Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Intro for veteran DCF posters.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:27 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Hi,

I'm Signum Crucis. I live in South Central Georgia. My husband and I are converts of 8 years. Three of our six children are Catholic, and three of our six grandchildren are Catholic. I have a Southern Baptist/United Methodist background.

This message board was one of the first I found as a new convert, and I owe much to Steve Ray and the members of this board. Without these good people, I would be among that large group of poorly catechized Catholics who make poor witnesses for the Faith. Catholic Answers, EWTN, Mark Shea, Dave Armstrong, and others contributed to my base of knowledge and I will be eternally grateful for that, but it was through this board that I was introduced to these people and sites.

It is my honor to be able to give back to DCF at least a fraction of what I have gained from my membership here.

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:29 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
seems only fitting the top 2 posters should be the first 2 in the introduction forum :wink:

i'm faithfulservant...a convert of 8 years,from a southern baptist background, received into our Lord's Church, by the Grace of God through the intercession of our Loving Mother, on april 11,1998.

i married a cradle Catholic, though for the first 23 years of our married life, we never went to Church. through my conversion, my wife made her first confession in 25 years and we have been faithful members of Prince of Peace parish in houston ever since.

dcf was my first Catholic message board (has it only been 2 years :shock: ) and is still the one i call home though i post infrequently on at least 3 more boards.

i am active in our Eucharistic Adoration ministry at our parish and have been a member of the Legion of Mary for 6 years. i figured it was the least i could do for our Lady because without Her, i would not be Catholic.

i thank dcf and many of the wonderful people who frequent this board for increasing my knowledge of our wonderful faith... i learned more about our Church here than i ever did in RCIA

i am most thankful for our Lady's hand in guiding me to Her Son and into His Church...the last 8 years have been by far the most wonderful i have spent in my journey in this vale of tears... and i look forward each day to see where my Lord will lead me...

[bible]Jeremiah 29:11-14[/bible]
11 For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of affliction, to give you an end and patience.

12 And you shall call upon me, and you shall go. and you shall pray to me, and I will hear you.

13 You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart.

14 And I will be found by you, saith the Lord

[bible]Psalm 46:10[/bible]
Be still and see that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, and I will be exalted in the earth.

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:37 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

The Bible doohickey is disabled right now. It'll be functional again soon.

Siggy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:41 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
yeah, i saw that in another post...and read adam's message... that's why i went ahead and quoted the relevant verses :wink:

ps..post again quick..you're sitting on 666 :shock:

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:11 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:27 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: TOC, KofC
Well, I'm not the third largest poster (unless perhaps if girth is considered) but I'll jump in here.

So - a short intro --

I'm a Cradle Catholic who wondered on a loose leash for more than 25 years. I never doubted the truth of the Catholic Church and that held me at least loosely in the fold.

I was more attracted to Eastern philosophies and things like Astrology for most of my life (starting in High School). I came very close to becoming a professional Astrologer and Astrology teacher at an on-line Astrology academy.

I was known to say that I was a Catholic but not a 'practicing Catholic' because I got it right and didn't need to practice no more.

I also was steeped in personal sin.

After 25 years of floating just within the Church, I had a conversion. My sister-in-law started asking questions of me, theological questions. And for the most part, I had the answer, but I didn't know the 'why' so I was forced to do some research. That lead to finding EWTN and their document library.

I also started back to regular Mass attendance. My wife and I finally registered in a great parish after fleeing one where the liturgical abuse was so blatant that I noticed it without a lot of liturgical background.

We went to a Marian Conference and at that conference I was impelled to Confession. And I do mean 'impelled'. I went looking for a specific priest, but instead got the priest I needed. When I finished that confession, I was a changed man, literally. I had a spiritual healing that was profound.

Since then, I've 'found' that Catholics write books and good books at that and now I'm immersed in my faith and the boundless depths of it.

"For Tolkein, Catholicism was not an opinion to which one subscribed but a reality to which one submitted." J. Pearce in Tolkein: Man and Myth - So I guess I'm in good company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:49 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I'm Dianne. I hail from the Diocese of Rockville Centre which is on Long Island NY. I'm a SAH Mother/Wife. Former RN. 3 Children( 19,17,12)- one in college , one in high school , one in jr high. Married 20 years next month.
I got really serious about the faith 12 years ago. Started reading and studying and then I found it..... (drum roll)... The Internet! There were likeminded Catholics trying to educate themselves and others. Imagine that.But there is also a lot of misinformation out there . I came to DCF to help me fill in the blanks of my faith of which there are so many. One cannot be a practicing Catholic if one does not have a clue about what one is supposed to be practicing. I'm recovering from failed CCD and a family that didn't practice. Its slow and painful at times... but oh so worth it.

