Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 12   [ 221 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Praying the Rosary
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:53 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Religion: Catholic
Yes and yes. :)

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:01 pm 

Turgonian, this might be helpful to you – it’s a guide on how to pray the rosary. I often prayed the rosary with my family while we were on a road trip. After all, one can pray anywhere and anytime. Like The Catholic Dude suggested, a visual like a booklet or maybe something auditory like a rosary CD might be helpful.

Post subject: Rosary Books for Kids
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:34 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

There are several books that will teach children to pray the Rosary. I will just list three of them:

(1) I Pray the Rosary! by Margaret Rose Scarfi, Pauline Books & Media.

(2) My Scriptural Rosary, by Lauren S. Roddy, Pauline Books & Media.

(3) The Rosary Comic Book, by Gene Yang, Pauline Books & Media.

The last has four chapters (Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful and Glorious Mysteries) and two pages of comics are illustrated for each mystery.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
I guess every country/ region has a "local" version cause here in Brazil I have heard different "mentions" is various parts of the country. After the Fatima prayer I have heard "St. (insert local patron saint here) pray for us" along with Our Lady of Aparecia, patron of Brazil. Some churches have a loooooong list of "pray for us" thrown in at the end.

Therefore, if God wills that we be struck down by some affliction, take it as
a sign that he considers us mature enough to be associated even more closely
with his redeeming Cross.

Stand up against lies heresy and distortion: I DON'T BELIEVE Michael Sean Winters or NCR Online

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Every time my grandsons come over, ages 12 and 8, they say two decades of the Scriptural Rosary with me. We started out a little while back with just one decade and are now up to two.

Reading the short Scripture before each Hail Mary helps them to focus on the Mystery. I give them turns to lead by reading the Scripture, then the first part of the Hail Mary, and then two of us respond with the second part of the Hail Mary. They are becoming more familiar with it now, and know how to go about it without coaching.

I plan on getting the Pilgrim Virgin Statue at my home during the summer,(school will be out), which is special. By that time we should be up to the entire Rosary, and my daughter can join us after she is done with her errands. :D

Our Lady takes over and they will be in the habit of the Rosary!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Catholic Dude wrote:
Turgonian wrote:
I have a few questions about praying the Rosary, which come down to 'How does one do it?' I've prayed it quite a number of times now, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I want to know the following:

Posture. Do you usually pray kneeling, sitting, or standing? Today I prayed on my bike, because the weather was beautiful and no one was around. (I didn't have the beads, but I learnt counting before kindergarten. ::):) Would that be permissible? How about during daily activities, such as cooking dinner?

Any posture is permissable. I guess it depends on the location as well, if you were in a Church or bedroom kneeling would probably be the best. On a bus, car, bike, sitting obviously. Daily activities, chores, etc, standing/walking.

Quote:
Focus. Should you pray the Rosary with full attention to the words you are saying, meditating on the Mysteries in between, or is the repeated Ave Maria intended as a sort of 'background music' to keep you thinking about the Mysteries for a certain time?

It all depends on how your day/life is going, at least that is how I experience it. Sometimes I need to focus more on the Ave Maria, other times I need to focus more on the Mystery. In my experience sometimes I find myself focusing on a single word/phrase/aspect rather than the Ave Maria or Mystery as a whole.

Quote:
Meditation. How do you usually meditate? Do you try to visualise the scenes, or do you think about their significance, or do you try to relate to them personally?

All of the above, again it depends on how your day is going. I find it helpful though to have a Rosary pamphlet with famous pictures of the Mysteries to look at. You should be able to pick up such booklets in the back of your local church (or Catholic bookstore). Other times you might want to visualize yourself at the scene, visualize yourself from Mary's perspective, etc.

There is no "wrong way" to pray the Rosary.

:fyi: I know this is from 2008, however It make me laugh when I saw the picture below ::):

~When life knocks you down on your knees, remember you are in the prefect position to pray.~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZMIpPqnrzg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:56 pm 

I have a side question that I'm hoping is okay to include in this thread..

Earlier this week, I visited a Eucharistic adoration chapel at a parish next to a hotel where I frequently stay on business. After I arrived, some folks placed a statue of Mary in a chair in front of the pillar that holds the monstrance and Blessed Eucharist. I wasn't sure what was going on at first, nor was I really comfortable with the placement chair and the statue. I then realized that the group was about to begin saying a Rosary. Although I was really hoping for some quiet time with our Lord, I figured I'd join in.

It being a Monday, I expected the Joyful mysteries. But, they began saying the Salvation mysteries?? I can't completely recall what exactly each of the mysteries. But, one of them was Nicodemus visiting Jesus.

Has anyone heard of this? I was kind of thrown off by all of it and ended up just trying to focus back on our Lord, which is what I wanted came to do in the first place. Just looking for some feedback.. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:33 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I will offer my feedback!

Perhaps this group says a Rosary together at the same time every week at that chapel. Usually, permission is granted as some want to just pray quietly. If permission isn't granted then it would be intruding on someone who came to the chapel to be in quiet meditation.

Prayer is prayer, and there is nothing wrong with meditating on different parts of the Gospel. We are used to the traditional mysteries, Joyful, Luminous, (recent), Sorrowful, and Glorious. I usually follow those suggestions during the week.

