Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 10   [ 197 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Praying the Rosary
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:58 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Thanks for the link. I saved it. That would be great to see a book of the rosary by you. It sounds like you'd have a nice way of explaining it. I like the idea of picturing part of it - I can feel the happiness and love of seeing a family member.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Church Affiliations: SJMJ
CCB: Thank you very much for this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:26 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Church Affiliations: SJMJ
viking wrote:
There is nothing wrong with wearing a Rosary around the neck when it is done so for the right reasons, and not as a fashion or gang symbol. St. Alphonsus Ligouri e.g used to wear a Rosary around his neck. I don't have any special holders for mine, and quite simply have it in my pocket or have it some place in the house.

While I believe this is true and good, I would not wear my rosary around my neck for fear of causing scandal with other faithful who think it is wrong.

One other thought in response to the question, "How should we treat our Rosaries?" When you pick up the Rosary, as with the Scriptures or any sacramental, kiss it. Specifically the crucifix.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:50 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

The funniest thing happened to me the other day. I was on an absolute high and probably in a condition that made it very unsafe for me to drive. Because I was upset I had grabbed my rosary beads before running out the house and had it twisted around my hand.

Soon I was praying it as I was driving as best I could (I probably got some of the mysteries mixed up, and the hail holy queen was definitely unique). Despite the added distraction, it was probably the safest driving I've done in months, if not years. I was controlled, cautious, obeyed the road rules.... from now on I'm going to leave some beads in my handbag. They calmed me down enormously and it is not easy to get me off a high.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:01 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Thanks for sharing your experience Jayne. Our Blessed Mother is always there for us!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:36 pm 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Quote:
and the hail holy queen was definitely unique

I like that. I will now think of my hashed-up prayers as unique instead of completely messed up.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:51 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

MyDogma8MyKarma wrote:
Quote:
and the hail holy queen was definitely unique

I like that. I will now think of my hashed-up prayers as unique instead of completely messed up.

Like those times you start out saying one prayer and somehow end up saying another prayer. :)

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:31 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Oh yeah. Been there, done that. Especially if the prayer uses a similar line as another.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:39 am 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Jayne wrote:
The funniest thing happened to me the other day. I was on an absolute high and probably in a condition that made it very unsafe for me to drive. Because I was upset I had grabbed my rosary beads before running out the house and had it twisted around my hand.

Soon I was praying it as I was driving as best I could (I probably got some of the mysteries mixed up, and the hail holy queen was definitely unique). Despite the added distraction, it was probably the safest driving I've done in months, if not years. I was controlled, cautious, obeyed the road rules.... from now on I'm going to leave some beads in my handbag. They calmed me down enormously and it is not easy to get me off a high.

Awesome. :)

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:30 pm 
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Puppi wrote:
Like those times you start out saying one prayer and somehow end up saying another prayer. :)

I can top that. I started out praying the Rosary, but because I was so tired, I caught myself mumbling random Italian words at some point.

I don't even speak Italian. Speaking in tongues, I guess... :roll:

It is to idols that men turned (and turn) for quick and literal answers. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Post subject: Rosary for Priests (Beautiful)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 am 
Highness
Highness

ROSARY FOR PRIESTS
By The late John J. Cardinal Carberry of St. Louis

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit AMEN

Dear Jesus, how can we ever properly thank you for our priests? They have given up very thing for us, forsaking the world to nourish our souls with the Eucharist and to heal our wounds through Confession.

Send forth your Holy Spirit, RIGHT NOW, in a flood--nay--a supernatural TORRENT of grace, in swift and sure answer to this plea, bringing consolations and courage and purity and joy to our beloved priests. As only You can do, whisper into their hearts that we love them so! As only You can do, enwrap each man wearing a collar in the loving maternal arms of your Mother, who wept with You and stayed with You during your hours of suffering during Your crucifixion.

We ask this in Your Holy Name, the name above all names: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Amen."

