Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 151 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Argument from Motion
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:11 am 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
Bagheera wrote:
If there can be events of zero duration (i.e., instantaneous events like transsubstantiation), could we not then propose that God can make any event have zero duration if He wished?

Hmmm... I'll think more on it today, but my initial thought is 'no' because some events are necessarily extended. For instance, the ticking of my clock from 8:01 to 8:02, it seems to me, requires extension in time. I'm not sure how to conceive of that event without an extension in time, or without having to redefine the terms involved. But, I'll think more about it today.

FJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:30 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Answering that question is one reason we need a definition for "stuff event." If there is something about at least some events that would make their being of zero length a logical contradiction, then God could not do it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:05 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
Bagheera wrote:
If there can be events of zero duration (i.e., instantaneous events like transsubstantiation), could we not then propose that God can make any event have zero duration if He wished?

God can do anything if He wishes. To pursue what God could do is pointless as all possibilites are open. The thing to figure out here is what did God actually do.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Answering that question is one reason we need a definition for "stuff event." If there is something about at least some events that would make their being of zero length a logical contradiction, then God could not do it.

An event like transubstantiation is a miraculous event. FJ actually completing a paper is a miraculous event. Perhaps the distinction between events of zero duration and events with > zero duration is the miraculousness or the naturalness of the event?

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:33 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
He can get rid of Zeno.

It is really difficult to ban an admin

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
He can get rid of Zeno.

It is really difficult to ban an admin

Good point :fyi:

(I told youse guys we needed a mathematician in this thread!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

pax wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

An event like transubstantiation is a miraculous event. FJ actually completing a paper is a miraculous event. Perhaps the distinction between events of zero duration and events with > zero duration is the miraculousness or the naturalness of the event?

Hmmm.... I'm not sure. I think "human to corpse" is another good example. I cannot see a body holding the form of both human and corpse at the same time. It has to be one or the other. And therefore, if it changes from one to another it must be in an instant. Yet, that is no miracle. I think this must be the case for all substantial changes.

FJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:58 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

ForumJunkie wrote:
pax wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Hmmm.... I'm not sure. I think "human to corpse" is another good example. I cannot see a body holding the form of both human and corpse at the same time. It has to be one or the other. And therefore, if it changes from one to another it must be in an instant. Yet, that is no miracle. I think this must be the case for all substantial changes.

FJ

"You might want to check with an expert first."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
pax wrote:
Bagheera wrote:

God can do anything if He wishes. To pursue what God could do is pointless as all possibilites are open. The thing to figure out here is what did God actually do.

But God can only do what is logically possible if something is not logically possible God cannot do it.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Christian & Missionary Alliance
Doom wrote:
But God can only do what is logically possible if something is not logically possible God cannot do it.

Because there is no "it" for Him to do.

Hen-Zee wrote:
How do you know that the rock is NOT alive?

Some papers I've written

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:30 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

ForumJunkie wrote:
pax wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

FJ

Ok. Transubstantiation.

There is a moment where there is bread.

Followed by a moment where there is no bread.

Followed by a moment where there is Christ.

Body to corpse.

There is a moment where the body is alive.

Followed by a moment where the body is neither alive nor dead.

Followed by a moment where the body is a corpse.

That is the only way to make it work. There must be the teeniest tiniest interval of time to separate the two events. Otherwise they are touching (so to speak) and both existing together. And in that moment where there is neither one or the other ........ hmmmmm ......... what kind of moment is that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:33 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

pax wrote:
ForumJunkie wrote:
pax wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

FJ

Ok. Transubstantiation.

Body to corpse.

That is the only way to make it work. There must be the teeniest tiniest interval of time to separate the two events. Otherwise they are touching (so to speak) and both existing together. And in that moment where there is neither one or the other ........ hmmmmm ......... what kind of moment is that?

Since the body continues to exist throughout those moments, then what is it when it is neither alive nor dead. It has to have some form to exist in this reality.

I think you are encountering a problem in your thinking.

FJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

There is no moment during transubstantiation when there is neither bread nor Christ. At one moment, there is bread. In the next instant, there is Christ.

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I agree with F/J. If there is a moment when a host is neither bread nor the Body, what is it? It can't be nothing.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Miracle Max: He probably owes you money huh? I'll ask him.

Inigo Montoya: He's dead. He can't talk.

Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Inigo Montoya: What's that?

Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

ForumJunkie wrote:
pax wrote:
ForumJunkie wrote:
pax wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

FJ

Ok. Transubstantiation.

Body to corpse.

Since the body continues to exist throughout those moments, then what is it when it is neither alive nor dead. It has to have some form to exist in this reality.

I think you are encountering a problem in your thinking.

FJ

What are the two events separated by? If it is an infinitesimal point then it is nothing (has no real existence) and there is no separation. I can't think of a better way to say it, but if there is no separation by something bigger than an infinitesimal then the two events "touch" and do in fact exist together. There must be some separation greater than an infinitesimal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I agree with F/J. If there is a moment when a host is neither bread nor the Body, what is it? It can't be nothing.

I don't know. But neither can there be a moment when the bread and the Body exist together. They must be separated in time by something greater than an infinitesimal span of time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:55 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

pax wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I don't know. But neither can there be a moment when the bread and the Body exist together. They must be separated in time by something greater than an infinitesimal span of time.
The change is instantaneous; there is no time at all between when it is bread and when it is the Body. (All substantial changes are instantaneous.)

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:52 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
pax wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

The change is instantaneous; there is no time at all between when it is bread and when it is the Body. (All substantial changes are instantaneous.)

Because there must be some substance present to support the accidents?

Still, if there is no separation of time with a magnitude greater than zero between the events then the events collapse in upon themselves and exist together. That is what I am reading in Father Spitzer's book, and he did write his thesis on the nature of time.

I guess what it boils down to is how we understand time. Is time fluid with one event flowing into the other? Or is time more like an old movie film strip, with each event a frame separated from the other frame?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

That some events (such as substantial change) are instantaneous does not mean that all events are instantaneous.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 151 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next