Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 48 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Eucharist
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Man for Others
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Will Storm wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
It's not simply a matter of preserving tradition and it's not anything that anyone in the hierarchy can change. Jesus established the matter of this sacrament and it's not ours to change it.

I don't like that answer.

I am not sure how to say that nicely. :fyi:

That was nice enough. At least, I took no offense. I am curious, however, if you can tell me why you don't like that answer.

Why is Jesus using wheat sufficient to say that we must always use wheat? (I am sure the biological make-up of the strains of wheat used then and of those used now are different anyway).

From the beginning, Christianity has understood itself as the religion of the Logos, as the religion according to reason...It has always defined men, all men without distinction, as creatures and images of God, proclaiming for them...the same dignity: to live a faith that comes from the Logos, from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's not merely that Jesus used wheat. It's that the Church has always understood that when He said, "Do this," part of what "this" entailed is using wheat bread (and grape wine). It is an interesting conundrum how much wheat would have to change to be a truly difference species (in the philosophical sense as well as the biological), but I don't see much reason to think that it has undergone such a change in the past 2000 years.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:56 pm 
Deactived by request

The human body has changed also over all those years but wheat remains the most important staple in the global human diet. It's contains the highest vegetable protein of all grains and has continually held that elevated place as the primary staple in the human diet. It equates really well to the nature of the food that Jesus gave us in the sacrifice of His body and blood as the primary spiritual staple known to mankind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:03 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Mmmmmmmmm ... grain vegetable protein.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:06 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
All this talk about vegetables and stuff is making me awfully nervous. :fyi:

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm 
Deactived by request

I think you're safe, gherkin. Cucumbers don't make a significant contribution to the human diet really. They're just there to make the dish look pretty and mostly get scrapped in the bin after dinner's done. :wave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:51 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Church Affiliations: Man for Others
I don't see much reason to think that it has undergone such a change in the past 2000 years.

- that doesn't seem very certain. If it has undergone such a change in the past 2000 years, would it matter?

From the beginning, Christianity has understood itself as the religion of the Logos, as the religion according to reason...It has always defined men, all men without distinction, as creatures and images of God, proclaiming for them...the same dignity: to live a faith that comes from the Logos, from creative reason, and that, because of this, is also open to all that is truly rational.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 48 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3