Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Goodness and good works.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:33 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Maybe Catholic
Can good works lead to goodness? Or are good works a result of goodness?

Post subject: Re: Goodness and good works.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Good works build up a habit of goodness that makes it easier to do good well.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:32 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I'm not sure i believe that. Or maybe, I just don't think it's true for all persons. I'm inclined to believe that goodness must come first.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:18 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Nathan M. wrote:
I'm not sure i believe that. Or maybe, I just don't think it's true for all persons. I'm inclined to believe that goodness must come first.

Then you are mistaken.

Which comes first, swimming or knowing how to swim?

Is it not that we learn swimming by swimming? Virtue is a habit, a firmly rooted disposition toward doing what is in accordance with right reason. The virtuous person does not merely, e.g., eat moderately, he takes pleasure in that eating, ain in gluttony and his appetite desires what is right. How is that possible? Habituation.

We call a man good without qualification who has those perfections upon his nature that are fitting for that nature. So yeah a bad man can sometimes do a good thing. He is not a good man because he did one good thing. The vicious man's appetites are habituated to what is wrong, and he believes wrongly about what is good. The incontinent man knows better, but does what is wrong. The continent man knows what is right and does it, as going against his appetites. The virtuous man does what is good by second nature. It is this last that is called good simply.

The continent man is like the kid thrown in the pool, not yet a swimmer, but instructed in what he should do and, suppressing his instinct to panic, etc, does it...by doing it it becomes easier and natural. Or like learning to play the piano.

My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:35 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Ιασων wrote:
Nathan M. wrote:

Is it not that we learn swimming by swimming? Virtue is a habit, a firmly rooted disposition toward doing what is in accordance with right reason. The virtuous person does not merely, e.g., eat moderately, he takes pleasure in that eating, ain in gluttony and his appetite desires what is right. How is that possible? Habituation.

I thought it was possible by Grace.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Graces does not destroy nature. It perfects it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:40 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Yea in reading the Catechism I think I found the crux of the issue (for me personally.)

I. THE HUMAN VIRTUES

1804 Human virtues are firm attitudes, stable dispositions, habitual perfections of intellect and will that govern our actions, order our passions, and guide our conduct according to reason and faith. They make possible ease, self-mastery, and joy in leading a morally good life. The virtuous man is he who freely practices the good.

The moral virtues are acquired by human effort. They are the fruit and seed of morally good acts; they dispose all the powers of the human being for communion with divine love.

That's my problem, I don't think I can achieve temperance, prudence, justice, and fortitude on my own, by my own effort. I thought these things were given by God.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
That's my problem, I don't think I can achieve temperance, prudence, justice, and fortitude on my own, by my own effort. I thought these things were given by God.
Certainly grace can make their achievement easier, but the crucial point is that you have to be making the effort.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:21 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

So would someone saying these things come naturally as a result of Grace be wrong? Again, it seems like it would be different depending on the person.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

A person can do morally good works without any assistance from grace, and doing those good works makes it easier when he does receive grace.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:40 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Nathan M. wrote:
So would someone saying these things come naturally as a result of Grace be wrong? Again, it seems like it would be different depending on the person.

There is a difference between acquired and infused virtues. Having grace makes it easier to acquire virtue, but you can be without acquired virtues and have grace, but you will have the infused virtues.

IOW, if you eat too much and are a glutton, just because you have been absolved of your sins and have sanctifying grace doesn't mean you appetite for food suddenly becomes ordered. One of the remnant of sins that must be fought against are bad habits, both vices and incontinence. The infused virtues make it possible for you to go beyond nature, to say fast for the glory of God. That would be Christian temperance. But that in turn is made easier by the natural virtue of temperance...a glutton who has been sanctified may have the grace to offer fasting up to God, but he will be fighting against not just the good of nature sacrificed, but against his gluttonous urges.

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:53 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

It makes sense. I'm in discussion with a good friend of mine who believes that the moment, or process, in which you believe you are so loved by a God that created you for the soul purpose of loving you, struggling against sin becomes much easier. Trying to do things to get you to a "place" of goodness isn't necessarily the best way to go about it. Rather than evil being a behavior problem, it's essentially a thinking/spiritual problem. If your thought process or personal spirit are in the wrong way, then it will be nearly impossible for you to be truly good. Is this contrary to Catholic teaching?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:38 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
A person can do morally good works without any assistance from grace, and doing those good works makes it easier when he does receive grace.

That depends on what you mean by grace, right?

Quote:
And thus in the state of perfect nature man needs a gratuitous strength superadded to natural strength for one reason, viz. in order to do and wish supernatural good; but for two reasons, in the state of corrupt nature, viz. in order to be healed, and furthermore in order to carry out works of supernatural virtue, which are meritorious. Beyond this, in both states man needs the Divine help, that he may be moved to act well.
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/2109.htm#article2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I don't see how that depends on what you mean by grace. We aren't talking about doing the supernatural good

My Blog