Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Back and forth toward converting again and again
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:16 pm 

Religion: Anglican-Episcopalian
The first time I tried to convert to Catholicism, I was 14 years old. After going through the CCD classes and participating in the youth group for about a year, my parents said I could not join. That was when my life began to fall apart.
I was raised Southern Baptist with the usual anti-Catholic information given to me. I don't remember how or why my interest in Catholicism emerged, which is pretty strange. Not being able to join took an anchor away from me. I lived a pretty crazy life. I'm bipolar, which is really no excuse, but I often get teary imagining how much better my life could have been if I'd been allowed to convert.
I considered converting at age 18 and 25. When I was 26, I converted to Episcopalian. It just felt like a safe "compromise" in my mind. About 5 years later, I abandoned that and I became immersed in New Age teaching, spending outrageous money on getting nowhere.
Now, I have a boyfriend who is Catholic and we are occasionally going to mass. I've been re-considering joining for over a year now. I'm still moving through a process of thinking it all over again.

Post subject: Re: Back and forth toward converting again and again
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Hi and welcome. You feel that God is calling you home to the Church, don't you? You have nothing holding you back now from converting. When you join the Church, you will go to confession and be freed and cleansed of all of the sins and darkness of your past. You will have the holy Eucharist to strengthen you and bring you deep and enduring peace in your life. RCIA (which is like CCD for adults who are converting) usually begins in September. Why don't you ask your boyfriend to look into RCIA at his parish? There is no commitment when you join RCIA. You can just go to the classes and continue to go to Mass and pray and ask questions and take it from there. Do not be worried. God is very peaceful and gentle. Just keep praying and ask for God's help and He will lead you. If you have any questions about the Catholic Church please feel free to ask them in Catholicism 101.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:21 pm 

Thank you. Your words are very reassuring. I went to the church last year and spoke with a deacon and he said my boyfriend would need to go to a "lapsed Catholic" program at the same time as I went to RCIA and he didn't like that idea. He's just started going back to mass this year.

There's a fairly complex reason why I don't think now is a good time to join.. but I guess that doesn't mean I can't take the classes anyway. It's never a "good time." I didn't mention this above, but I'm 42 now.

Like you said, I'll just keep praying. And yes, I feel a strong desire to come home to the Church. It brought tears to my eyes to read it. It also helped to read that God is gentle. I tend to think I'm not moving fast enough towards what I know is right and I get frustrated with myself. When I'm frustrated enough, I tend to give up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:48 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

:wave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

krackatoa wrote:
Thank you. Your words are very reassuring. I went to the church last year and spoke with a deacon and he said my boyfriend would need to go to a "lapsed Catholic" program at the same time as I went to RCIA and he didn't like that idea. He's just started going back to mass this year.

Your boyfriend's faith has nothing to do with you converting. You can go through RCIA without your boyfriend ever setting foot back in a Catholic church (not that I'm encouraging that!). Please do what you need to do for your own salvation, regardless of what your boyfriend chooses to do.

"The time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires, will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and will wander off to fables" (2 Tm 4:3-4).

http://www.mythirtyone.com/107886

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:12 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome to DCF! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:46 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, krackatoa! Welcome to the board.

I hope that you will continue to pursue joining the Church. It does seem that the Holy Spirit is calling you home.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:50 am 
Citizen
Citizen

:wave
I will pray for you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm 

Thanks everybody! and Benedetta, I know what you're saying is right but I'm trying to time things for the best chance for both of us if I can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:47 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

Quote:
I went to the church last year and spoke with a deacon and he said my boyfriend would need to go to a "lapsed Catholic" program at the same time as I went to RCIA and he didn't like that idea. He's just started going back to mass this year.
I went through the "lapsed Catholic" program - best thing I ever did! Strengthened my faith, strengthened my theology, strengthened my commitment to the Church.

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:49 am 
Neener Queen
Neener Queen

By the way, I find it doubtful that the "lapsed Catholic" program is mandatory. Also if he wanted to, he could attend the RCIA classes with you. My church recommends them for those who want to further explore the Faith. RCIA - it's not just for converts anymore! ::):

You cannot have Jesus as your brother and then reject Mary as your mother. You cannot love His Father as your Father, and then refuse to love His mother.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
I believe their are others here who live with the same cross you do.

Stay and spend some time with us! :)

ImageImage
http://www.distributistreview.com/mag/
Blessed Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko, pray for us!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:42 pm 

Thanks Mule :) I've been approaching religious matters very gently with my BF and now we've been going to mass weekly for the past month. There's a certain way to do it that works and a more aggressive way will make the whole thing blow up and not work. So far, so good. He's doing great. I haven't even brought up Sept when I start RICA what he will do. I'm trusting God will let him know that by then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:19 pm 

I am a lifelong Protestant -- first Southern Baptist, and then Episcopalian for 15 years...drawn to the RCC and converted 2 years ago now....alone...my family is all still Episcopalian and thinks I'm a bit silly for converting....becoming Catholic has been challenging but has slowly but inexorably changed everything for me. My personal life has not become easier...my marriage is in jeopardy, but I am rock-solid that I did the right thing...DDD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:25 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Sacramental Protestant
krackatoa wrote:
Thanks Mule :) I've been approaching religious matters very gently with my BF and now we've been going to mass weekly for the past month. There's a certain way to do it that works and a more aggressive way will make the whole thing blow up and not work. So far, so good. He's doing great. I haven't even brought up Sept when I start RICA what he will do. I'm trusting God will let him know that by then.

Hello :wave I share your "cross" in a way, as I kinda see myself in some of the things you have said. Don't let this opportunity to convert slip, you are not 14 years old anymore :)

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:10 pm 

Thanks drdeatkine (your story is very much like mine as far as denominations) and INsearch for your very true words.

Well, BF and I have been going to mass together every week for over two months now. BF is ready to return to Church/practicing Catholic. I'm going to start RCIA mid-Sept. Things are going well with both of us working on the same things with the same faith. This is better than my prayers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:17 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Sacramental Protestant
krackatoa wrote:
Thanks drdeatkine (your story is very much like mine as far as denominations) and INsearch for your very true words.

Well, BF and I have been going to mass together every week for over two months now. BF is ready to return to Church/practicing Catholic. I'm going to start RCIA mid-Sept. Things are going well with both of us working on the same things with the same faith. This is better than my prayers.

This is great to hear! I will pray that the Lord keep you on this path to His Church! :pray: Tiber swimmer in training ;)

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:59 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
krackatoa wrote:
Things are going well with both of us working on the same things with the same faith. This is better than my prayers.

This is worth more than a dozen college degrees. It's worth more than a winning lotto ticket. :cloud9:

ImageImage
http://www.distributistreview.com/mag/
Blessed Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko, pray for us!