Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Pentecostal to Catholic...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:17 pm 

Religion: Catholic hopeful
1HCaAC wrote:
As a convert myself I'm curious how you found the truth in the Catholic Faith.

Well, Let's see... I guess my "journey" began really when I had the opportunity to attend Mass at St. Paul's Cathedral in London a few years ago. It was the first time I had ever stepped foot into a Catholic church...and what an experience!!!! I knew absolutely nothing about the Church other than what I've read in history books (b/c I'm a big British history nut). Being raised in Pentecost, I had always been given the impression that Catholics were seriously confused and stuck in the Middle Ages. Anyways, as I sat through that Mass service at St. Paul's, I had such an overwhelming PEACE and sense of BELONGING and LOVE come over me that I sat there crying through most of the service thinking to myself "I don't know what this is all about but I know I have to learn!" I came home and have spent the past couple of years studying Catholicism from a distance, trying to learn and appreciate the faith in it's entirety. I didn't have any Catholic friends or family, so my journey has been one of great solitude, and somewhat secretive...b/c my family is almost violently against my decision to join the Church. I met and became very close friends with a guy who is a cradle Catholic, and very knowledgeable about the Faith. He helped me have the courage to start attending Mass, and to sign up for RCIA. He is very encouraging and I am so proud to now be a candidate in RCIA. I'm now passing on my books about Catholicism to my boyfriend/fiance who is on the same spiritual journey. He comes for a Baptist background, and is very interested in the Church. He is currently preparing for deployment to Afghanistan, his second tour of duty, so hopefully he will decide to begin RCIA when he returns home...after reading and learning while he's away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:44 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
sumrtime wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Well, Let's see... I guess my "journey" began really when I had the opportunity to attend Mass at St. Paul's Cathedral in London a few years ago. It was the first time I had ever stepped foot into a Catholic church...and what an experience!!!! I knew absolutely nothing about the Church other than what I've read in history books (b/c I'm a big British history nut). Being raised in Pentecost, I had always been given the impression that Catholics were seriously confused and stuck in the Middle Ages. Anyways, as I sat through that Mass service at St. Paul's, I had such an overwhelming PEACE and sense of BELONGING and LOVE come over me that I sat there crying through most of the service thinking to myself "I don't know what this is all about but I know I have to learn!" I came home and have spent the past couple of years studying Catholicism from a distance, trying to learn and appreciate the faith in it's entirety. I didn't have any Catholic friends or family, so my journey has been one of great solitude, and somewhat secretive...b/c my family is almost violently against my decision to join the Church. I met and became very close friends with a guy who is a cradle Catholic, and very knowledgeable about the Faith. He helped me have the courage to start attending Mass, and to sign up for RCIA. He is very encouraging and I am so proud to now be a candidate in RCIA. I'm now passing on my books about Catholicism to my boyfriend/fiance who is on the same spiritual journey. He comes for a Baptist background, and is very interested in the Church. He is currently preparing for deployment to Afghanistan, his second tour of duty, so hopefully he will decide to begin RCIA when he returns home...after reading and learning while he's away.

Your 'enlightenment', if you will, seems similar to mine, which I would say is being brought to the truth by the power of the Holy Spirit. He opens our hearts and minds, touching us and leading us to true Faith. There is a certainness and power of the experience that can have no other possible explanation than the working of the Holy Spirit.

Yes, converting can be a very difficult situation with family members. Christ mentioned He will "[S]et a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s enemies shall be they of his own household." (Mathew 10) That is strongly worded and I hope you do not take offense.

A big 'Hoorah' on attending RCIA and I hope you will find your class as rewarding as I found mine. There were several people in my class that were cradle Catholic's and they were often amazed at what they relearned, but now found they better understood the Catholic Faith.

Best wishes and God's blessing on your journey to the fullness of the Catholic Faith.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 pm 

Religion: Catholic hopeful
1HCaAC wrote:
sumrtime wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Your 'enlightenment', if you will, seems similar to mine, which I would say is being brought to the truth by the power of the Holy Spirit. He opens our hearts and minds, touching us and leading us to true Faith. There is a certainness and power of the experience that can have no other possible explanation than the working of the Holy Spirit.

Yes, converting can be a very difficult situation with family members. Christ mentioned He will "[S]et a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s enemies shall be they of his own household." (Mathew 10) That is strongly worded and I hope you do not take offense.

A big 'Hoorah' on attending RCIA and I hope you will find your class as rewarding as I found mine. There were several people in my class that were cradle Catholic's and they were often amazed at what they relearned, but now found they better understood the Catholic Faith.

Best wishes and God's blessing on your journey to the fullness of the Catholic Faith.

Thank you so much! I've already started meeting people that are so encouraging of my journey. I often feel like every time I take a step in the direction of the Church, God helps reinforce me with a sign...and he's sent me several lately, I'm so thankful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:00 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
sumrtime wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

I think you mean Westminster Cathedral...yes? St. Paul's Cathedral is Church of England, not us. :fyi:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:54 am 

Isn't there a St Paul's in NYC?

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
St Veronica wrote:
Isn't there a St Paul's in NYC?

SV

Cathedral? No. In NYC ours is St. Patrick's of course and the Anglicans have St. John the Divine....but the poster specifically said "Cathedral" and "London".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:25 am 

Ah ok.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:06 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
sumrtime wrote:
1HCaAC wrote:

Anyways, as I sat through that Mass service at St. Paul's, I had such an overwhelming PEACE and sense of BELONGING and LOVE come over me that I sat there crying through most of the service thinking to myself "I don't know what this is all about but I know I have to learn!"

:shock: Powerful! 8-)

ImageImage
http://www.distributistreview.com/mag/
Blessed Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko, pray for us!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2