Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Monk
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peetem wrote:
There's some really good writing early on it seems.

The episode I saw last night had references to the change in theme song and even went back to the one used for season one to close the show.

Genius.

I prefer the original theme song, it gives the show a more serious, more somber tone which I think is appropriate for the subject matter.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:33 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Religion: Catholic
We loved it too. Went through everything on Netflix. We were so bummed when we ran out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:40 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:

The episode I saw last night had references to the change in theme song and even went back to the one used for season one to close the show.

Genius.

I prefer the original theme song, it gives the show a more serious, more somber tone which I think is appropriate for the subject matter.

I like the original theme, but I wouldn't have said it sounded particularly serious, and definitely not somber.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 am 
King of Cool

gherkin wrote:
Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:

Genius.

I like the original theme, but I wouldn't have said it sounded particularly serious, and definitely not somber.

Then you must not remember it, the original theme is a melancholy jazz piano composition which the show would play whenever Monk was depressed for some reason or another. And the original opening credits with Monk getting ready for his day to go see Dr. Kroger gave the show a downbeat feel from the first moment, especially in the pilot episode where you can hear Monk talking to himself while he prepares for the day. Music ALWAYS dominates video, if you have the happiest video ever filmed, but put a really sad song over it, the video becomes depressing. And those original credits are depressing.

Honestly, the only TV theme song I can think of that is more depressing is the sad little song that used to play over the end credits of 'The Incredible Hulk' where you see David Banner hitchhiking. Man, as a kid I practically wept every week seeing that....and the name of the song? Appropriately enough....'The Lonely Man'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:50 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

OK, there was an episode that had Snoop Dog doing the It's a Jungle Out There theme - it sounded so evil and menacing when he did it! I hated it. Other than that I liked both themes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:53 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

The original theme is available as an MP3 download at Amazon so you can hear a sample of it there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 am 
King of Cool

Zeno wrote:
The original theme is available as an MP3 download at Amazon so you can hear a sample of it there.

Oh, I know the theme, I've heard it enough times I can play it in my head at will. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 am 
King of Cool

Zeno wrote:
OK, there was an episode that had Snoop Dog doing the It's a Jungle Out There theme - it sounded so evil and menacing when he did it! I hated it. Other than that I liked both themes.

I like how on the show 'Psych' they always change the theme song to make it appropriate for whatever the show is about....the Boyz II Men version in particular is really good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 am 

Doom wrote:
Then you must not remember it, the original theme is a melancholy jazz piano composition which the show would play whenever Monk was depressed for some reason or another.

No, I definitely do not remember that. The original theme that I remember is a light little fun jazz guitar piece. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7asXAbpLi3w (no rolls!)

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:56 am 

Zeno wrote:
OK, there was an episode that had Snoop Dog doing the It's a Jungle Out There theme - it sounded so evil and menacing when he did it!

Yeah, that was pretty oppressive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:02 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
gherkin wrote:
Doom wrote:
Then you must not remember it, the original theme is a melancholy jazz piano composition which the show would play whenever Monk was depressed for some reason or another.

No, I definitely do not remember that. The original theme that I remember is a light little fun jazz guitar piece. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7asXAbpLi3w (no rolls!)

definitely light and fun...sounds vaguely familiar though...wonder where i've heard something like that before...on a commercial...telephone on hold music...elevator music...somewhere

De Maria numquam satis

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2