Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 14   [ 279 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-fi
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:04 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
:cloud9:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:55 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
GKC wrote:
Pepsuber wrote:
Thanks for the Weber recommendation by the way -- working my way through On Basilisk Station now. Also downloaded The Honor of the Queen. Both were free. :cloud9:

Glad you like her. She gets better, steadily.

OK, I am working on the third book in the series now -- The Short Victorious War. (As an aside, I found even more stuff for free thanks to Baen Books and their policy of binding redistributable CDs into their books - http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ for those who like to read at their computers or who have e-readers.) I have to say that, while I like the tech and the battles are fun, Weber's propensity for overturning gender roles gets old fast. Not so annoying that I don't want to read any more of his stuff, but tiresome nonetheless.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pepsuber wrote:
GKC wrote:
Pepsuber wrote:
Thanks for the Weber recommendation by the way -- working my way through On Basilisk Station now. Also downloaded The Honor of the Queen. Both were free. :cloud9:

Glad you like her. She gets better, steadily.

OK, I am working on the third book in the series now -- The Short Victorious War. (As an aside, I found even more stuff for free thanks to Baen Books and their policy of binding redistributable CDs into their books - http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ for those who like to read at their computers or who have e-readers.) I have to say that, while I like the tech and the battles are fun, Weber's propensity for overturning gender roles gets old fast. Not so annoying that I don't want to read any more of his stuff, but tiresome nonetheless.

I meant to mention that. I've never opened one of mine, but they are nifty little things. Might have to get one from my spares and try it.

Nonsense. We love our Honor. Just accept that the gender roles in that time, are not what ours are. At least in Manticore/Haven and similar societies. Works for me and I'm as conservative as you will find, on this page, anyway. Also, it plays out well in several plot lines and plot twists you might come across later.

Me, I like the tech and the battles and the social structures, and the personalities and the tree cats and my polo shirt with the emblem of the Royal Manticorean Navy on it.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:36 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
Just accept that the gender roles in that time, are not what ours are. At least in Manticore/Haven and similar societies.

I think that the chief stumbling block for me in "just accepting" is that the characters in the books -- at least thus far -- can't be quite so accepting. When I read the dreaded b-word (bigotry), my eyes glaze over and my brain shuts off.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:49 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pepsuber wrote:
GKC wrote:
Just accept that the gender roles in that time, are not what ours are. At least in Manticore/Haven and similar societies.

I think that the chief stumbling block for me in "just accepting" is that the characters in the books -- at least thus far -- can't be quite so accepting. When I read the dreaded b-word (bigotry), my eyes glaze over and my brain shuts off.

Are you looking at Grayson characters? Not all the planetary societies are the same. Grayson will learn. Some one will teach them.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:20 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
Are you looking at Grayson characters? Not all the planetary societies are the same. Grayson will learn. Some one will teach them.

Haha, no, I was thinking of Honor's reaction to Grayson society.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:24 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pepsuber wrote:
GKC wrote:

Haha, no, I was thinking of Honor's reaction to Grayson society.

Wait until you see Grayson's eventual reaction to Honor.

GKC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:48 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
So, have any of you read Hyperion by Dan Simmons?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:51 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Ivar the Nut wrote:
So, have any of you read Hyperion by Dan Simmons?

Yes.

GKC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Is it good?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:36 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Ivar the Nut wrote:
Is it good?

I thought the 4 volume set of novels was good, without being outstanding. I might read it again. Certainly worth reading once. You'll need to read at least HYPERION and THE FALL OF HYPERION.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:26 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Re: Weber - Yes, he is a good writer and the battles are especially good. So, for that matter, is the political intrigue. But he's excessively wordy when Harrington gets introspective (which is quite often). And he never fails to remind the reader that she drinks cocoa and not coffee. Of course, he has sold lots and lots of books, and gives a lot away for free, so take my criticism for what it's worth. :)

Does Harrington ever battle against a female villain? I realize that there are female antagonists (Admiral Hemphill, for example) as well as pawns (Peep officers), but though four books I've not yet encountered a female villain. It stands to reason that if women are as capable as men that they will be found among the villains as well as among the heroes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:41 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Pepsuber wrote:
Re: Weber - Yes, he is a good writer and the battles are especially good. So, for that matter, is the political intrigue. But he's excessively wordy when Harrington gets introspective (which is quite often). And he never fails to remind the reader that she drinks cocoa and not coffee. Of course, he has sold lots and lots of books, and gives a lot away for free, so take my criticism for what it's worth. :)

Does Harrington ever battle against a female villain? I realize that there are female antagonists (Admiral Hemphill, for example) as well as pawns (Peep officers), but though four books I've not yet encountered a female villain. It stands to reason that if women are as capable as men that they will be found among the villains as well as among the heroes.

Criticism? I see no criticism. Honor has a lot to think about. Much of this will connect up, over the time line.