First Joyful Mystery THE ANNUNCIATION

The Angel Gabriel announces to Mary, a virgin, that she will become the mother of God, Word Made Flesh. For all centuries to come, Jesus will become flesh in the Holy Eucharist to nourish us in a most intimate union with Him.

We pray for all priests who daily through the words of the consecration at Mass, and through Holy Communion, bring us the Body and Blood of Christ. We pray for all future priests now being formed in the wombs of their mothers that they may be safe from physical harm, and come to Ordination as God intends. We pray for all future generations of priests. We pray also that priests may treasure the gift of celibacy.

Second Joyful Mystery THE VISITATION

Mary visits her cousin, Elizabeth, who recognizes Mary as the living tabernacle for their Divine Lord.

We pray especially for priests who bring Holy Communion to the sick, the shut-ins, and Viaticum to the dying. We pray for all the priests who minister to the sick in other ways, counsel, comfort and console them.

Third Joyful Mystery THE NATIVITY OF JESUS

Jesus is born in Bethlehem. The angels announce His birth; kings and shepherds come to adore Him.

We pray that all seminarians grow in knowledge and love of God to become holy priests. We pray especially for those who will be ordained soon, that they remain faithful all their lives to the sublime privilege of being "other Christs" among us. We pray that everyone will come to value the Eucharistic Feast and the Priesthood among God's greatest gifts to us. We pray that every priest will consider himself a member of the Holy Family, a true son of Mary and Joseph, and a brother-priest of Jesus, the great High Priest.

Fourth Joyful Mystery PRESENTATION IN THE TEMPLE

Mary and Joseph, in obedience to the Law, bring Jesus to the temple to be dedicated to God. Simeon expresses his gratitude to God for revealing the Messiah to him before he dies.

We thank God for all priests who, like Simeon, have given us decades of faithful service. We pray that they may be rewarded for their generosity and self-sacrifice. We pray also for all priests whose hearts are pierced by loneliness, depression and rejection.

Fifth Joyful Mystery FINDING JESUS IN THE TEMPLE

Jesus is found among the teachers in the temple; He returns home and is obedient to Mary and Joseph.

We pray that priests will always be found going about their Father's business, and will be obedient to the teaching of the Magisterium of the Church, our Holy Father and the bishops in communion with him. We pray for all young priests that the love and dedication they experience in the first years of their priesthood may increase in the future. We pray for all priests who teach the Faith to children and adults.

THE LUMINOUS MYSTERIES
by Court Our Lady of Guadalupe, 2250, CDA

First Luminous Mystery THE BAPTISM OF JESUS

Jesus descended into the waters to be baptized by John. He took up the challenge of His Father. He knew He would suffer on behalf of us and His suffering would lead to the forgiveness of sins. He knew He was king but His Throne was to be a cross.

We pray that our priests will imitate Our Lord’s humility as they do their priestly duties by accepting their challenges from God.

Second Luminous Mystery THE WEDDING AT CANA
Jesus first miracle was made possible by the firm love and faith of Mary in her Divine Son.

Oh, Lord, help our priests to develop on ever-increasing love for Mary. Help new priests to recognize that they may find their strength in Mary as they "Do whatever He tells..." them. Mary is our teacher and always leads us to her Son.

Third Luminous Mystery THE PROCLAMATION OF THE FAITH

Christ came to bring mercy and forgiveness to mankind.

Oh God, bless our priests as they teach Jesus’ message—baptizing, forgiving sins, and consecrating the Blessed Eucharist through the Holy Spirit. May they have a constant renewal of Life, aimed at an ever more perfect union with Christ—the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Fourth Luminous Mystery THE TRANSFIGURATION

Jesus leads them up the mountain where he is transfigured before them. Peter wishes that three tents be built for Jesus and His two companions in order that all might come to see them.

Oh Lord, make more priests open to having the Blessed Sacrament exposed for Adoration in their parishes. A real deep prayer changes us all and makes us more loving, more like the Christ.

Fifth Luminous Mystery THE HOLY Eucharist

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." (John 6:51)

‘There can be no Eucharist without the priesthood, just as there can be no priesthood without the Eucharist’ Pope John Paul II's, Message to Priests for Holy Thursday 2004). Christ said, "I will be with you all days, even to the end of the world," He is there in every tabernacle of the Catholic world. Oh, Lord, strengthen the faith of all priests so they may always believe that it is truly You, Jesus, in the Holy Eucharist.

Oh Lord, may our priests be able to find the time from their busy world to spend daily an hour with you in Adoration.

Lord, help our priests, to know how to guide us in reaching out to others. May we all imitate Christ in service, for we are the Body of Christ.

THE SORROWFUL MYSTERIES

First Sorrowful Mystery THE AGONY IN THE GARDEN

The apostles fall asleep; Jesus sweats blood at the thought of His coming passion and death; angels come to comfort Him.

We pray that all priests may live only to do our Father's will, as Jesus always did.

Second Sorrowful Mystery JESUS IS SCOURGED

Jesus is cruelly scourged and beaten by the soldiers.

We pray for priests who are persecuted, physically or mentally abused; those who are imprisoned or prevented from offering the Holy sacrifice of the Mass or receiving communion.

Third Sorrowful Mystery JESUS IS CROWNED WITH THORNS

Jesus is mocked as king and precious Head is cruelly pierced by thorns.

We pray for priests who suffer for defending authentic Catholic doctrine. We pray that all Bishops will uphold the true teachings of the Catholic Church and resist temptations to compromise doctrine in the face of cultural and social pressures.

Fourth Sorrowful Mystery JESUS CARRIES HIS CROSS

Bruised, bleeding and exhausted Jesus is forced to drag himself and His cross up the hill of Calvary.

We pray for all priests with heavy crosses; those who are weak, lonely, or have fallen from God's grace in some way.

We pray for the Holy Father, who perhaps has the heaviest of crosses; the widespread persecution and abandonment of the Church from within and without.

Fifth Sorrowful Mystery JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS

Jesus sheds his last drops of Precious Blood to redeem us from sin and death.

We pray for all priests who are in their last agony and those who will die today. We pray for those who thirst for the salvation of souls. We pray that the crucifixion of their wills may accomplish God's designs for the salvation of the whole world.

We pray that priests may take Mary into their hearts, as St. John the Apostle, one of the first priests, took Mary into his home.

GLORIOUS MYSTERIES

First Glorious Mystery THE RESURRECTION

Jesus arises from the dead and appears to the Apostles.

We pray that priests will remember the Crucifixion is followed by the Resurrection: darkness is always followed by Light. We pray that all priests may share the joy of the Risen Christ.

The Second Glorious Mystery THE ASCENSION

Jesus instructs His apostles and returns to His Father in Heaven.

We pray that priests may carry out Jesus' instructions to evangelize the whole world, instructing and baptizing countless souls. We pray for missionaries who live lives of utter poverty and deprivation to bring the Gospel to all people.

The Third Glorious Mystery DESCENT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

The Holy Spirit comes upon the Apostles, who are gathered with Mary.

We pray that priests may be open to the graces of the Holy Spirit to strengthen them for the task of bringing souls to God and God to souls. We pray that they may be on fire to convert the most hardened sinners and bring God's love to the whole world.

The Fourth Glorious Mystery THE ASSUMPTION

Mary is taken, body and soul, to Heaven. While she was on earth, she loved and prayed for the Apostles, the first priests.

We pray that priests will be devoted to Mary and find in her the love and comfort of a mother, the most powerful intercession of our greatest saint, and the surest refuge against Satan and his cohorts who seek destruction of priests and the priesthood.

The Fifth Glorious Mystery THE CORONATION

Mary is crowned Queen of Heaven and earth; she is rewarded for her faithfulness to God.

