Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 149 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: A guide for going to confession
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:49 pm 

Religion: Catholic Candidate
Thanks! I'm going to ask at our next class (this Wednesday)...of course, it will be a very busy class since the two classes previously were canceled and Wednesday's class will be going over the Rite of Acceptance for that following Sunday. I'm getting a little nervous, :).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 am 

Religion: Roman Catholic
Dear friend,brothers and sisters in Christ,may His peace and love be with You all,
go to Confession with open heart,mind and mouth. You can tell the priest everything,and not only can,but should. Confession is a Sacrament given to us so that we can save our soul from evilness. The priest will not be angry,sarcastic or say anything You don't want to hear. So go there in the peace given to us by God.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
My prob. is my mind goes blank :) right when I'm ready to list them all off to Father :nooo: Or right after I remember something and the urge to run back in and say "oh and...." I'm still laughing at the look Fr. Roy gave me when I said a swear word...he didn't even blink...he just looked at me like..is that the worst....I almost started laughing but then I remembered it's not a laughing matter (confessing) My mom said to me, "you have to imagine what they hear over the years" I guess swear words are pretty common :laughhard

~When life knocks you down on your knees, remember you are in the prefect position to pray.~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZMIpPqnrzg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:20 pm 
There Can Be Only One

I have been known to carry a list in with me. For the same reason -- my mind can blank out as I go through the steps. Or when the priests interrupts to discuss some item with me.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Same with me. I take a little list in with me. I can never remember everything when I go in without one. I go through the "Examination of Conscience" booklet that I have and as I go through it, I write down my sins. I also bring in the Act of Contrition. I have a mental block for the prayer and can never remember it.

Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

OKKiddo wrote:
In my RCIA class we're given a lengthy list of things to accomplish before we're confirmed. There are no dates on any of them, some of them can be done right away (reciting the Hail Mary, Our Father, etc) but some of them obviously take a bit longer to get to (taking receiving communion). I'm curious if I am allowed to do my first confession now since we don't have a date given....and to let you know, we're heading into the second part of our RCIA class.

Thanks in advance!
Nancy

fixed that for you

Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:23 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Lisa1515 wrote:
Same with me. I take a little list in with me. I can never remember everything when I go in without one. I go through the "Examination of Conscience" booklet that I have and as I go through it, I write down my sins. I also bring in the Act of Contrition. I have a mental block for the prayer and can never remember it.

Lisa
Me too on the examination and Act of Contrition -- in some parishes the Act is posted, but not in others.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I do the same thing!!! I can remember the first half and after that I get a few words out of place!!! GOOD to know I'm not the only one taking in list :laughhard :cloud9:

~When life knocks you down on your knees, remember you are in the prefect position to pray.~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:32 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
if you make a list, make sure you burn it after you get out of the box.

burn it. literally.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

:), I will have to do that one :) I tore it up and threw it away!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:52 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Anglican
Lisa1515 wrote:
Come Be My Light wrote:
While I have yet to cry, I have been extremely moved by confessions.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I seem to cry at every confession. I'm not bawling or anything, just confessing my sins through tears and a cry-like voice. It is a new thing for me.. not confession, but crying. I was wondering what was going on with me.

Lisa

http://en.hilarion.orthodoxia.org/6_6_2

Quote:
Isaac often says that tears of compunction should accompany prayer. Tears during prayer are, according to him, a sign that a person’s repentance has been accepted by God.[12] When the gift of tears is granted to a person during prayer, the delight of these tears should not be counted as idleness.

Works for me. :)

Your God in his divine wisdom has from all eternity beheld the cross he bestows upon you - his precious gift. He weighed it to determine if it be one ounce too heavy for you. With his grace he anointed it and with his consolation he perfumed it. And then once more he considered you and your courage. Finally it came from heaven as a special message from God to you; an alms of the all-merciful love of God for you.St Francis de Sales

Last edited by Cuthberta on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:54 am 

Religion: -----

http://shop.catholic.com/product.php?productid=206

Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:11 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Highlander wrote:
Or when the priests interrupts to discuss some item with me.

That is odd. :? In the almost 13 years since my first confession, I have never once had a priest interrupt me before I was finished.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:00 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Highlander wrote:
Lisa1515 wrote:

Lisa
Me too on the examination and Act of Contrition -- in some parishes the Act is posted, but not in others.

Me too.

Q: If you don't remember the act of contrition and look confused for a second, giving the Priest a chance to say "don't worry about it".... is the confession still valid? This happened to me a while ago. He gave me absolutation and penace, but I didn't say any prayer of contrition.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Jayne wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Lisa1515 wrote:

Lisa

Me too.

Q: If you don't remember the act of contrition and look confused for a second, giving the Priest a chance to say "don't worry about it".... is the confession still valid? This happened to me a while ago. He gave me absolutation and penace, but I didn't say any prayer of contrition.

Yes, it is still valid.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:36 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Sacramental Protestant
This is the first time that I have actually gotten around to reading the "process" of confession..how intimidating! :)

Question: you don't have first confession until you are ready to be brought into the Church at Easter right?

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:28 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Pepsuber wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Or when the priests interrupts to discuss some item with me.

That is odd. :? In the almost 13 years since my first confession, I have never once had a priest interrupt me before I was finished.
It has happened to me on occasion. The most unsettling question has been, "And why did (or did not) you do such and such?" Which causes me to have to state that I knew better, but I did it (or didn't do it) anyway. A stark understanding of my culpability.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:33 pm 
There Can Be Only One

INsearch wrote:
This is the first time that I have actually gotten around to reading the "process" of confession..how intimidating! :)

Question: you don't have first confession until you are ready to be brought into the Church at Easter right?
As I recall, one makes one's first confession immediately prior (a day or so) to confirmation and receiving communion. It varies. You will be taken care of.

BTW, it is not as intimidating as you feel it is. As we all felt. Now, I look back with some amusement about my concern over making my first confession. Each has been easier. Well, the process has been easier. However, each examination of conscience and act of contrition has been more difficult and each penance more heartfelt.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Sacramental Protestant
Highlander wrote:
As I recall, one makes one's first confession immediately prior (a day or so) to confirmation and receiving communion. It varies. You will be taken care of.

Glad to know you get a lot of prep time.

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:07 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

If you find it intimidating, remember that there is always the option of anonymous confession. It is something I have just discovered (in that I only started use, I knew it was available) and I find it much easier and I am less likely to put it off. For the time being, I will only confess anonymously.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 149 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next