Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 12   [ 234 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Catholics and Beer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:49 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i highly doubt it ... btw, you forgot moderately :fyi:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:11 am 
Adept
Adept

torn wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
torn wrote:
What is the teaching of the Catholic Church in regard to cannabis as a recreational drug? Does the Church teach that it is always a sin, even in moderation? Or is it - like alcohol - not a sin in moderation?

When considered as a recreational drug, it would probably be a venial sin, depending on the possible penalties for possession (if those penalties are harsh, then it could be a mortal sin because one could be depriving his family of a breadwinner, for example). If used for a just reason, such as calming one's nerves or to treat nausea or as a painkiller, then there would be no sin at all.

In countries where possession of cannabis is not against the law, and if used recreationally and socially (like alcohol), and not for medical reasons, does the Church teach that it is a sin?

what does your conscience say about it ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:44 pm 
Adept
Adept

Jakub wrote:
torn wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
torn wrote:
What is the teaching of the Catholic Church in regard to cannabis as a recreational drug? Does the Church teach that it is always a sin, even in moderation? Or is it - like alcohol - not a sin in moderation?

When considered as a recreational drug, it would probably be a venial sin, depending on the possible penalties for possession (if those penalties are harsh, then it could be a mortal sin because one could be depriving his family of a breadwinner, for example). If used for a just reason, such as calming one's nerves or to treat nausea or as a painkiller, then there would be no sin at all.

In countries where possession of cannabis is not against the law, and if used recreationally and socially (like alcohol), and not for medical reasons, does the Church teach that it is a sin?

what does your conscience say about it ?

It's not a burning issue for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:42 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Hey, FS, have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsd7DGqVSIc&sns=fb

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:24 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

i hope that is what you shared with me on fb... absolutely LOVED it...and had never heard of it...

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:35 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

It is, and neither had I until another FB friend posted it. Such great commercials for such a lousy beer.......... :roll:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:04 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

that was actually going to be my comment... t'was a crying shame the beer had to be of the bud variety

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:32 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I am convinced that a beer is not without honor, save in its own country. Mexicans feel the same way about Corona that we do about Bud---blech!

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:34 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

really..had no idea..learn something new every day....i can't talk...my favorite beer back in the day...the kind that i took to my poker games was molson golden 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
ghall512 wrote:
I am convinced that a beer is not without honor, save in its own country. Mexicans feel the same way about Corona that we do about Bud---blech!

The trouble with Bud is not so much that it is disgusting, although it is. The trouble with it is that Anheuser Busch and the other two big breweries together eradicated most of the decent beer made by small, local brewers in this country, and now they use their influence to keep the start-up companies out of the stores.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:26 am 

My DH says those types of beer (Bud and Busch) are basically carbonated water....all fizz.

We support microbreweries as much as possible. There's a good local one now started by a small group of friends.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 am 

Oh and as I understand it Sam Adams has a fund where they give 'seed money' to start up small group breweries.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
gherkin wrote:
they use their influence to keep the start-up companies out of the stores.

Wow, talk about an epic fail, even in a small, rural grocery store I can easily find more than 200 brands of beer....more if I go to the liquor store in the same town....

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 am 

There might be 20 here...if that many.

SV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 am 

Doom wrote:
gherkin wrote:
they use their influence to keep the start-up companies out of the stores.

Wow, talk about an epic fail, even in a small, rural grocery store I can easily find more than 200 brands of beer....more if I go to the liquor store in the same town....

The little documentary Beer Wars shows a bit of the backstory here. :fyi:

One thing to bear in mind is that lots of the apparent microbrews you're finding in stores are actually owned by AB. They see the writing on the wall as far as the significant market movement towards drinking real beer, so in cases where they can't keep competitors off the displays, they will do their best to buy them out, while taking care not to make it obvious on the packaging that the "microbrew" you think you're buying actually belongs to AB.

At any rate, to some extent the die is cast here. People want real beer, and AB is going to surrender market share to local brewers. Stores that have a clientele that wants real beer, will put it on the shelves even if AB punishes them for it. You can find smaller breweries on the shelves at my local stores, too, if you're looking for them. Yuengling has made a strong move recently around here, for example. But they get a two foot wide space in a cooler that stretches for probably thirty yards. Guess who gets almost all of those thirty yards? AB, Coors, and Miller. And not by accident.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 am 

There's one microbrewery beer on the local grocery store shelf here and it's the local one (from an hour away). If you go to the local liquor store you go up to about 5 true mircobreweries..and I include Sam Adams in that since they are still as far as I know not owned by AB.

To get into any real number of them you'd have to drive over an hour and even then it's not a huge number of true microbreweries.

SV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:24 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Well, the city I am talking about IS a college town, so obviously there is more alcohol than in the usual small town...

But the real reason why people go to the 'big breweries' is price, you can buy 3 times as much Miller Lite for the same amount of money as a microbrew or imported beer.....since beer drinkers are disproportionately poor, and since the main reaon 90% of people drink beer is to get drunk and they don't really care about the taste...they naturally gravitate towards the cheaper options.

Do you have any idea how many people have told me that they know Miller Lite or Milwaukee's Best or Pabst Blue Ribbon isn't very good but they don't care because they aren't connessiours and they only want to get drunk? Easily in the low hundreds.

Cheap beers are bought by people who want to get drunk, expensive beers are bought by connessiours. Guess which group makes up 90% of the market for beer?

So, the reason why people are not buying more expensive beers is not because those beers aren't being given adequate shelf space, if a person who wants to get drunk sees a $10 beer and a $5 beer, he will always go for the $5 beer.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 am 

Lots of people who don't want to get drunk still drink bad beer, simply because they don't know any different. They've always drank Bud. It's their brand. They wouldn't buy anything else. Even though there's no mortal reason for preferring Bud over, say, Miller, they'll pass on Miller even when it's for sale for much cheaper than the Bud. You know what? I like that. I like people having a kind of loyalty to "their" stuff. The trouble is that Budweiser isn't actually anyone's. It's not some great local brewery that you can get behind. It's this huge, inhuman monster. This situation where the average beer drinker--not the well-off beer aesthete, but the average guy--drinks stuff only from one of the big 3 brewers, that's not normal.

Now, for a Pennsylvania native to have a kind of pre-rational commitment to drinking Yeungling, that's normal: it's his beer, made in his state and owned by people who still live there. But Budweiser killed most of those local breweries, and substituted themselves for these natural, local ties.

I'd say the norm for beer drinking is this kind of thing: the average guy who has a couple of beers after work, and just buys what he's always bought. 100 years ago, he'd have bought something made in his town. Now, he buys something made by one of the big 3. It never occurs to him that he even could be drinking a local beer, made by his friends and family, in his community.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

St Veronica wrote:
We support microbreweries as much as possible. There's a good local one now started by a small group of friends.

"Support your local brewery!" as the bumper stickers around here say. And there are several here.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:55 am 

If you ever see 'Mothers' be sure to try it! They make seasonal beers, DH says they are really good.

SV

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 8 of 12   [ 234 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next