Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 43 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do not support Home Depot!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:10 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Catholic
Anyone married here? Do they or their spouse have a diamond on their finger?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
VegasCane wrote:

I'm not married, but I think I can guess what you're talking about here. "Conflict" diamonds, right?

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 am 
Adept
Adept

MrZoom wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

I'm not married, but I think I can guess what you're talking about here. "Conflict" diamonds, right?

Quote:
De Beers estimates that only 3 percent of global rough diamonds now come from conflict areas in Africa, according to Andrew Lamont, a company spokesman who repeatedly said it was difficult to define a conflict area.

But Christine Gordon, a London-based journalist and independent diamond expert who has been critical of De Beers, said that as recently as the mid-1990's, diamonds from African war zones accounted for 10 to 15 percent of world supply.

In any case, violent goings-on in diamond-rich Africa have done nothing, thus far, to change the consuming habits of Americans, who buy more than half the world's diamond jewelry. Sales jumped about 11 percent last year. Diamond sales are also booming around the world, with De Beers showing record sales last year of more than $5 billion

Not a huge percentage, but still, up to 1 in 10 as of 2000. Very interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/06/world ... all&src=pm

U.N. Page on Conflict Diamonds

http://www.un.org/peace/africa/Diamond.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Yeah, that's the ticket. Sorry honey, it's cubic zirconium for you. We don't want to risk our money going for blood diamonds. See how that goes over.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:30 am 
Adept
Adept

Chris G wrote:
Yeah, that's the ticket. Sorry honey, it's cubic zirconium for you. We don't want to risk our money going for blood diamonds. See how that goes over.

:laughhard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Chris G wrote:

Frankly, diamonds are grossly overrated, DeBeers is a corrupt criminal cartel that artificially inflates the price of the diamonds it sells by artificially restricting the number it makes available. Diamonds are not actually 'rare' they are only made rare on purpose by DeBeers to justify inflating the price. You might be wondering 'how is deliberately limiting of something in order to increase the price legal?" and the answer is 'it isn't. Technically, what DeBeers does is contrary to about a million federal laws, which is why, for decades, DeBeers executives have been unable to enter the United States because they would be arrested on sight.

The whole mythology of the 'diamond engagement ring' was invented in the 1920's be DeBeers, as was the mythical 'two months salary' rule and the whole mythology of the diamond.

There is absolutely no reason why cubic zirconium, or a ruby or an emerald, or any less expensive gem, shouldn't be regarded as equally good as a diamond, it is only due to the brainwashing of the DeBeers criminal cartel that anyone thinks otherwise...

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 am 
Adept
Adept

Doom wrote:
Chris G wrote:

Frankly, diamonds are grossly overrated, DeBeers is a corrupt criminal cartel that artificially inflates the price of the diamonds it sells by artificially restricting the number it makes available. Diamonds are not actually 'rare' they are only made rare on purpose by DeBeers to justify inflating the price. You might be wondering 'how is deliberately limiting of something in order to increase the price legal?" and the answer is 'it isn't. Technically, what DeBeers does is contrary to about a million federal laws, which is why, for decades, DeBeers executives have been unable to enter the United States because they would be arrested on sight.

The whole mythology of the 'diamond engagement ring' was invented in the 1920's be DeBeers, as was the mythical 'two months salary' rule and the whole mythology of the diamond.

There is absolutely no reason why cubic zirconium, or a ruby or an emerald, or any less expensive gem, shouldn't be regarded as equally good as a diamond, it is only due to the brainwashing of the DeBeers criminal cartel that anyone thinks otherwise...

In addition to some of the money finding it's way to warlords :wink:

The wife and I have simple gold bands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 am 
King of Cool

VegasCane wrote:
In addition to some of the money finding it's way to warlords :wink:

Since 1999, they've actually been cracking down on DeBeers, so the 'conflict diamonds' are less of a problem than they used to be....since 2003 the Kimberly Process Certification Scheme has helped to significantly limit the number of conflict diamonds bought and sold in the international market.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

VegasCane wrote:

Gold mines fund warlords in the Congo.....as well as perpetuating child labor both in South America and Africa. (Children routinely die in the mines.) In the Congo, specifically, women are forced to work in the mines with their infants strapped to their backs. The fumes from the mines cause disease and death for both the women and the babies. :fyi:

The wife and I have simple aluminum foil bands. (jk)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 am 
Adept
Adept

Max Majestic wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

Gold mines fund warlords in the Congo.....as well as perpetuating child labor both in South America and Africa. (Children routinely die in the mines.) In the Congo, specifically, women are forced to work in the mines with their infants strapped to their backs. The fumes from the mines cause disease and death for both the women and the babies. :fyi:

Ah darn it. "Honey?......" :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:32 am 
King of Cool

Max Majestic wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

Gold is mined all over the world, including in the United States....indeed some of the biggest gold mines in the world are in the Black Hills of South Dakota, which is why you can't go more than 3 inches without seeing someone selling 'Black Hills gold' rings, necklaces and whatnot... and most of the gold bought and sold in the United States is from the United States.....diamonds are a bigger problem because there all imported from elsewhere.....and certifying diamonds as 'conflict free' is not actually all that difficult, so the enforcement mechanism is not very extreme or costly...

While the fact is that pretty much everything you can possibly buy, including food and clothing, has moral problems attached to it, conflict diamonds are a bigger problem than most and it is a problem which is relatively easily fixed....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
look on the bright side vegas...you can make a profit on your bands with the huge increase in gold prices in the last 4 years 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:39 am 
Adept
Adept

faithfulservant wrote:
look on the bright side vegas...you can make a profit on your bands with the huge increase in gold prices in the last 4 years 8-)

I can haz pokerz munee?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

VegasCane wrote:
Max Majestic wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

Ah darn it. "Honey?......" :wink:

Honey mines exploit bees and fund territorial disputes among neighboring hives. Each year, hundreds of people are stung in the crossfire...some of whom have allergic reactions and....oh, nevermind. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:47 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Max Majestic wrote:
VegasCane wrote:

Cool, they match your hats!

The wife and I have cigar bands.

“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”

“At times, power — including that of knowledge — blocks the path to encountering that child,” the Son of God, the savior of the world -Pope Benedict XVI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

VegasCane wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

I can haz pokerz munee?

indeads yuz kan!

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:14 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Max Majestic wrote:

Aluminum foil? We just draw wedding bands on our fingers every couple of days with a Sharpie.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

and you were grateful? 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Bagheera wrote:
Max Majestic wrote:

Aluminum foil? We just draw wedding bands on our fingers every couple of days with a Sharpie.

Don't get me started on the Sharpied boycott :roll:

Shapies are used by rock starts to autograph places that shouldn't be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 am 
Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Chris G wrote:
Shapies are used by rock starts to autograph places that shouldn't be.

Soooo....I should use a shapie to get my rock started? :scratch:

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 43 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next