Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 11 of 14   [ 271 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-fi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
I haven't seen I, Robot, or Bicentennial Man, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Starship Troopers....and I cannot imagine I would watch a Foundation movie if it was made...

I, Robot didn't actually have anything to do with the book, aside from its title and the fact that there was a character named Susan Calvin.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
As far as Vonnegut is concerned, I don't know that I would put him in the sci-fi category. I did enjoy Cat's Cradle, Player Piano, and Slaughterhouse-Five, but not really much else. Faux autobiographies get old fast. And I can't believe a satire as ham-fisted as "Harrison Bergeron" would ever get any attention.

I had precisely, exactly and nearly simultaneously the same reaction to CAT'S CRADLE as I did to STIGMATA. As to the others, recall my last smiley, above.

"Harrison" I liked.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:36 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
Agreed. It is not movie material at all as it is. It's not even a single story! I don't think a movie that's a series of brief vignettes would work at all.

It can, as movies like M*A*S*H and A Christmas Story prove, but it is very difficult to do...

I don't think that's quite the same because Foundation's vignettes would have completely different characters.

Apparently Harlon Ellison's script for I, Robot took something of this approach -- the individual stories were told as Susan Calvin's flashbacks. That could have been kind of cool.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:40 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
If I had to choose, it would probably be Foundation. There aren't many more SF books I can pick up, open to a random page, and start reading.

Sounds good to me.

When I wrote this I had forgotten about That Hideous Strength, insofar as that might be called a sci-fi novel. That is up there close to the top as well. So, for that matter, is Out of the Silent Planet (I didn't think Perelandra was up to the standard set by the others).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:47 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
Niven's RINGWORLD

I'm pretty sure Ringworld was the first book I read by Niven but overall I think I prefer Protector. The former gets bogged down in the middle. YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:11 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:
Niven's RINGWORLD

I'm pretty sure Ringworld was the first book I read by Niven but overall I think I prefer Protector. The former gets bogged down in the middle. YMMV.

I like the image of the Ringworld.

But nothing wrong with any Known Space stuff.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:15 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
If I had to choose, it would probably be Foundation. There aren't many more SF books I can pick up, open to a random page, and start reading.

Sounds good to me.

When I wrote this I had forgotten about That Hideous Strength, insofar as that might be called a sci-fi novel. That is up there close to the top as well. So, for that matter, is Out of the Silent Planet (I didn't think Perelandra was up to the standard set by the others).

I deliberately excluded it. But it is my favorite Lewis fiction, which I sort of set apart as a unique category. Like LOTR, with respect to heroic fantasy

As I may have said, PERELANDRA was Lewis' 2nd favorite of his fiction titles, after TILL WE HAVE FACES.

GKC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:18 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
I deliberately excluded it. But it is my favorite Lewis fiction, which I sort of set apart as a unique category. Like LOTR, with respect to heroic fantasy

Agreed.

That Hideous Strength is probably closer to fantasy than to sci-fi if one had to categorize it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:35 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:

Agreed.

That Hideous Strength is probably closer to fantasy than to sci-fi if one had to categorize it.

D'accord.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:43 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I suppose one could make the case for a dystopian kind of sci-fi. But its connections to fantasy are more solid. I think Ransom is a "type" of Aslan (it is mentioned that he looks like a lion and he has authority over animals), there is a reference to "Numinor," and, of course, there is the connection to mythic England.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:30 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
I suppose one could make the case for a dystopian kind of sci-fi. But its connections to fantasy are more solid. I think Ransom is a "type" of Aslan (it is mentioned that he looks like a lion and he has authority over animals), there is a reference to "Numinor," and, of course, there is the connection to mythic England.

My antipathy for near-term dystopias doesn't stir, so I agree.

I agree, as to Ransom. His name (once Lewis had decided whether it was a pseudonym or not), suggests the relationship, though etymologically it was not related to the English word. But he is also the Fisher King (as in his alias) and the Pendragon of Logres, the True Land under the "Britain" of the N.I.C.E. And, in origin, a touch of Lewis and much of Tolkien is present.

You ever read THE TORTURED PLANET?

