Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]   
 Post subject: Is Christianity evil (reasons enclosed)...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:08 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
After being forced by the Jewish mob to sentence Jesus to death, Pilate symbolically washes his hands and pronounces:

"I am not responsible for the death of this man! This is your doing. The whole crowd [the Jews] answered back: "Let his blood be on our heads and the heads of our children."" (Matthew 27:24-25)

Paul, makes a special point of blaming the Jews for the death of Jesus:

"[the Jews] killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and persecuted us. How displeasing they are to God! How hostile they are to all men. They even tried to stop us from preaching to the Gentiles...This is the last full measure of the sins they have always committed. And now God's wrath has at last fallen upon them." (Thessalonians 1,2)

The most terrible accusation appears in John's gospel:

"You are the children of your father, the Devil, and you want to follow your father's desires. From the very beginning he was a murderer." (John 8:44).

From John Chrysostom, the Patriarch of Constantinople, we get this:

"Jews are the most worthless of men- - they are lecherous, greedy, rapacious - they are perfidious murderers of Christians, they worship the devil, their religion is a sickness ... The Jews are the odious assassins of Christ and for killing god there is no expiation, no indulgence, no pardon. Christians may never cease vengeance. The Jews must live in servitude forever. It is incumbent on all Christians to hate the Jews."

From Gregory of Nyssa, we get more of the same:

"Slayers of the lord, murderers of the prophets, adversaries of god, haters of god, men who show contempt for the law, foes of grace, enemies of the father's faith, advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers, scoffers, men whose minds are in darkness, leaven of the Pharisees, assembly of demons, sinners, wicked men, stoners and haters of righteousness."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:02 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Christians are evil? I'm not sure what you're getting at with your post, except anti-semitism, unless that's the evil you're referring to. In that case, they join a few other religions in that respect, ie. radical Islam for instance.

* Sometimes we turn to God when our foundations are shaking, only to find out it is God who is shaking them. *

Gloria Virtutis Umbra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:57 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Your Thessalonian quotation's citation is wrong. I don't have time to look up the proper citation now, and discuss the quotation, but will later. In the meantime, check your sources, if you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:49 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
sorry about that.
I simply cut and pasted from an Islamic web site.
I assumed it was correct.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:35 pm 

If anyone doubts Paul's affection for his own people the Jews, let them read Romans 9:1-5:

"I speak the truth in Christ, I do not lie; my conscience joins with the holy Spirit in bearing me witness that I have great sorrow and constant anguish in my heart.

For I could wish that I myself were accursed and separated from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kin according to the flesh.
They are Israelites; theirs the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; theirs the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, is the Messiah. God who is over all be blessed forever. Amen. "

Quote:
"You are the children of your father, the Devil, and you want to follow your father's desires. From the very beginning he was a murderer." (John 8:44).

In context they were trying to kill Jesus (John 8:37 & 40) probably through stoning. Jesus was refuting their claim that it was their father Abraham's law that Jesus should be stoned to death.

Quote:
"Jews are the most worthless of men- - they are lecherous, greedy, rapacious - they are perfidious murderers of Christians, they worship the devil, their religion is a sickness ... The Jews are the odious assassins of Christ and for killing god there is no expiation, no indulgence, no pardon. Christians may never cease vengeance. The Jews must live in servitude forever. It is incumbent on all Christians to hate the Jews."

I can't find this quote anywhere in my library of St. John's Chrysostom's works. Try to find it's origin because it seems completely out of character from what I'm reading.

Quote:
"Slayers of the lord, murderers of the prophets, adversaries of god, haters of god, men who show contempt for the law, foes of grace, enemies of the father's faith, advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers, scoffers, men whose minds are in darkness, leaven of the Pharisees, assembly of demons, sinners, wicked men, stoners and haters of righteousness."

Do you know the source of this quote?

God's love,
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:56 pm 
Adept
Adept

Quote:
sorry about that.
I simply cut and pasted from an Islamic web site.
I assumed it was correct.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:06 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Pantheist
:?:

Even if the points raised were valid (of which, I have my doubts), there's nothing in there saying that christianity is evil. Antisemitic, maybe, but evil? Certainly there have been Christians who have wroght evils, but then again, the same can be said for almost any religion.

And an Islamic website (depending on it's goals) may be the worst place to find information.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]