Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 5   [ 96 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is the use of expressions such as "for Christ's sake" offensive?
Yes 89%  89%  [ 48 ]
No 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Texas 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 54
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:48 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
Student wrote:
KT, how on earth can you not find this objectively sinful? Seriously? You are taking the Lord's name in vain without question.


<<sigh>> I already admitted that the one time I said "Christ" was out of line. I am talking about phrases like "oh my Lord" or "good God" or stuff like that.

Aw to Hell with it. No use talking when no one is listening.

The M Word wrote:
Knight Templar wrote:
St Veronica wrote:
Well so far 12 people to 1 think it's offensive.
SV

I think they are voting out of dislike for me more than anything else, not that I really care. Actually, since the OP still bears my name and I didn't write any of it, I'd appreciate it if it were locked.


If there is one thing that I have always noted about this board, people do not choose sides by who they like or dislike. I have seen Catholics arguing with some foul atheists (they really were foul it is not a general statement about atheists) and the Catholic has been in error on something. I have seen other Catholics take a position counter to that Catholic they like and side with a foul atheist. Nobody is bearing false witness because they dislike you. To accuse them of breaking the commandment against bearing false witness lacks charity.


Oh, so now I am out of line for expressing my opinion on that too. Okay.
Well, I'm certainly not one to stay where I'm not welcome.

_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Last edited by Knight Templar on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15756
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Suit yourself. I am just saying that if you are going to have a pity party where no one likes you and go eat worms, fine. But, please understand that opinions expressed are not based on a like or dislike of you and you truly did just accuse all of us of bearing false witness.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:58 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:38 am
Posts: 3651
Location: Britain
Depends HOW you say it, and with what feeling in your heart. In anger, it's like a curse, but you can say 'In God's name', or 'For Heaven's sake' in a positive way. I grew up on the Veluwe in Holland, in 'Bible-belt country', and everybody around me would end every sentence with 'God willing', 'in God's name' and 'May God bless it'...it was just how we talked! I still end a lot of my sentences with 'In God's name', and I assure you I mean it as homage to our Lord, because He is in my mind constantly...So, if that is the case with the OP, then yes, it's fine. If it's a remark of exasperation or anger, then no.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:10 am
Posts: 28951
Location: Firin' up my still
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Maybe we can lighten things up by POST PADDING :wave

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
And just for the record: I posted this thread in the men's forum because it was supposed to be about how men talk to each other while drinking a beer or shooting pool. That was what the thread was about and who it was aimed at.

Edited to remove rude comments directed at me (and by the way, I am still not a man)

This entire thread has nothing at all to do with what I originally posted!!!

You people want to talk about "unethical"? That must be THEE MOST unethical thing I have ever seen a mod do.

_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 pm 
Offline
Board Administrator
Board Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:44 pm
Posts: 18575
Religion: Catholic
Um, you posted in the Wine Cellar, which is a public forum, like this one, open to all registered users, NOT the men's forum. The shadow topic is still there. I don't go in the men's forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Your Manner of Speaking
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 pm 
Offline
Board Administrator
Board Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:44 pm
Posts: 18575
Religion: Catholic
Knight Templar wrote:
Kotton wrote:
Wonder what it could be? :scratch:
Texas was the ONLY option.


Not the only one: I voted "Bar Brawler".

As for the reason: When someone else votes "Bar Brawler" I'll know there is someone here who I can PM and speak plainly to without hurting anyone's feelings. Something was done to me in another thread that was so outrageously stupid & unbelievable that I still can't believe it. Unfortunately, I can't post about it either.


Furthermore, this thread is still about what you intended it to be about - the "outrageously stupid & unbelievable" something that was done to you in another thread that you thought you couldn't post about. It's just a more direct and less passive aggressive way of dealing with the issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15756
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Zeno got HIS panties in a bunch? Would that be before, during, or after HE gave birth to a plethora of children that call HIM "Mom"?

Knight Templar, quite behaving like a jerk. You obviously have not been following along well, because it was already pointed out that Zeno is a lovely lady. You also had no idea where you posted. Settle down and just take it for what it's worth -- don't use the Lord's name in vain, at least around here. That simple. Carry on.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
Knight Templar wrote:
And just for the record: I posted this thread in the men's forum because it was supposed to be about how men talk to each other while drinking a beer or shooting pool. That was what the thread was about and who it was aimed at.

Edited to remove rude comments directed at me (and by the way, I am still not a man)

This entire thread has nothing at all to do with what I originally posted!!!

You people want to talk about "unethical"? That must be THEE MOST unethical thing I have ever seen a mod do.

What's wrong. You don't want people to know the truth? That the thread was about MEN shooting pool, having a beer, and about how MEN talk to each other? About how you got mad at a PM I sent you and decided to change the venue, change the wording, change the audience, change the poll, put words in my mouth I never said, all because you got upset? You find the truth offensive? Keep editing the truth out. They may not know what you are doing, but I do.