Looking forward to writing and reading with everyone here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:32 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hi,
I'm Christine (Tina), a cradle Catholic who got interested in apologetics in the 1980's. I had one of those God experience's where more and more people started saying the ole..."btw..."Your Catholic Aren't You? Could you help me find out about the church?" :shock: UMM! Well!!! ER!!!! :oops: and then I had to actually learn something!

I worked with sponsoring several converts locally and when the net came into being, I got involved in internet Convert mentoring and apologetics in the 1990's.

I am married with three children, three grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Post subject: Re: Intro for veteran DCF posters.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:39 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
Signum Crucis wrote:
Hi,

I'm Signum Crucis. I live in South Central Georgia. My husband and I are converts of 8 years. Three of our six children are Catholic, and three of our six grandchildren are Catholic. I have a Southern Baptist/United Methodist background.

This message board was one of the first I found as a new convert, and I owe much to Steve Ray and the members of this board. Without these good people, I would be among that large group of poorly catechized Catholics who make poor witnesses for the Faith. Catholic Answers, EWTN, Mark Shea, Dave Armstrong, and others contributed to my base of knowledge and I will be eternally grateful for that, but it was through this board that I was introduced to these people and sites.

It is my honor to be able to give back to DCF at least a fraction of what I have gained from my membership here.

Siggy

BC, I think you can take a bow dude! He is a true Catholic Hulkamanic! Also the Tango Kid! Siggy, do you remember the adventures of the Tango Kid?

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:40 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

My name is Randy and I live with my wife in Meridian, Idaho. We don't have any kids yet but hopefully that will change soon. I have been a Catholic all my life and was baptized 25 years ago by my parents as an infant.

I graduated from a local University with a degree in Computer Science and work for a school district in web administration. I also do freelance web programming and development on the side.

I like to hunt (deer, elk, upland game birds) and play sports, especially tennis and basketball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:45 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
Hello! My name is Carole. I live in Florida (Diocese of St. Petersburg). I am a work-at-home/homeschooling mom to my one blessing my 9 year-old daughter.

I have been Catholic for 2 years.

I have been posting here for 5 years.

I came here as a skeptic with questions and an attitude. 5 years later I'm Catholic and thankful to God for leading me here. My husband and my daughter converted also, in large part due to the things I learned here.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:50 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Hey everyone. My name is Chris. I was baptized Methodist and confirmed Presbyterian.

I am 31 years old and live in Pittsburgh, PA with my wife and daughter. I work at Duquesne University and also attend school there.

I became Catholic last month at the Easter vigil. Although I have known for a couple of years that this is where I wanted to be. I am extremely orthodox and try to do the best I can.

I am a Star Wars junkie and a depressed hockey fan. :cry:

Well, enough about me! Welcome to DCF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:53 am 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
I am the Catholic Defender, I fight for the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ and I am prepared to give my life for His cause.

I prefer one on one witnessing and I love group discussions. The Lord has graced me despite my unworthiness, several conversions and miracles none of which I claim credit, it is all the Holy Spirit!

I love a good honest debate and I love to get right in the middle of the issue. I don't like trimming the edges.

I am in the Army and I have served our nation for over 20 years. I'm thankful for my wife GiGi who is the best military wife a guy can have. She loves me!

I am a servant of the Lord and I try to act accordingly. I try to reflect the faith as I try representing this country when I'm on foriegn soil.

I try to be everything for everyone, and I know that is a tall order and I fail alot! I'm thankful for the great majestic Sacraments that gives me courage! I'm thankful for the bible as that is my guidebook to follow, and I'm thankful to the Catholic Church for giving it to me!

I am thankful for Steve Ray and his example and love for the truth! I'm thankful for this board as I consider you family.

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:51 am 
Board Administrator
Board Administrator

I'm Brendan. I'm a crade Catholic. I'm married to a poster here (Theodora) and we have 4 children ages 7y, 5y, 2y and 4 mon.

In what little free time the kids leave me, I am in formation to be Ordained a Deacon in the Archdiocese of Detroit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:30 pm 

I'm a cradle Catholic, but my mother converted from Presbyterian. I went to Catholic school in the Pre-Vatican II days when nuns wore full habits. I learned from the Baltimore Catechism. I learned a lot about my faith, but when I went to public high school, my faith got pushed to the back burner. In senior year the Lord led me back to an active faith (by way of a Jack Chick tract, no less). In college, my walk with the Lord grew. Although the loss of my brother plunged me into a deep depression, in my mid-twenties, again, the Lord was solicitous, and never left me. Although my strength didn't return for another 15 years, the trials made me stronger than ever.

