Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What's your age range & highest level of education?
18 & under age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19-24 age range 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
25-29 age range 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
30-39 age range 12%  12%  [ 22 ]
40-49 age range 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
50-59 age range 9%  9%  [ 17 ]
60-69 age range 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
70-79 age range 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
80 & Up age range 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
still in high school/home schooled 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school dropout 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
GED 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
high school graduate 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
some college/university courses, but haven’t earned a degree yet 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
technical/vocational school 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Associate Degree 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Bachelor’s Degree 18%  18%  [ 33 ]
Master’s Degree 6%  6%  [ 10 ]
Doctorate Degree 4%  4%  [ 8 ]
I have two degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
I have three or more degrees 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 180
 Post subject: Re: Poll: Age Range & Education Level
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:49 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Santa Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
Santa Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
When you consider everyone here is "above average" simply by being a computer user...

That would be true....if this was 1980 but it is 2010 (almost 2011) and now something like 80% of the population owns (or at least uses) a computer and the majority of those are online...free WiFi is everywhere, 40% of the population owns a smartphone with internet access, and even basic consumer electronics such as Blu Ray Players and video game consoles now connect to the Internet

Being on a computer makes us decidedly average and even (gulp) mainstream

In MY TOWN, fewer than 50% own or use computers.

And what percentage have electricity? :)

I am talking about actual civilization here...come on :)

Hang on a sec, gotta shove some more coal into this laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:51 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Athanasius wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

Listened to a radio interview yesterday with an author who was discussing the tragedy that people no longer attend college to become educated people, they do so to get a degree and get a job. Our universities have become nothing but trade schools.

Sad.

Professor Milt Rosenberg has been on this rant for decades. http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/ext720/

This was an Al Kresta re-run, the author is Christian Smith and the book they were discussing is "Souls in Transition".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:55 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
Athanasius wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

Listened to a radio interview yesterday with an author who was discussing the tragedy that people no longer attend college to become educated people, they do so to get a degree and get a job. Our universities have become nothing but trade schools.

Sad.

Professor Milt Rosenberg has been on this rant for decades. http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/ext720/

This was an Al Kresta re-run, the author is Christian Smith and the book they were discussing is "Souls in Transition".

I always respond to whiny students who complain 'why do I have to learn this? I am never going to use it!' that the reason is because 'this is a university, the purpose of a university is to provide you with a liberal education, if you only want to learn the bare minimum necessary to be able to do a particular job then you should have gone to a vocational or trade school'

They don't like that answer, but that is basically it.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:59 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Another thread prompted me to bump this one. We have some newbies that might want to chime in.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:48 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Oh dear, I didn't notice this was an old thread. I was around at the time but have no recollection of it. But I have just voted and since I am in the 60-69 band it may be that I had already voted back in 2010 but just don't remember. Sigh. Anyway, in case anyone is still interested, my BA was in philosphy (or as Cambridge called it then, Moral Sciences) That was back in 1971 and jusst over 2 decades later I did a professional training in psychoanalytiic psychotherapy Masters equivalent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:56 pm 
Adept
Adept

Turned 29 last month, 7 classes left after my current ones for my bachelors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:48 pm 
Adept
Adept

I have a BA degree in Psychology and Sociology (joint honours), and a BA Education degree (English and Dramatic Art).

I'm still very young, in my 50s.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:02 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
I did vote then, but don't remember discussing about it in the thread.

So.....I will now. I may have mentioned elsewhere that I am a high school graduate of all public schools, and have a D.D.D. degree, which is in Diapers, Dishes, and Dilemmas. (four boys, four girls). :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree KofC
Wondered why my answer's were pre-filled for me...then checked the date of the thread. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:02 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
nesseca wrote:
Wondered why my answer's were pre-filled for me...then checked the date of the thread. :oops:

Hey.quit stuffing the ballot box! Only dead Democrats get to vote twice!

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:07 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

The conversation on guidance is very interesting. I have almost the complete opposite of what VS had, and it worked out very badly.

