Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hi everyone!
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 am 

Religion: Roman Catholic
So, this is my first post. I'm excited to have come accross this site :) I came here because well, I feel rather alone in my faith.. Cliff notes version of my story:

For about 7 years (starting at 15) I went through a very tough religious search. I ended up giving up after a while, and being labelled as 'atheist' by my friends, which was fine with me then. I'm a very spiritual person, which is why I kept exploring spirituality, but had such a huge blindfold on that I couldn't link it to God. About a year and a half ago, I met a wonderful American guy who was living here in Peru as a volunteer with the Capuchin Franciscan Corps, and he showed me a completely different perspective of God and of life. I was able to see that through all the time that I had experienced 'spirituality' what I had been feeling was God's presence in my life. Needless to say, this guy and I are together now :P (We have been for over a year!) He really changed my life and I love him more than I can say. However...finding God meant losing friends. I don't know any hardcore Catholics here, not even regular Catholics...or even religious people at all! Since the Easter Triduum last year, there was a major change in all my friendships because suddenly I just couldn't talk to my friends anymore. I feel uncomfortable with some of the things they talk about, and they just don't get the joys and struggles that come along with being a Catholic. It's been a year, but it still hurts that no one but my boyfriend, a couple of other friends who were volunteers with him here, and the priests I go to Confession with are the only ones that get me.

So, that's my story! Like I said, I'm excited to be here :) I'm going to be doing my Confirmation at the end of May, and it feels wonderful to finally make my decision to be a Warrior of Christ OFFICIAL :D

Thanks for taking the time to read! Looking forward to getting to know all of you and of learning from and giving what I can to this community. Much love, peace and blessings to all!

Post subject: Re: Hi everyone!
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:51 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
:wave Hi, lauralh4! Welcome to the board and back to the Church! I enjoyed reading your story; thanks for sharing it.

"Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:11 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
welcome home :cloud9: ... and to our little slice of cyberspace... enjoy your stay 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Welcome! I've a friend who is a very faithful Catholic woman and is from Peru.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:47 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Welcome lauralh4! :) Thank you for sharing your story!

I know a priest in the area here who goes to Peru on mission trips.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Hi, lauralh, welcome to the board! :wave

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:25 pm 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! PS Cool to know that some of you know someone in/who comes to Peru :)

Blessings to you all!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
I've been wanting to visit Peru forever! Please can I come! haha.

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:10 pm 

By all means! We could use some more good Catholics around here :P

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Your English is very good! I know a few people from Peru who only know Spanish how did you learn!

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 am 

Thanks! :) Gotta thank my British school for that. It's basically a type of school that, even though it's in Lima, everything is taught in English by native speakers (most of them British...it was interesting trying to figure out my Scottish teacher's accents! Hehe) So I grew up in that system, since I was 3 until I was 18. Oh...and I guess I keep on practicing because my boyfriend is American, so yeah :P

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

lauralh4 wrote:
Thanks! :) Gotta thank my British school for that. It's basically a type of school that, even though it's in Lima, everything is taught in English by native speakers (most of them British...it was interesting trying to figure out my Scottish teacher's accents! Hehe) So I grew up in that system, since I was 3 until I was 18. Oh...and I guess I keep on practicing because my boyfriend is American, so yeah :P

What made him come to Peru? And hey, I think if he's going to go to your country, he needs to learn Spanish, not you English! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:14 am 

Dominus Vobiscum wrote:
What made him come to Peru? And hey, I think if he's going to go to your country, he needs to learn Spanish, not you English! :)

Oh he speaks Spanish fluently! In fact, given that he worked with adolescents (15ish year old boys), I think he knows far more slang than I do :P I guess I started talking to him in English when we first met and it kinda just stayed like that (though we do mutilate both languages and start speaking in 'Spanglish' sometimes).

He came here as a volunteer with the Capuchin Franciscan Volunteer Corps and lived here for a year and a half. Now he's back in the States to go to grad school (Masters of Divinity)...though he's coming back in 2 weeks for my Confirmation! So yup, very happy both about him coming here and about my Confirmation! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:41 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Welcome! Nice to meet you, and thanks for sharing your story!

And don't worry too much about those friends...you'll have friends!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:28 am 
Master
Master

Welcome to the forum. :)