Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:44 pm 
4-H Superstar
4-H Superstar

Religion: Catholic
Believer, please pm an administrator or moderator to see if you can go to the apologetics forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:43 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
but don't hold your breath... as a CAtholic, you need a minimum number of posts to get in... unless of course, you've got clout, pull, or a strong recommendation going for you from somewhere

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:29 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Just buzzing through the thread here--notice Doom's intro. Is that mjt? Is he gone now? (Though someone said something recently on another thread about wishing Doom were here.)

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:48 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

in best arnold impression

"he'll be back" ... taking time off for lent... and yes..that is mjt

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 pm 
Apostle of Iraq
Apostle of Iraq

Church Affiliations: 4th degree Knight of Columbus
faithfulservant wrote:
in best arnold impression

"he'll be back" ... taking time off for lent... and yes..that is mjt

I prefer your Elmore Fudd impression!!!

*NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL* http://www.youtube.com/defendercatholic *NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL*
http://catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.html
Ephesians 6:10-17
1 Timothy 3:15

Post subject: Holiness and Theosis
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm 
Defender
Defender

Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
I've been contributing to these boards and reading them for several years. I have given my testimony before but this time I'd like to give it from the middle, sort of...

During the process of being interviewed to become an Elder in the Church of the Nazarene I asked the question that was most pressing upon my heart then as it is now. "The distinctive emphasis of the Church of the Nazarene is holiness of heart and life. Yet, it seems we are coming to lessen that emphasis in favor of Baptist style evangelism. Are my perceptions correct?" Little that my inquisitors said assuaged my concern and eventually I abandoned the pursuit and became a United Methodist. I had just moved to Kansas City, Mo. and was falling in love with the UMC in which I was serving that did seem to emphasise holiness more than the Nazarenes I had known.

Holiness as I know it is not legalism but rather it is transformation into the likeness of Christ. If Christ within through the power of the Holy Spirit would not touch a thing I would not because more and more my likeness was becoming Him though I readily admit much was being changed. If Christ marched into a particular hell I was learning to do the same. I was learning to be gentle with the humble and a terror to the proud. Whenever I was frightened to confront pride eithe in my own life or in anothers I knew it was either because I needed to wait or I needed to confront my unholy fear and surrender it to Christ. That fear was not based in perfect love.

Though frightened nearly out of my mind to confront the evils of my UMC bishop and the fear of losing the only career I knew the Lord led me to wrestle with Him until I conformed to His will.

Each of us must do the same if we are to "follow peace with all and holiness without which no one will see the Lord." When, for example, Bishop Sprague volunteered to publish an article that upheld the truth of the Trinity and of the dual natures of Christ I knew that he would do it but I also knew that his faith only extended to a "traditional metaphor" about God not to God Himself because I had had many conversations with him. I simply thanked him and knew that I could go no further. His path was going one way. Mine another. No condemnation, just a realization that my Lord and I were on a journey together.

St. John Climacus illustrates this in his Ladder of Ascent which we are all encouraged to follow in our lives and especially to reacquaint ourselves druing the Great Fast of Lent. I offer it here because many of you are on that ladder with me.

http://www.serfes.org/orthodox/divine.htm

Carson Daniel Lauffer

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:40 pm 
Defender
Defender

"God became man that we might become God." St. Athanasius

The Athanasian quote you used was first uttered, so far as I know, by St. Irenaeus. It is rendered in a few different ways but has the meaning of God becoming man, becoming who we are as created beings, as Adam, so that we might become God, become God as Jesus Christ is God. It means that our holiness continures throughout eternity. Heaven isn't boring because we will become more and more God.

St. John said it this way, "John 1:13 (New King James Version)
13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

St. Peter writes of us participating in the life of God.

This morning we learned that a practice of the ancient Church has brought suffering to the Bride of Christ. Just as the Church has always done we leave the Church doors open. Thus the Incarnation of Christ is real in the practice of the Church. The door to heaven has been opened by the Incarnation of Christ so that all who are called may enter for prayer. The mystical oneness of Christ and His Church are ever shown to all. Someone desecrated the Bride on Wednesday evening by robbing her of some beautiful and expensive icons. Father is very angry with such desecration and he asks us all to join him using the eeapons our lord has given us. He asked us to pray that this desecration lead the robbers to conversion.

Holiness brings about the mystical reality, the really real, into life.

The biggest difference I've seen in the approach to holiness or divine reality in my former experiences and now is that in the Protestantism that I knew we were challenged to try to make heaven conform to our reality. Now we are drawn by God into His.

That is holiness, That is Theosis. The classical definition of Theosis is to become God by adoption.

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:03 pm 
Defender
Defender

I've often reflected upon the fact that I was frightened at challenging the bishop and what it meant for my walk of holiness.

Yes, I was frightened of the unknown. After prayer I realized that it was only unknown to me. God knew all about it.

Yes, I was frightened of losing my income. My younger son had not yet finished high school and we were not ready to retire. Then I realized God would take care of everthing even as He always had.

Yes, I was frightened of losing my vocation. But then I realized that my vocation was not the same as my career and so I pressed ahead.

Yes, I was frightened that I may be wrong to challenge a bishop even if I was right about the content of my challenge. Then I realized that a rightful bishop is only rightfully a bishop if he defends and promotes the truth. So the Lord gave me confidence to move ahead.

Yes, I was frightened to do this thing almost all alone. I knew the truth of the saying "He who is saved is saved in community. He who is lost is lost alone." But I knew I was not alone even if most were opposed to what I intended to do.

It does seem that each of us must wrestle with God alone if we are to be saved in this world.

Again the icon of the "Ladder of Divine Ascent" reminds us that we need help from spiritual fathers to keep climbing up the proper ladder. Not only must we struggle with our own demons but there are plenty flitting about who are eager to knock us off of the ladder completely.