Honor drinks cocoa. And practices coup de vitesse. And is proficient with the M1911. Some of these things are casting shadows. Some are merely personalty; Let's be about it.

And tree cats eat celery, as you will hear more than once. One cannot assume a reader is a reader of the entire line. Things must be repeated. Also (but not necessarily here), David is often planting seeds. He told me, many years ago, that he had the plot line essentially laid out, before he wrote the first book.

You will find female villains amongst the Havenite elite. And female idiots amongst the Manticoran elite. But The Salamander, as a line officer, will usually, at this stage of her career, meet her uniformed counterparts.

Keep going. We love our Honor.

You have now done BASILISK STATION, HONOR OF THE QUEEN, SHORT VICTORIOUS WAR and FIELD OF DISHONOR, yes? You ain't seen intrigue, yet.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:27 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: St Joesph
I've been reading some Sci-fi books that some of my favorite movies are based on (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Minority Report, etc). Can anyone recommend any good fun sci-fi books that are more recent and that isn't offensive to our faith. I'm a big fan of the old James Cameron movies and I'm also a big comic book geek. So anything along those lines.

She is the highest woman and the noblest gem in Christianity after Christ . . . She is nobility, wisdom, and holiness personified. We can never honor her enough. Still honor and praise must be given to her in such a way as to injure neither Christ nor the Scriptures. -Martin Luther, Christmas 1531

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:22 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Cajun_Catholic_Guy wrote:
I've been reading some Sci-fi books that some of my favorite movies are based on (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Minority Report, etc). Can anyone recommend any good fun sci-fi books that are more recent and that isn't offensive to our faith. I'm a big fan of the old James Cameron movies and I'm also a big comic book geek. So anything along those lines.

Since my SF tastes are not along the Dick/Cameron lines, beware.

David Weber, John Ringo/MARCH UPCOUNTRY/MARCH TO THE SEA/MARCH TO THE STARS. Anabasis in space

David Weber/THE APOCOLYPSE TROLL. USN vs UFOs

Niven, Pournelle, Barnes/LEGACY OF HEOROT and BEOWULF'S CHILDREN. Bad things happen to colonists on a far planet.

Harry Turtledove/The WORLDWAR SERIES (4 titles). WWII is interrupted by alien lizard invaders. Everybody fights.

Jack McDevitt/ENGINES OF GOD. Lots of Big Strange Things all over the Galaxy. Who made them and why? What does it all mean?

Jack McDevitt/MOONFALL. The moon is going to fall and crush us. A relative of mine saves the earth.

Yes, I like a little military mixed into my SF. What I'd really recommend is the David Weber Honor Harrington series, but it's long. My wife is searching through my books for the two she hasn't read yet.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:21 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
Cajun_Catholic_Guy
I see you like books that have become movies:
1. "Children of Men" P.D. James (the book is way better than the movie)
2. "Planet of the Apes" Pierre Boulle (again the book is better - but very short).

You also like Dystopian so:
1. "Jennifer Government" by Max Barry

You clearly like Philip Dick so this novelisation of a Dick like movie ticks all your boxes:
1. Existenz
http://www.amazon.com/eXistenZ-Noveliza ... 0061020273
(I've not yet read it and reviewers don't seem to like it - still it might be worth giving it a go)

For comic novels, clearly, by a 100 miles, it has to be V for Vendetta (Alan Moore). Those Guy falkes masks are literally in every demostration from Cairo to London.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/V-Vendetta-Alan ... 1852862912

I have some more:

"12 monkeys" Elizabeth Hand
"Never Let Me Go" Kazuo Ishiguro
"The Road" Cormac McCarthy
"Blindness" Jose Saramago

Last edited by Netcurtains3 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:58 am 

Religion: not sure
I don't know if anybody has already mentioned Dune. I've been reading them recently for the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:07 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: St Joesph
Netcurtains3 wrote:
Cajun_Catholic_Guy

2. "Planet of the Apes" Pierre Boulle (again the book is better - but very short).

Wasn't this book originally called Monkey World or something?

She is the highest woman and the noblest gem in Christianity after Christ . . . She is nobility, wisdom, and holiness personified. We can never honor her enough. Still honor and praise must be given to her in such a way as to injure neither Christ nor the Scriptures. -Martin Luther, Christmas 1531

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:57 am 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
Cajun_Catholic_Guy,
The original title was French - I can't unfortunately read French.

Monkey would be a bad title - the Apes would need to be "big" at least as big as a man
for the story to work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:18 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Netcurtains3 wrote:
Cajun_Catholic_Guy,
The original title was French - I can't unfortunately read French.

Monkey would be a bad title - the Apes would need to be "big" at least as big as a man
for the story to work.

The title is La Planète des singes (I have the book in French). Literally that means the Planet of the Monkeys.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 14   [ 279 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next