A group of 6 - 8 ladies meets at my home every Monday afternoon to say the Scriptural Rosary, and other prayers, and we rotate those four mysteries I mentioned above on the Mondays. I just write it on my calendar. It doesn't matter that Monday is suggested for the Joyful mysteries - this is not set in stone. We do this so that the same group that meets gets to do the various mysteries together.

I have a small pamphlet called the Eucharistic Rosary, that is also a Scriptural Rosary using events from the Gospel pertaining to the Eucharist. We use that once in a while and it is beautiful.

In fact there is nothing to stop someone from slowly reading a passage from any Scripture they want to and then saying the Hail Mary after it - making up five decades, two, or whatever they have the time for at the moment. Of course, it would be better to do it this way privately.

It is good to be aware of this, as some people became upset when Pope John Paul II added the Luminous Mysteries! :) You'd think he had just told us that there are four persons in the Blessed Trinity! :D

I hope what I wrote put this in perspective.

Peace,

Dorothy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 pm 

Thanks, Dorothy. Great feedback! :)

I imagine they have permission to do this. They seemed to be a very devoted group, and I don't mean to infer there was anything wrong with it. I was having an off day and had been looking forward to some quiet time before the Blessed Sacrament.

What surprised me the most was that when one of the women started to move the chair in front of pillar, I hadn't yet seen another woman entering with the Mary statue. So, I didn't know whether she was going to climb the chair and grab the Eucharist or what.. I was ready to tackle her! Ha.. not really. But still, I didn't know what was going on at first.

Anyway, it was a nice prayer. I should have stuck with it. I was mainly just wondering about its origin and the practice of using your own mysteries. And, for what it's worth, I love the Luminous Mysteries! Thanks again..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:58 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

You're welcome!

And, it is so good to want quiet time before the Blessed Sacrament, or in your own room at home. (God calling!) :)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 pm 

mdnitewind wrote:
Do you think Mary will understand the added technology of the computer being incorporated into the rosary while we are learning?

I think she absolutely will. I think she'll be pleased to see that you are trying your best to learn the rosary. I don't think incorporating technology into prayer is necessarily a bad thing, especially if your motives are sincere and honest. The "objects" used in prayer do not matter; what does is that one makes time to pray, and pray from the heart. :)

_________
“How beautiful is the family that recites the rosary every evening.” – Blessed John Paul II

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:07 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

There is such a potential for good in our new technology!

It can be used for good or evil, and we who are blessed with the gift of faith need to use all the new media for God's purposes.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 am 
Majesty
Majesty

I just picked up a leaflet about saying the Rosary in Arabic. This shows a picture of Pope John Paul II praying the Rosary and includes the five luminous mysteries.

A week ago, I did hear people saying a luminous mystery from Our Lady of Lebanon near Beirut for the vigil of the Pope's beatification.

It would be a good idea to pray for peace in the world. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I just sat down and read all seven pages. For those who missed my intro a few weeks ago, I recommitted myself to RCIA (long story; look for my intro) after turning in a desperate situation to praying the Rosary, and the subsequent blessing of Our Lady by granting my prayer almost immediately. (literally, within minutes!)

Since then, I learned from another thread on this forum about a Rosary on Kindle, which I purchased (I don't yet own a set of Rosary beads--I have a feeling somewhere along the line I will receive a set through RCIA, and I want my first set to have that special link to my growth in the Church). I have prayed the Rosary every single day since and it has been a real blessing to me. It normally takes me about 20 minutes to pray the Rosary; is this anywhere in line with anyone else?

Also, my curiosity about my newfound faith leads me to doing a lot of reading on Catholicism. While I understand that (as in just about any faith) some are more devout than others, I am getting the impression that while many Catholics do pray the rosary daily, there is not an obligation to do so unless committing to a novena. Am I reading this correctly? Don't get me wrong, I am praying it daily because I want to and I want it to be a habit. I'm just curious to know if there is any obligation to pray the Rosary daily.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:26 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

You're basically right. There's no obligation to pray the rosary daily. It is a pious and devout practice, urged in approved private revelations, encouraged by the Church, but there is no obligation at all.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:34 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Sacramental Protestant
I was given a Rosary, and booklet by a Catholic friend who is going off to Seminary (or is actually there right now), but i have a rather small almost unimportant question. while following the instructions in the booklet it says to "say such and such a prayer" such as the "Our Father" while I read these prayers, the majority of them other than Hail Mary ends with "amen" do I say amen? or do I just continue as if its just a really long prayer chain? like I said..rather small question ;)

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:37 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I say the Amen. I don't think everyone does.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

You'll find common prayers in the compendium of the Catechism end with "Amen."

COMMON PRAYERS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:20 pm 

Church Affiliations: World Apostolate of Fatima
I recommend two books by St. Louis de Montfort: Secret of the Rosary and True Devotion to Mary. I just finished the first and am now reading the second. Both very informative--he relies on various sources including scholoars and saints and blesseds to educate on the rosary and it's powerful importance in our lives as Catholic Christians. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 am 

Religion: Padrino de Dani
I was so impressed when a monsignor explained that when praying the rosary we should meditate on the birth, life, ministry, death and resurrection of or Lord Jesus Christ and not just say the words

I am Larry Love, I have made sacred rosaries for over 20 years out of gemstones and other materials. I am very proud to be the godfather of two wonderful girls and father to two girls and 3 boys. My beautiful wife is from Guatemala.

Come see our rosaries (See DCF shopping mall) or
http://www.larryloveutah.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=83_71

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 12   [ 221 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next