Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Atheist Member
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:30 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
dschiff wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Light of the East: I see your point is that people wouldn't accept Christianity, given a more enjoyable alternative, unless they had go reason. I'd point out that we can extend that to atheism. In Christianity, you are offered a divine protector, a soul, and even immortality, perfect happiness in heaven. In atheism, there is nothing quite so grand - our bodies die, there is no afterlife, and there is no divine purpose. So the sheer unattractiveness of atheism should count in its favor, compared to all the promises offered by Christianity.

But let's leave that for the forums, perhaps?

You're focusing on the nice parts of it...
but what of the consequences if you don't live according to the tenants of Christianity? Those consequences are pretty dire and severe.

Sure, atheism lacks the abstractions that some think make Christians all cheery. But atheism has its allure too: complete submission to the will. Volition being the highest possible value.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 21 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2