A modern day Shunamite woman. (2 Kgs. 4:26)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

My name's Paul, I'm 19, and a cradle Catholic. Heading to the Franciscan University of Steubenville this fall as a sophomore, I'm transferring in from community college. I run an apologetics website at www.catholic-cadet.com. Eventually you'll all address me as Emperor :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:51 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

lbt are my initials.

I was baptized as a baby at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My late grandmother and I took the ship Queen Mary to Europe in 1950. We were privileged to meet late Sister Lucy of Fatima at Coimbra Portugal, Saint Padre Pio of Pietrelcina at San Giovanni Rotondo Italy, and a special audience with Pope Pius XII. Sister Lucy, who saw Our Lady of Fatima in 1917, passed away on February 13 this year, almost 98 years old. Padre Pio was well known as a Franciscan priest who had stigmata. Pope Pius XII was a very holy man.

In 1970, I went around the world. Countries I visited included Hawaii, Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Nepal, India, Holy Land, Italy, and Portugal. I still remember the shrine of Our Lady of La Vang, where she appeared to comfort Vietnamese people in 1798 (more than 200 years ago).

I took classes under Steve Ray on the Gospel of St. John and the Acts of the Apostles. He is a great talker.

If you know the Message of Fatima, you would keep your faith.

I am multi-lingual. Don't be surprised if I can easily read Latin as well as French, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, etc.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:27 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I am a <half> convert. Was baptized as an infant, but not raised in the Church. When I was around eleven years old (a long time ago ::): ), I went to Mass for the first time (don't ask me why) and realized that the Jesus I had learned about in Sunday School was really present. After that, I received my First Communion, made my First Confession and was confirmed - all in a year and a half.

I am a retired teacher and now live in the Dominican Republic where I work as a lay missionary - teaching English to seminarians and priests, fundraising for the construction fund for our new seminary (yes, we have THAT many vocations), coordinating assistance from English speaking donors and serving as Chairman of the Board of Directors of a home for disabled children here.

Before I moved to the DR, I worked as a catechist for RCIA for over fifteen years. I also did some graduate study in theology. My online time is limited, not only because of time committments but also because power failures are an everyday happening here - and when "no hay luz" I cannot get online.

Come to me all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:47 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Hi my name is Anastasios. I have been an occasional poster here since 1999, but my low posting volume means I am usually one of the nameless people in the crowd here ;)

I was born Lutheran and in 1998 joined the Catholic Church via the Byzantine Catholic Church. A few years later I began to struggle with the differences between Catholicism and the Orthodox Church and embraced Orthodoxy a few years back.

I still post on Catholic boards because I appreciate everything the Catholic Church did for me in forming me as a Christian person, such as charity, respect for the poor, love, etc. I pray for the reunion of the two churches (as long as it is based on truth and not false ecumenism) and I also have made some acquaintences on this board that I like to keep up with by posting. Usually though I restrict my posting to threads that are created by others that touch on Eastern Church issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:24 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Cradle Catholic Maximus! :bring

Baptised 41.5 years ago. Altar boy (with the paten and rail). Confirmed in 1977 by Cardinal Manning. Contemplated entering seminary high school only to be denied by my mother who later told me she was concerned about young boys living with priests in dormitories. :shock: Attended high school run by Holy Cross brothers. One year we outlined the Bible cover to cover another year we spent on early church history. The rest of the time on a bunch of morality buisness. Attended a Jesuit College where one of the first priests I met freshman year was at an off campus kegger. :wootsign

College and the years before I was married I was a lack luster Catholic as Monsignor at my family parish foretold our entire eighth grade class. Was married almost 15 years ago at the parish that was Cardinal Manning's retirement residence. My Cradle Catholic wife and I now have 4 children ages 14 yrs to 15 months. with two in Catholic schools.

I had fun being the only non fallen away Catholic at several Promise Keepers events. Hank Hanegraaff's Bible answerman show was the only religious program on around here and he drove me to google out Sungenis' Not By Series which landed me at DCF sometime in 99/00; via a Steve Ray interview on Catholic Answers. My tour of duty includes board time at CARM, JIL & FCFC.

Since, I have my own Catholic website (linked in my profile), have served on Parish Council, Knights of Columbus 3rd degree, PTO VP for the parish School, currently a Lector and served on several building fund boards for Catholic Parishes and Schools. I have one pilgrimage to Italyunder my belt and a trip to Spain.

I have been known as Soferim and Non Sum Dignus on other boards. May be time for a Moniker change. :wink:

Lord have mercy on me,
Ted

It is likewise impossible to decide in favor of Trent and Vatican I, but against Vatican II. Whoever denies Vatican II denies the authority that upholds the other two councils and thereby detaches them from their foundation. And this applies to the so-called ‘traditionalism’, also in its extreme forms. The Ratzinger Report - 1985

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next