Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hello i am a Lutheran
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:26 am 

Religion: Lutheran
As you can see, i am a Lutheran. I have been in contact with Ray. But i still have so many questions to ask. So, would it be beneficial to get a catechism to find my answers to the Catholic faith.
I am trying to learn and understand it and find it very overwhelming. I don't know if the local parish has time for me to come and ask and ask. So what to do.
My questions are your typical, why all this Mary stuff? Why do you pray the Rosary? Etc.....
Matt

Post subject: Re: Hello i am a Lutheran
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
We are here to help you find answers to your questions. You'll probably find many of the answers you seek by reading previous threads on those topics in the Catholicism forums, but do feel free to add your own thoughts and questions.

I moved your thread into this forum so everyone can meet you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 am 
Majesty
Majesty

According to the following link, Martin Luther had devotion to Mary:

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/ ... cfm?id=788

Welcome to DCF! :wink:

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome to our slice of cyberspace mattman... there are many on this board who will be able to answer any question you have...and like sig says....it's probably been asked and answered many times already ... enjoy your stay :wave

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:25 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Welcome mattman! :wave Lots of people here to help answer your questions. Until you get your own copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, (CCC), here it is on-line!

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM :incense

It's an easy 'click and read' by subject.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

did you forget about the link to the compendium :?:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:36 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave Hi, mattman! Welcome to the board.

Reading the Catholic Catechism would be great, but feel free to ask your questions here in the Catholicism 101 forum.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:44 am 
Majesty
Majesty

faithfulservant wrote:

Here's the link to the Compendium of the Catechism:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/compendiu ... cc_en.html

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:09 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Well met and feel free to ask whatever, we are all learning still and suspect however long one is a Catholic one always will be.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:38 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Welcome. :wave :)

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
lbt wrote:
faithfulservant wrote:

Here's the link to the Compendium of the Catechism:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/compendiu ... cc_en.html

:cloud9:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:58 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

:wave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Eorlingean Catholic
Church Affiliations: KC
Glad to have you here! :wave

ImageImage
http://www.distributistreview.com/mag/
Blessed Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko, pray for us!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
It is good to see you here! You are welcome. :) Many here will be happy to respond to your questions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:53 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
Howdy!

I was thinking about your post this morning and thought of something to say. My wife was Lutheran and converted. Lutherans have more religion than most Protestants, but Catholics still have a lot more religion than Lutherans.

Sometimes I have trouble figuring out how to say what I intend to mean, so try to make it through this next sentence. ::): Instead of thinking that you believe a certain, let's say, 10 things and since we believe X things which are different, that therefore our different beliefs supplant your beliefs in comparison, generally they are in addition to the other beliefs. Mostly we believe in a lot of things that have been taught over the millenia that you don't. As I've heard it said before; Protestantism is a sliding scale of disbelief. Lutherans are further up the scale than say, Cowboy Churchers or Nondenominationalists. Wow that one is a mouthful! Can't even hardly read it.

I generally find that Protestants seem to get tangled up on one or two issues, usually the exact ones you just mentioned- reverence towards St. Mary and praying the rosary, I suggest you find an answer to those questions and move on to other issues. There's just so much more. We have a culture of prayer that you may not see otherwise, and those two aspects are merely the tip of the iceberg. We have thousands of devotions, prayers, *systems* of prayer like the rosary, sacramentals, fasting, all sorts of things that people are free to choose from to find the sort of prayer that helps them worship God in the best way for them.

I only had one thing to say. Sorry it took so long.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:47 am 

Religion: Lutheran
Bombadil wrote:
Howdy!

I was thinking about your post this morning and thought of something to say. My wife was Lutheran and converted. Lutherans have more religion than most Protestants, but Catholics still have a lot more religion than Lutherans.

Sometimes I have trouble figuring out how to say what I intend to mean, so try to make it through this next sentence. ::): Instead of thinking that you believe a certain, let's say, 10 things and since we believe X things which are different, that therefore our different beliefs supplant your beliefs in comparison, generally they are in addition to the other beliefs. Mostly we believe in a lot of things that have been taught over the millenia that you don't. As I've heard it said before; Protestantism is a sliding scale of disbelief. Lutherans are further up the scale than say, Cowboy Churchers or Nondenominationalists. Wow that one is a mouthful! Can't even hardly read it.
Thank you for your advice. Ok so let's start with the biggest issue and work my way through it. Let's talk about Mary. Is this something I need to work one on one with someone to get the proper understandings? Or is there a good book with lots of references to follow? You have to understand that sew are told to use the Bible as our map, so for now could you entertain me and show me Bible references. Thank you.
I am taking a leap in faith this week, I won't to visit the local Eucuristic Adoration, at our local Catholic Church. I thought maybe I can go there and sit and pray and ask God to show me his ways. Do you think that's ok for a non Catholic to do?
Thanks
Matthew
I generally find that Protestants seem to get tangled up on one or two issues, usually the exact ones you just mentioned- reverence towards St. Mary and praying the rosary, I suggest you find an answer to those questions and move on to other issues. There's just so much more. We have a culture of prayer that you may not see otherwise, and those two aspects are merely the tip of the iceberg. We have thousands of devotions, prayers, *systems* of prayer like the rosary, sacramentals, fasting, all sorts of things that people are free to choose from to find the sort of prayer that helps them worship God in the best way for them.

I only had one thing to say. Sorry it took so long.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:30 am 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I cleared this up so people can read it better. I can't get to any answers right now, maybe next week. Sorry. There is a sticky about using the quote function somewhere if you want to look at it.
Bombadil wrote:
Howdy!

The Mattman wrote:

Thank you for your advice. Ok so let's start with the biggest issue and work my way through it. Let's talk about Mary. Is this something I need to work one on one with someone to get the proper understandings? Or is there a good book with lots of references to follow? You have to understand that sew are told to use the Bible as our map, so for now could you entertain me and show me Bible references. Thank you.
I am taking a leap in faith this week, I won't to visit the local Eucuristic Adoration, at our local Catholic Church. I thought maybe I can go there and sit and pray and ask God to show me his ways. Do you think that's ok for a non Catholic to do?
Thanks
Matthew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:16 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
mattman -- You should start with a simpler catechism than the CCC. Something like the Baltimore Catechism. Gives you more of a synopsis of the holy Catholic Religion.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

mattman, there are many books about our Blessed Mother...the one of which i thought most highly was scott hahn's "Hail Holy Queen"

much in the way of scriptural reference in that one.... but here is another site that lends scriptural credence to our Lady

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/blesse ... _mary.html

also, as best i can tell, as has already been pointed out...luther had no problem with any of the teachings and beliefs we hold as Catholicsconcerning Mary

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:50 pm 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
faithfulservant wrote:
mattman, there are many books about our Blessed Mother...the one of which i thought most highly was scott hahn's "Hail Holy Queen"

much in the way of scriptural reference in that one.... but here is another site that lends scriptural credence to our Lady

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/blesse ... _mary.html

also, as best i can tell, as has already been pointed out...luther had no problem with any of the teachings and beliefs we hold as Catholicsconcerning Mary

Mother of the Redeemer, by Pope John Paul II is also a good read.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next