My parents played a big part in deciding where, and what, I was studying. I wanted to join the military but was informed that it was below me and that wasn't allowed. In hindsight I wouldn't have got in because they would have picked up my psych problems but I wasn't even allowed to try. Which universities I could attend and what areas of study were appropriate were decided for me and I got to pick from them. At the time I didn't have the backbone to stand up for myself and I ended up wasting about 6 years and now have around $40 000 (I think) worth of debt as a result.

I have a Bachelors degree in Economics. I don't use it and wasted too much time to get it. My parents were very influencial in what I did, but it isn't them that lives with the negative consequences. It's me. Similiar stories with my brothers.

It wasn't until we told our parents were they could go with their views that any of us started seeing anything resembling success.

I think that VegasCane's attitude is great, and it is an attitude all my brothers now have towards their kids, and it's an attitude I will have if I ever have children.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:35 pm 

Religion: Undecided
@Jayne, i agree with you in terms of parents influencing their children to follow the "right path" vs. follow your dreams. i wasted so much time in college trying to make my mom proud, only to realize its a waste of money. my mom's side of the family is all in the medical field, my 19 yr old brother is also going into it, my sister is a vet tech. i want nothing to do with that field...defintely the odd duck in the family in terms of choosing a different career path!

26 now, but only have my AS degree. 3 semesters away from geting my BA in geography though :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I have a trade certificate(I am assuming that is what "technical/vocational school" is) in electronics.
But I will finish my bachelors degree in computer science this year and will probably get masters next year, I have family that are doing PhDs, so that might be an option later down the line too.

edit: and I am 27.

"I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden." ~ St. Augustine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:47 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Jayne wrote:
The conversation on guidance is very interesting. I have almost the complete opposite of what VS had, and it worked out very badly.

My parents played a big part in deciding where, and what, I was studying. I wanted to join the military but was informed that it was below me and that wasn't allowed. In hindsight I wouldn't have got in because they would have picked up my psych problems but I wasn't even allowed to try. Which universities I could attend and what areas of study were appropriate were decided for me and I got to pick from them. At the time I didn't have the backbone to stand up for myself and I ended up wasting about 6 years and now have around $40 000 (I think) worth of debt as a result.

I have a Bachelors degree in Economics. I don't use it and wasted too much time to get it. My parents were very influencial in what I did, but it isn't them that lives with the negative consequences. It's me. Similiar stories with my brothers.

It wasn't until we told our parents were they could go with their views that any of us started seeing anything resembling success.

I think that VegasCane's attitude is great, and it is an attitude all my brothers now have towards their kids, and it's an attitude I will have if I ever have children.

Sometimes it does take part of a lifetime to become aware that something was awry in the way we were brought up. I believe that all of us, to some extent, have experienced that in different ways.

Nothing is wasted, and we are still on this planet. "All things work together for good for those who love God." God is patient. Nothing is wasted in the economy of salvation.

Our Lord Jesus Christ, who, being God is outside of time, can walk back to the areas of our life that were detrimental to us, and heal us if we are receptive. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
nesseca wrote:

hehe, had this thread been resurrected in 4 months from now, i would have been able to "correct" my age answer 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:28 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

My parents just wanted me to go to college, no particulars on field of study. At the time I began college (1963) Vietnam was going on and the Draft so I took Army ROTC. I really didn't know what I wanted to do, except I knew I didn't want a career in the military. It took me a couple of years to figure out I didn't want to major in Psychology or then Geology and I happened to take a basic art course the first semester of my Junior year. Ended up majoring in Fine Arts and upon graduation went on active duty for two years. Came off active duty and was in the Army Reserves while being director of an adult Arts and Crafts center. Had the opportunity to return to active duty a few years later and did so finally retiring. In high school never really thought about art as a college major or being in the military as a career.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:51 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
I'm in my fifties and I don't have any qualifications.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:09 pm 
Deactived by request

I'm late 40's with no qualifications. I was an ok mummy though if that's a qualification?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:19 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
I'm nineteen and in college.

I hope you all feel old now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:07 pm 
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.
Grand Wazoo college bowl game picker.

Religion: Roman Catholic
This thread is older than Moses. Who bumped it?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 8   [ 144 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next