be burned or handed over to a priest. I believe the method for Catholic Bibles is also to burn them and then to bury the remains.

That is to get rid of them.

Burn or bury, standard issue treatment for disposal of holy objects.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Burn or otherwise destroy, then bury.

Same reason we burn the American flag to retire it. It is all how it is done.

Bad book? BBQ or fireplace., skewered, light fluid poured on it

Good book being retired? More respectful burning

My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:39 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

The question itself (and learning that I'm not the only one unaware) now makes me wonder if there aren't parishes or dioceses that offer proper disposal for sacramentals on a routine basis...most likely annual or biannual. It would be a good thing to get out in the community if someone does offer it.

Image Image

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:40 pm 
The Exterminator

I'll modify, burn in container, bury ashes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:51 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I've heard of disposing of sacramentals that can't or shouldn't be buried (e.g. plastic rosaries) by pouring concrete over them.

Bibles -- yes, burn and bury the ashes if you can. In that sense maybe the incinerator isn't great because it doesn't set the Bible apart from ordinary paper trash.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Burning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:11 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHEusBG20c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jzMw9ezE3I

pick your poison :twisted:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:01 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I was expecting something more like this from you, fs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vT-VaMXsAw

Image Image

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:57 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
arthur brown wasn't crazy enough for you :shock: :stars:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:16 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
You are all wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqqEFoJPL4

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:26 am 

Our Holy Mother Church actually burned heretical copies of the Holy Bible once upon a time. They would purchase every one they came across and throw them in the fire so nobody could be deceived by them.

"What do they not see, who see Him Who sees all things?" -- Pope St. Gregory the Great

"We anathematize those who presume to teach or explain any other creed." -- Pope Vigilius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:40 am 

If you got the time an patience, do this...

Copy every letter and word verse for verse either using a good pen, intricate tools of manual calligraphy, or Adobe illustrator/ Page design. Or just make digital copy from the internet and Print it. Once done, admire and print, or just fully memorize your Copy-which is now yours(but not really YOURs), since you put your creative effort into it- then leave the busted up version on a train, bus, beach, sidewalk, or wherever you think someone is gonna pick up a book or verse or word of the WORD. Let it play out on it's own.

We ain't Muslims, our Book is not the only path to God...remember the power of the Advocate, if So, I think He'll be there when needed for whoever stumbles across your cruddy broken-down Bible. Or masterfully produced copy. Or just the words you tell people when they need to hear them.

All these people saying Burn, well I say you're better than that. That's some pagan censored.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:37 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Nathan M. wrote:
All these people saying Burn, well I say you're better than that. That's some pagan censored.

:scratch: The original post was about disposing of a bible that is no longer usable. Do you have a better idea of how to do that?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 am 
The Exterminator

Burning and burying is the traditional way to dispose of blessed or holy objects. If that seems to pagan, then I suppose disposing of them like common garbage is the right thing to do. If there's a nicer way to put it, it isn't occurring to me.

We don't revere the Bible the way Muslims do the Koran, their position is extreme. Nor do we fall into borderline worship of it the way Protestants do. That isn't to say that we have no love for it and do not see it as the inspired word of God and don't believe that it should be shown an amount of respect. It should be treated with respect. Hand written passages-whatever.

The Bible is the word of God and it and blessed objects should be treated properly. As doom said, they've been set apart, so you wouldn't treat them like ordinary things. If my dictionary is worn out or my watch, I throw it in the trash. But then, I wasn't ever taught to show them the same kind of respect. If I'm sitting at my desk I will look up a word in the dictionary and toss it on the floor. I wouldn't do that with my Bible. Nor do I keep my rosaries or medals on the floor. This should really all go without saying.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:15 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Bombadil wrote:
Burning and burying is the traditional way to dispose of blessed or holy objects. If that seems to pagan, then I suppose disposing of them like common garbage is the right thing to do. If there's a nicer way to put it, it isn't occurring to me.

We don't revere the Bible the way Muslims do the Koran, their position is extreme. Nor do we fall into borderline worship of it the way Protestants do. That isn't to say that we have no love for it and do not see it as the inspired word of God and don't believe that it should be shown an amount of respect. It should be treated with respect. Hand written passages-whatever.

The Bible is the word of God and it and blessed objects should be treated properly. As doom said, they've been set apart, so you wouldn't treat them like ordinary things. If my dictionary is worn out or my watch, I throw it in the trash. But then, I wasn't ever taught to show them the same kind of respect. If I'm sitting at my desk I will look up a word in the dictionary and toss it on the floor. I wouldn't do that with my Bible. Nor do I keep my rosaries or medals on the floor. This should really all go without saying.

AMEN

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next