Zeno wrote:
Um, you posted in the Wine Cellar, which is NOT the men's forum......


The Wine Cellar
Fellowship for us old guys...40+.

I don't know what "old guys" means to you, but it sure looks like men to me.


_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:36 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 79178
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
did you bother to check out the private fora which actually do include the men's and women's fora?

old guys was just another way of saying 'old folk'... why else would the age suggestion be there... get it now... aging like fine wine

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Last edited by faithfulservant on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:36 pm 
Offline
**********
**********
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 pm
Posts: 1015
Religion: -----
The M Word wrote:
.......You obviously have not been following along well, because it was already pointed out that Zeno is a lovely lady...
...
Does a lovely person totally erase, distort, and repost a post in someone else's name? What were you saying earlier, about how we are responsible for putting images in other people's minds? What do you suppose it put in my mind to see my name and avatar over something I never said in a sub-forum where I never said it? Do your friends get a pass on the rules you apply to others?

_________________



Pauperes commilitones Christi Templique Solomonici


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:39 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 79178
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
might it have suggested to you that you committed a faux pas?

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:39 pm 
Offline
Board Administrator
Board Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:44 pm
Posts: 18575
Religion: Catholic
Knight Templar wrote:
Knight Templar wrote:
And just for the record: I posted this thread in the men's forum because it was supposed to be about how men talk to each other while drinking a beer or shooting pool. That was what the thread was about and who it was aimed at.

Edited to remove rude comments directed at me (and by the way, I am still not a man)

This entire thread has nothing at all to do with what I originally posted!!!

You people want to talk about "unethical"? That must be THEE MOST unethical thing I have ever seen a mod do.

What's wrong. You don't want people to know the truth? That the thread was about MEN shooting pool, having a beer, and about how MEN talk to each other? About how you got mad at a PM I sent you and decided to change the venue, change the wording, change the audience, change the poll, put words in my mouth I never said, all because you got upset? You find the truth offensive? Keep editing the truth out. They may not know what you are doing, but I do.

Zeno wrote:
Um, you posted in the Wine Cellar, which is NOT the men's forum......


The Wine Cellar
Fellowship for us old guys...40+.

I don't know what "old guys" means to you, but it sure looks like men to me.


You have misunderstood. "Old guys" means everyone over 40. If it was men only it would be a subforum of the League of Gentlemen, which is in fact the men's forum. No one else has been confused by that in the years we have had that forum, but just to be sure there are no further misunderstandings, I'll change the description to the gender inclusive phrase "guys and gals."

Given, now, that where you posted it was not where you thought you posted it, perhaps you should consider that you did not limit the scope of your post to your intended audience, but in fact to all "old guys and gals." I brought it here because it seemed you would get a more appropriate response here, in the pub. Threads get relocated from one forum to another all the time. (ETA: And since both forums are PUBLIC forums, open to all registered users, there was no exposing anything that wasn't already viewable to all.)

The PM I received from you did nothing except make sure that I was full aware of the context of your question, that I was very clear that you thought that it was "thin-skinned" to object to the misuse of Our Lord's name, and that you thought I had mistreated you because of my own "thin-skin." Your not-so-subtle reference to that made it clear what you really wanted to know with your poll.

Again, I did not put words in your mouth. The fact that I typed in red made it clear I had edited your post as an Admin.

The bottom line here, it seems, is that you are not liking the answer you are getting and so you want to pitch a big enough fit to get the thread locked.

What's actually going to happen is if you continue in this vein, you'll be put on post moderation.

Your choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:40 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15756
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Alright, honest mistake. THe wine cellar description uses guys in the general sense. THe Men's Forum specifically says it is for gentlemen. Shall we stop hollering now? Really, a thread about not taking the Lord's name in vain has morphed into you screaming at people. Grow up. Man up. Say "Okey dokey." and move along.

She took out your poll that was trying to justify something the mods and admins here are not going to allow. She did so in red which around here means it came from an admin. Nobody took the words in the OP to be yours once they were red. That is not placing your name and avatar on something to make it look like you wrote it. Get a grip. Unless you are really that devoted to taking the Lord's name in vain this is a lot of energy spent going nowhere except towards high blood pressure.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:43 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 79178
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
force fingers on both of you for the explanation of the wine cellar make up :bis: :leb:

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:45 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15756
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
duly noted and appreciated.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 79178
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
:mrgreen: :wave

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 pm 
Offline
DIY Guru Moderator
DIY Guru Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 pm
Posts: 15756
Location: Gone fishin'
Religion: Jesus said, "This IS My Body!"
Alright, don't let it go to your head or anything.

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 pm 
Offline
Board Administrator
Board Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:44 pm
Posts: 18575
Religion: Catholic
I've added a note to the OP to make it clear both the post and poll were edited by Admin. :fyi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is the use of Our Lord's name in this way offensive?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:49 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 79178
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
it's nice to be appreciated :cloud9:

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 5   [ 96 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: VegasCane and 1 guest


Jump to: