Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to Address bishops, priests, religious, etc
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
CCB wrote:
I was wondering how common it was to refer to bishops at "your excellency" in the United States. When I met Bishop Zubik, I just called him bishop.

Your Excellency and His Excellency are still common, though the latter (such as in a written announcement, His Excellency N. will preside is more common).

Personally, as a counterpoint to Fr. D'Basio, I would argue that we should attempt to address people by their proper titles. Part of the problem in modern culture is this general disrespect that is about, for instance bank tellers calling customers by first name and priests referred to as Fr. Bobby.

Clerics, and that includes deacons, are entitled by Canon Law to a proper clerical form of address. While certainly one should not scruple over mistakes that were not out of disrespect, it should be common that Catholics use the basic titles of address.

My Blog

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:41 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Catholic Dude wrote:
dcs wrote:
Doctor of Divinity or Divinitatis Doctor.

If he has some other degree (such as J.C.D. or S.T.D.) then use that.

Wow, they need to change the lettering for some of these, I could never go around in Ameria saying I have an S.T.D. :shock:

Right, which is why venereal diseases should not be called S.T.D but STI's which is what they are called in England

S.T.D. universally stands for Sacrae Theologicae Doctor, Doctor of Sacred Theology. But it only stands for venereal things in America.

I assume "I" stands for "illness"...but is the proper medical term an illness or disease? I would consider a flu or cold an illness.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:22 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Infection actually

My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:29 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

What is the protocol concerning kissing the ring of a bishop or the Holy Father?

"Beati estis cum maledixerint vobis et persecuti vos fuerint et dixerint omne malum adversum vos, mentientes, propter me. Gaudete et exsultate, quoniam merces vestra copiosa est in caelis; sic enim persecuti sunt prophetas, qui fuerunt ante vos." Mt. V. xi-xii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:07 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Mr.Rudeness wrote:
What is the protocol concerning kissing the ring of a bishop or the Holy Father?

Traditionally you kissed the pope's feet, hence the traditional closing of a letter, kissing the feet of Your Holiness

That is no longer customary mind you.

The proper etiquette, formally, is for a bishop in his diocese, or an archbishop in his province, for cardinals and the pope everywhere, you genuflect (by custom on the left knee, right is for God) and kiss their ring. If the bishop is outside his jurisdiction, or in the presence of the Holy Father, you bow and kiss his ring. This would be the formal procedure.

My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:21 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
Personally, as a counterpoint to Fr. D'Basio, I would argue that we should attempt to address people by their proper titles. Part of the problem in modern culture is this general disrespect that is about, for instance bank tellers calling customers by first name and priests referred to as Fr. Bobby.

Then since Fr. Matteo is a religious you should refer to him as such. :fyi: :wink:

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:49 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Religion: Catholic
What is the custom when kissing the hands of a Priest. Should I genuflect?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:51 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

viking wrote:

I don't think so. But then the only times I've kissed a priest's hands is when receiving the blessing of a new priest, for which I was almost always kneeling.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:11 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Denniston wrote:
viking wrote:

I don't think so. But then the only times I've kissed a priest's hands is when receiving the blessing of a new priest, for which I was almost always kneeling.

This is the custom for priests of the Eastern rite.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Mass in Usus Antiquior
I always freeze up when I greet my bishop. . .

I am actually good friends with him and he laughs at me because he knows I want to greet him correctly and I never remember how! He is good about itthough, he just shakes my hand or gives me a side hug and says 'Dallas! How are you?' saves me from making the initial greeting!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:42 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Do you use these titles in Confession, too? Like, would you say "Bless me Your Eminence for I have sinned" instead of "Bless me Father for I have sinned" if you were in Confession with a cardinal?

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:31 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

counted wrote:
Do you use these titles in Confession, too? Like, would you say "Bless me Your Eminence for I have sinned" instead of "Bless me Father for I have sinned" if you were in Confession with a cardinal?

I think not. In this case, one is speaking to one's confessor as a spiritual father. The use of 'father' for diocesan priests is a relatively recent development, started by Cardinal Manning. Formerly, only reliogus (order) priests were called Father.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:34 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I don't think one would necessarily even know if a Cardinal (or bishop, etc.) were hearing one's confession.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:51 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Thanks, Katherine. That's what I was thinking.

Most of the time you probably wouldn't know who's hearing your confession, but there are occasions when you would -- for example, the bishop is celebrating Mass and is hearing confessions first, or you know and recognize him in a face-to-face confession.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:11 am 
Citizen
Citizen

counted wrote:
Thanks, Katherine. That's what I was thinking.

Most of the time you probably wouldn't know who's hearing your confession, but there are occasions when you would -- for example, the bishop is celebrating Mass and is hearing confessions first, or you know and recognize him in a face-to-face confession.

Yes. I'm just guessing that even if you know your confessor, he is taking the role of spiritual father and therefore addressed as such. I'm also would guess that back before diocesan priests were titled "Father", one still said "Bless me Father..." at confesion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 am 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

You don't call the Priest Father any more?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:53 am 
Citizen
Citizen

viking wrote:
You don't call the Priest Father any more?

No, other way around. Diocesan priests were not called "Father" until Cardinal Manning popularized it. Before then, only priests in religious orders were called "Father". Diocesan priests were "Reverend Mr. X"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:55 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

In the Church´s legal language, when in Latin, regular priests are Dominus or Domnus and religious Pater.

I am pretty sure Reverend Mr. was for deacons, though I may be mistaken. At least in English speaking countries terms like parson, vicar, curate were common.

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:33 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Pro Ecclesia Dei wrote:
In the Church´s legal language, when in Latin, regular priests are Dominus or Domnus and religious Pater.

I am pretty sure Reverend Mr. was for deacons, though I may be mistaken. At least in English speaking countries terms like parson, vicar, curate were common.

yes. "Parson" never made its way across the Atlantic for Catholic clergy. Vicar and Curate are specific offices, similiar (but not the same) as Assistant Pastor. "Reverend Mr." was used for diocesan priests in English speaking countries in the past. I have (somewhere, God only knows where!) an old book with manuscripts pertaining to the development of the Church in Illinois in the 19th century were the bishop writes to his priests as "Rev. Mr."

Since the modern practice of referring to diocesan clergy as "Father" did not extend to deacons (contrary to the practice of the Eastern Church, where deacons are called "Father"), nowdays, only deacons are left with the nominclature "Rev. Mr."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

And mister was more reserved

My Blog

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next