We pray that Mary, Queen of the Clergy, will be their model of faith and joy, and constant guide until they reach Heaven where a crown, jeweled with many souls entrusted to them on the day of Ordination, will be their reward for faithful and loving service.

Prayer for Priests to be said after every decade of the rosary (after the Fatima prayer):

"GOD OUR FATHER, PLEASE SEND US HOLY PRIESTS,
ALL FOR THE SACRED AND EUCHARISTIC HEART OF JESUS,
ALL FOR THE SORROWFUL AND IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY,
ALL IN UNION WITH ST. JOSEPH."

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:34 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Thanks for that one, I'm going to print that out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I recently found this site and like it very much. There are links at the top to each of the mysteries and each mystery has 10 meditations listed. Very 'narrative' from the gospel story. I like that. http://www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 pm 

Religion: CATHOLIC
I am glad too see we (my family) are not the only one's who pray the Rosary in our cars. Every time we leave for a trip, we pray the Rosary. I often pray the Rosary during my long commute. I think whenever and wherever you offer your prayers is the best place.
I hope they don't make praying the Rosary while driving becomes illegal like talking on your cell phones. From the posts, many of us will be in trouble.

Many Blessings,
Chad Hunter
http://www.trinitynationcreations.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I think it would be hard to make praying whilst driving illegal. How are the cops to know? Unless you actually use beads then there is no evidence, and personally I think it would be best not to use beads whilst actually being in control of a car. We have eight fingers and two thumbs for a reason.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 pm 
Highness
Highness

Jayne wrote:
I think it would be hard to make praying whilst driving illegal. How are the cops to know? Unless you actually use beads then there is no evidence, and personally I think it would be best not to use beads whilst actually being in control of a car. We have eight fingers and two thumbs for a reason.

If your car has a CD player, use some CD Rosary to hear Rosary prayers.

No need to use beads.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Two-Faced
I got a Rosary question (sorry if it's been asked, but I'm not combing six pages). Let's say I get out my Rosary, pray the opening prayers, then go around once, praying the 5 joyful mysteries. then I pray the closing prayers, and finish. Did I just pray the Rosary, or did I just pray one-third of the Rosary?

‘Humility.’”

~ St. Anthony the Great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Constable Toad wrote:
I got a Rosary question (sorry if it's been asked, but I'm not combing six pages). Let's say I get out my Rosary, pray the opening prayers, then go around once, praying the 5 joyful mysteries. then I pray the closing prayers, and finish. Did I just pray the Rosary, or did I just pray one-third of the Rosary?

You would have prayed five decades of the Rosary, which is considered a Rosary! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 am 
Highness
Highness

Constable Toad wrote:
As answered above, five decades is usually considered a Rosary.

If I wanted to be pedantic, I could raise the question of the 4th set of (Luminous) Mysteries and the one-quarter fraction.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:46 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic :)
Thanks for posting the Rosary for priests :)

I just wanted to answer a couple of questions: OK topray just the three major prayers (Our Father. Hail Mary. Glory Be) They are the official parts of the Rosary.

Also OK to pray a part then do something else then return. I remember the nuns at my school would pray a decade or two while watching us at recess. And people pray a decade here and ther during the day as when standing in line, waiting on hold, etc.

And all the Rosary will come to you eventually :) one day you will realize that you didn't have to look at your aid, and you'll be off! What helped me the most was praying along with
a cassette--theauditory/vocal aspect seems to be most helpful in
memorizing. We even learned it in Latin and it took a couple of days for the Hail Marys, and a longer time for the Credo.

O God, our refuge and our strength, look down in mercy on Thy people who cry out to Thee, and through the intercession of Mary, the virgin Mother of God; Saint Joseph, her most chaste spouse; Thy holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and of all Thy Saints, hear our prayer for the conversion of sinners, and for the liberation and exaltation of our holy Mother the Church. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 10   [ 197 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next