CDL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:30 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
I am Michael Joseph Peter O'Grady. I am a mean miserable know-it-all who likes to jump all over everybody for making doctrinal errors. If you tell me to shut-up, I will, and then I will go and bug somebody else. I am old, over-weight, and I drink too much. And, no, I am not interested in dating.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:39 am 

Church Affiliations: OblSB
Oh, shut up.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:44 am 
Honeymoon King
Honeymoon King

Religion: One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree K of C, L of M
gherkin wrote:
Oh, shut up.

Ok. Where's Doom? I'm going to go and bug him.

Judas Iscariot is the patron saint of Social Justice. Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

A logistics problem should be handled with a logistical solution, not a liturgical one.

Holy Mary, Queen of the Martyrs, Pray for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:44 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

My name is William Eunice. I am the husband of one fabulous wife and the father of three children and one in the womb. I am not a famous apologist or author. I am not even educated in theology, psychology, journalism or English. You have no reason to trust anything that I say. I am a husband and father by vocation so that qualifies me to tell you the fastest way to change a diaper with one hand while fixing a bottle with the other. Just know, it takes practice and it can be done in under 15 seconds on a good night. I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science from Louisiana Tech that I earned in 1997 after a five and a half year stint as a professional college student. My career has been a very interesting and fulfilling path that only God could have orchestrated. I am very thankful for it.

I am partially responsible for EarlyChurchFathers.org (along with RJ and others). I also maintain Full Circle which is my blog to vent about things of interest to me because nobody seems to listen to me when I talk about these things in actual conversation. My interests include an overwhelming love for the Jesus Christ and His Holy Catholic Church, sports, particularly football and college athletics, electroinic devices, computers and other typically nerdy things like tropical fish and really old video games. I grew up during the 80's and early 90's so I like Coca Cola shirts, cheesy synth pop, waver hair, Atari, Nintendo and other total wastes of time.

I am a glowing product of the publik skool systum where I succesfully managed to avoid excessive persecution from my peers for the duration of my institutional life. Most employers would hire me based on that accomplishment alone as it might demonstrate that I have excellent people skills. Actually, I am just really good at hiding. My Keirsey Temperament thingie is INFP in which hiding from others is a significant component. The "IN" means Invisible.

I wrote an essay about my reception into the church titled Easter Vigil Experience that several people liked. Other than that I don't pipe up very much .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:59 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I'm James. I've been here for just a little while.

I'm a cradle Catholic from the East Coast of the United States. I have fallen away from the faith and returned to it a couple of times.

I now know too much to ever have any real doubts that the Catholic Church is Christ's one true Church again.

I'm 27 years old, I love my Lord Jesus and I love His people, that is...ALL the people of God, and I LOVE to defend my faith.

I'll answer any question or challenge to my faith that I can, and if I can't, I'll send you to someone else...there are PLENTY of able and willing people on this board in that regard!

Have fun, and roll up your sleeves :)

God bless,
James

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:07 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

dolt ..scroll up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:13 am 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

weunice wrote:
dolt ..scroll up

Isn't it funny that you chose this month to post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:17 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

getting on up there in brain age huh weunice :wink:

last year's was remarkably similar... you must be incredibly consistent or have it pretty well memorized :P

De Maria numquam satis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:53 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

SIGGY!!

You didn't forget me!

It has been a couple of years since I came by. I could not figure out how to get around on the board...so I gave up. I never heard from you by email so I thought you had forgotten me...l :cry:

I am so NOT getting along with this format.

Anyway, I am going to try and figure this out, this time! Hopefully I can become a little more savvy with the board you guys have here. The other was good for the simple minded such as myself. ::):

How does one get on the debate boards? I am currently in face to face combat with an ex, now anti Catholic. Let's just say it is ALOT OF FUN!! HEHE Am I awnry or WHAT??!

Well, so much has happend in all these years. I did get a look at your family pic Sig. Your family is growing and ever so beautiful. I am so happy you. Family is precious. It saddens me to think of all the women giving it up for what the world tells them is happiness (which generally does not coincide with motherhood).

Sig it is good to see you again. BTW, do you remember the regular, monicatherese...heavy sigh, now I am not sure if that was her name. She was a gentle soul, called herself a pacifist? Just a beautiful lady. Her husband was chronically ill...??

Well, I'll close for now and check back in some other time.

Your Catholic Sister in Christ Jesus,
Michele

"God is good all the time."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:30 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

HEY, girl! No, I didn't forget you! My email account got wiped out a couple of years ago. Sorry. :oops: I lost several other contacts from way back.

I'll add you to the debate boards. Put on your sparring gear. :D

I have a bunch of grandkids now. Six with one on the way.

Once you get used to it, the board is easy to navigate.

It's great to see you!

:cloud9:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:18 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Siggy,

Congratulations! SIX grandkids!!!

I have ONE and am loving it. She is adorable. I'll have to figure out how to do the pics on here, I tried a little yesturday but I think the pictures were too big.

Today I have to study up before meeting with an ex, now Anti Catholic. So, Please, Pray for me...they can be so nasty some times. OY!

Thanks for the access to the apologetics board, would you say that is the liveliest?

Does Mark (Shea) come in anymore? I'll never forget when I began this passion of apologetics he was always like a big brother to me (although I am sure he is much younger than I, :)).

Anyway, good times on Steve's board.

So happy to be back.

Peace be with you and see you soon.

Your sister in Christ Jesus,

Michele

P.s. I noticed a women on this board, named Carole. If I remember correctly, she was here when I was. I think she was on CARM a lot...could this be the same Carole?

See you soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:41 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I could use some help in identifying old-timers who have changed their names. :?

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 4   [ 63 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next