Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 8   [ 149 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:33 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
I still see it as a sense of hiding something. If you have that problem, use the word masturbation with the Priest.

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:58 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Bible-loving Catholic, Roman Rite
Church Affiliations: Altarboy, FSE Scouts of Europe
YankeeFan wrote:
I still see it as a sense of hiding something. If you have that problem, use the word masturbation with the Priest.

I do more see the m-word, or well, the word we have in swedish that's not even at all so nonchalant as the m-word, as portraying it as more "okay" than self-abuse.

Please, do think about what the words mean.

I just want to point out that the m-word doesn't give the act it's proper graveness. It sounds more like "well, and then I did use schampoo" or something like that. I just think "self-abuse" is much more correct, and by giving the act, through telling it to the Priest, its proper graveness, it'll be easier to not do it again. I think this is somewhat a debate like the words "gay" vs. "homosexual".

My web log; http://minutz3.blogspot.com/

"God katolik"; http://godkatolik.blogspot.com

minutz3's public channel on Share on Ovi

Post subject: Re: A guide for going to confession
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:58 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

While I have yet to cry, I have been extremely moved by confessions.

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I went for my monthly confession today at a different Church because they hold a Rosary every day at noon I wanted to participate in. This Church is a minor basilica. The Priest I held my confession with was Indian, and I honestly didn't understand a word he said.

Here are two photo's of the Church

Side view

I prayed in front of Our Lady for a good 20 minutes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:34 pm 
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.

Religion: Roman Catholic
awesome confession speech by Father Larry Richards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nprg5Ew6Mo

It was geared toward men but it works both ways.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

is an Act of Contrition required? Do some priests pass over it and give absolution after the confessor tells his sins?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:51 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Some do. I think sometimes the old practice was that the penitent would say the act of contrition while the priest gave absolution. The act of contrition is not part of the form of the sacrament, so you're OK.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Some do. I think sometimes the old practice was that the penitent would say the act of contrition while the priest gave absolution. The act of contrition is not part of the form of the sacrament, so you're OK.

I know the Holy Father suggests we use the sacrament of penance a few times a year, but is there a limit?

I used to go perhaps once a month, but I've found myself liking to go once every two weeks. I don't have scrupulosity, but it just feels like a cleansing, even if its VERY minor sins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:01 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

I wouldn't go more than every week or two unless you were combating a serious mortal sin (or sins) and needed to go more frequently because of that.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Bonaventure wrote:
I wouldn't go more than every week or two unless you were combating a serious mortal sin (or sins) and needed to go more frequently because of that.

well, confession absolves us from our sins. I think we all fall (even just veinally) from time to time.

Is going every two weeks too much?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

No, I don't think going every two weeks is too much and I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Going every 2 weeks could be less than helpful for someone who suffers from scrupulosity (I know you don't, but just wanted to note that for anyone reading this).

Quote:
well, confession absolves us from our sins. I think we all fall (even just veinally) from time to time.

Thats very true, but in general I think that more than once a week isn't really necessary for most people and going every day or close to every day could be sign of scrupulosity or lead to it.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:12 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Bonaventure wrote:
No, I don't think going every two weeks is too much and I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Going every 2 weeks could be less than helpful for someone who suffers from scrupulosity (I know you don't, but just wanted to note that for anyone reading this).

Quote:

Thats very true, but in general I think that more than once a week isn't really necessary for most people and going every day or close to every day could be sign of scrupulosity or lead to it.

I think its very important to find a priest who you can deal with. Behind the curtain confessions seem too general, like you can't go back for help. This way, the priest gets to know you, you're strengths and you're weaknesses, and you can work on it together. We really are never alone in our struggles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:19 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Newer Catholic (as of Easter 2010)
Church Affiliations: RC
I'm not yet a member of the Roman Catholic church. At what point am I eligible to go to confession? An RCIA class at the parish we would probably attend does not start until next Fall.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:23 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Talk it over with the priest at the parish. It's a judgment call on his part.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:34 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: CSP
Quote:
I think sometimes the old practice was that the penitent would say the act of contrition while the priest gave absolution.

I have experienced this with absolution in Latin and in English. It was quite moving for me.

Appeals to personal subjectivity on a matter of objective right is as much a category mistake as claiming that the number 3 is taller than the color blue. - Dr. Francis Beckwith

EENS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Come Be My Light wrote:
While I have yet to cry, I have been extremely moved by confessions.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I seem to cry at every confession. I'm not bawling or anything, just confessing my sins through tears and a cry-like voice. It is a new thing for me.. not confession, but crying. I was wondering what was going on with me.

Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Does anyone have opinions on tough confessors versus more lenient ones?

I've gone to helpful priests of both varieties, though they've been helpful in different ways.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:53 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
counted wrote:
Does anyone have opinions on tough confessors versus more lenient ones?

I've gone to helpful priests of both varieties, though they've been helpful in different ways.

In general the penance should be proportioned to the offense. What I mean is that if I confess a few venial sins this week and get 3 Hail Mary´s, and then confess mortal sins and get the same penance that is not good. Of course the penance cannot be strictly adequate, Christ´s grace is what absolves, but it is important to have the penance fit the penitent. Therefore, also, certain penances are appropriate for different since. Fasting for gluttony or lechery, a work of charity for anger. A prayer to the BVM for chasity, etc.

Now if by lenient you mean one that never assigns a substantial penance, then my opinion speaks for itself already. Of course, especially nowadays, it must be considered whether a harsh penance might push someone away. So why a mortal sin should normally be assigned a grave penance, such as a whole Rosary, yet often, especially now, that might make things burdensome and prevent people from Confessing, in which case a priest should be more lenient. Same with those suffering from scruples.

My Blog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:03 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It must also be remembered that what was an easy penance 20 years ago is a harsher one now.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:19 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thanks. I think I went to one priest who was too lenient. He was very nice and said one thing in particular that was helpful, but I think he was too quick to brush off my sins as normal and inconsequential, and he didn't really give me a penance. I don't think I tend toward scrupulosity at all, and a couple of priests have told me I make good Confessions, so it really threw me off for a couple of weeks. I like it when a confessor takes my sins seriously and gives a thoughtful penance. I think I'm going to avoid going to him again. My normal priest is good, and there's another great Church I can go to that offers Confession all day, every day.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 4 of 8   [ 149 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next