Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 8   [ 154 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: some they got right...some were not even close
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:12 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-100- ... ock-songs/

GnR sweet child?
skynyrd sweet home??
neil young rockin' in the free world???
sabbath paranoid????

some i agree with
seger turn the page
ccr fortunate son
springsteen born to run (barely)
heart barracuda
animals house of the rising sun

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject: Re: some they got right...some were not even close
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

any guesses on what the zep song, the beatles song and the hendrix song will be?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
#1 will be Stairway to Heaven or Hey Jude, and whichever of these two is not number one, will be number 2.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so you think hey jude will be considered the beatles' best song? i kinda liked this list...as it is different from any other R&R song list i've ever seen

do you agree sweet child is GnR's best song?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:50 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
so you think hey jude will be considered the beatles' best song?

It was their most successful single (8 weeks at number 1 in 1968) and has always been ranked at #1 or #2 in every 'classic rock countdown' show that has been run for the last 30 years or so....

That being said, it is not actually my favorite Beatles song...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:01 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/06/05/ ... e-of-five/

http://music-superhits.blogspot.com/200 ... r-all.html

here are two that it didn't make it... let it be was#10 in one and a day in the life was #4 in the other

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:06 pm 
King of Cool

"Paint it Black", now that is a good song...another good one from the same era "Get Off My Cloud"

The Rolling Stones have sucked for so long that it's easy to forget that there was a brief period in the mid 60's when they were actually pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:25 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so add the stones and ac/dc to the above list... who will be the other 4 to grace the remainder of the list? one would think since they were top 10 they would be easy to guess...

don't see santana on there yet, so i'm guessing they have a top 10.. 3 more to go :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:45 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I had a hard time taking that list seriously. It's not because I don't like some of the songs listed. Some songs deserve to be in the top 100 whether they were my top 100 or not. I agree with the OP.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:50 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

so...got any clue as to what 3 groups will be in the top 10 that i have not mentioned yet :scratch:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:53 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

pink floyd and aerosmith were not in 10-100... perhaps they will make the top 10...so who is the obvious choice i am missing?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let's figger this out

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:25 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Moody Blues? I don't think I saw them on the list. Genesis?

Floyd rolled in at #9 with "Comfortably Numb." Not what I would have chosen for them, but then I could say the same about a lot of the bands on that list.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 am 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
Genesis?

Genesis were great in the late 60's and early 70's when they were a progressive rock band and before they became big...after Phil Collins took over they had a couple good albums (Abacab) which were somewhat progressive, but ultimately they went in a more pop oriented direction......and that is when they became popular....at the risk of sounding like a hipster, Genesis was good before they became popular and when they became popular they started to suck. So I don't think anything they did should appear on this kind of countdown, their best work is unknown, their known work isn't very good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:53 am 
Master
Master

Bagheera wrote:

Floyd rolled in at #9 with "Comfortably Numb." Not what I would have chosen for them, but then I could say the same about a lot of the bands on that list.

The Moody Blues, while an awesome band, are a little like Rush; their music has a unique and loyal following, as well as strong sales, but their songs wouldn't be considered "main stream" until late in their career (when the songs were actually terrible compared to their early stuff - think "Wildest Dreams" or "The Voice" - commercial drivel).

Genesis is similar to Moody Blues - their early stuff was really strange and eclectic until Peter Gabriel left. They didn't become more main stream until they sold out and went pop.

I'm actually surprise Pink Floyd made the cut. They are somewhat similar to the afore mentioned groups. "The Wall" has many popular cuts, but its their early stuff that's the best. "Dark Side of the Moon" was and still is awesome. "Money" or "Time" are much better than "Comfortably Numb".

Edited - I was somewhat force-fingered by Doom re: Genesis. We actually seem to agree!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:55 am 
King of Cool

Peetem wrote:
Bagheera wrote:

The Moody Blues, while an awesome band, are a little like Rush; their music has a unique and loyal following, as well as strong sales, but their songs wouldn't be considered "main stream" until late in their career (when the songs were actually terrible compared to their early stuff - think "Wildest Dreams" or "The Voice" - commercial drivel).

Genesis is similar to Moody Blues - their early stuff was really strange and eclectic until Peter Gabriel left. They didn't become more main stream until they sold out and went pop.

I'm actually surprise Pink Floyd made the cut. They are somewhat similar to the afore mentioned groups. "The Wall" has many popular cuts, but its their early stuff that's the best. "Dark Side of the Moon" was and still is awesome. "Money" or "Time" are much better than "Comfortably Numb".

Pink Floyd was popular when they were at their best....which is not something that can be said about most so called 'progressive' bands...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:
so you think hey jude will be considered the beatles' best song?

It was their most successful single (8 weeks at number 1 in 1968) and has always been ranked at #1 or #2 in every 'classic rock countdown' show that has been run for the last 30 years or so....

That being said, it is not actually my favorite Beatles song...

It's mine.

In fact, it's my only Beatles song.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:18 am 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
Peetem wrote:
Bagheera wrote:

Pink Floyd was popular when they were at their best....which is not something that can be said about most so called 'progressive' bands...

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Bagheera wrote:

while i would love to see the moodies come in to the top 100(i could put them there in place of some of the songs that made it) , i'm sure they won't be in the top 10... i can't remember the last time i heard a moody blues song on either of our classic rock stations

likewise i would be shocked if genesis made the top 10

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:26 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
I just had Sabbath's Symptom of the Universe start playing in my head at full volume. Why doesn't that one ever show up on these lists? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4mDO4eGG9k (no rolls!) But there are so many Sabbath songs that belong, it's hard to pick just a few. Hole in the Sky. Snowblind. NIB. The Wizard. Iron Man. Fairies Wear Boots. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Sweet Leaf. Etc.

Was Hendrix on the list at all? I looked through it quickly. I'm sure there must have been some Hendrix. But I didn't notice it. I'd maybe go with All Along the Watchtower if I had to pick just one Hendrix tune. The main reason for that is that once you hear Hendrix's version, you know you never need to listen to the original again. And the original is Bob $%#$# Dylan.

Speaking of Dylan, having Like a Rolling Stone on the list is pretty predictable, but his best song is almost certainly Hard Rain's Gonna Fall. Or maybe Don't Think Twice, it's Alright. Both of those would be on my list. Don't tell me they're "folk" rather than "rock." I don't care.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:30 pm 
King of Cool

faithfulservant wrote:
Bagheera wrote:

while i would love to see the moodies come in to the top 100(i could put them there in place of some of the songs that made it) , i'm sure they won't be in the top 10... i can't remember the last time i heard a moody blues song on either of our classic rock stations

likewise i would be shocked if genesis made the top 10

Ummmm...haven't heard a Moody Blues song....hello? 'Nights in White Satin'? What kind of so called 'classic rock' station doesn't play 'Nights in White Satin'? Answer: a crappy one.

Genesis is just unlikely because all the best Genesis tunes never get played on the radio...I think I would wet myself if I ever heard 'Supper's Ready' or 'Firth of Filth' on the radio. Now, the Phil Collins 'pop' era is not ALL BAD, contrary to myth, there was some good stuff that was made at that time, 'Abacab' was a decent progressive song, and in later years 'No Son of Mine' is pretty good, and their 'sell out' albums from the 80's did have a few gems buried in them that were never released as singles but...

A countdown of 'best classic rock songs' is really a countdown of 'best singles' or at least 'best classic rock songs that are commonly played on the radio'.....so nothing by Genesis would be eligible.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 8   [ 154 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next