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:

No. I think I had heard of it before, now that I think about it, but decided it wasn't worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:

No. I think I had heard of it before, now that I think about it, but decided it wasn't worth it.

It's a curiosity.

When I was in the rare book business, I had a Lewis collector customer whose collection was really superb, including many papers never reprinted in books. His mother had corresponded with Lewis after WWII and he had the letters.

He wanted me to find a copy of TP. And I never could convince him it was an abridgement of THS.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Ah, well, that was before the interwebs, I assume, when anyone could just look it up and see a picture of the cover which specifically says that it's an abridged version of THS.

I'm not much of a collector (if I were, I would insist on paper copies of everything), so I don't concern myself with curiosities like that. If there were new material hidden in there somewhere, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:07 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
Ah, well, that was before the interwebs, I assume, when anyone could just look it up and see a picture of the cover which specifically says that it's an abridged version of THS.

I'm not much of a collector (if I were, I would insist on paper copies of everything), so I don't concern myself with curiosities like that. If there were new material hidden in there somewhere, maybe.

The internet was a mere babe at the time. Its maturity put the sort of book service I worked with out of business.

I'm much of a collector. Got 2 copies. Along with the 1944 Avon pb of PERELANDRA and the 1948 AVON pb of OOTSP.

And the Ace LOTR, too.

GKC, collector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
And the Ace LOTR, too.

Mmmm ... unauthorized.

I used to collect role-playing games in a small way but the hobby just took up too much room in my little house.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:
And the Ace LOTR, too.

Mmmm ... unauthorized.

I used to collect role-playing games in a small way but the hobby just took up too much room in my little house.

Yep, Ace was unauthorized. Which was unknown when I first saw a review of the books, in NATIONAL REVIEW, around 1965, and then saw a copy of RETURN (Ace) at the newsstand. Which I bought and read. And then saw a copy of the Ace TWO TOWERS, same place, and read it, next. By the time I finally found a copy of FELLOWSHIP, the whole unauthorized Ace thing was in the open, and the Ballentine was what I bought.

Eventually, around 1984, I found the Ace FELLOWSHIP in a used bookstore and bought it to complete my set.

Which is the story I've told before, of how I first read the three books in reverse order.

If by role playing, you mean the Middle Earth CCG system, from Iron Crown Enterprises, as it was sold around 15 years ago, I and my daughter and SIL bought a ton of the cards. I still have an unopened box of booster packs for one of the games, somewhere. But what we really enjoyed was getting original sketches and artwork the cards were made from, through meeting the artists at cons. My hobbies take up too much room, too.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:50 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

[quote="GKC"If by role playing, you mean the Middle Earth CCG system, from Iron Crown Enterprises, as it was sold around 15 years ago, I and my daughter and SIL bought a ton of the cards. I still have an unopened box of booster packs for one of the games, somewhere. But what we really enjoyed was getting original sketches and artwork the cards were made from, through meeting the artists at cons. My hobbies take up too much room, too.[/quote]

Not CCGs but pen & paper RPGs, particularly 1st edition AD&D and Basic/Expert D&D -- anything Gygaxian.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
[quote="GKC"If by role playing, you mean the Middle Earth CCG system, from Iron Crown Enterprises, as it was sold around 15 years ago, I and my daughter and SIL bought a ton of the cards. I still have an unopened box of booster packs for one of the games, somewhere. But what we really enjoyed was getting original sketches and artwork the cards were made from, through meeting the artists at cons. My hobbies take up too much room, too.

Not CCGs but pen & paper RPGs, particularly 1st edition AD&D and Basic/Expert D&D -- anything Gygaxian.[/quote]

That takes me back. I never played anything Gygaxian, but I bought one of the first marketed D&D sets, the boxed 3 booklet set put out in 1974. I never could figure it out, and never tried any of its offspring.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:54 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
I never played anything Gygaxian, but I bought one of the first marketed D&D sets, the boxed 3 booklet set put out in 1974. I never could figure it out, and never tried any of its offspring.

Depending on the edition, it could be very valuable. The woodgrain box is more rare than the white box.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 11 of 14   [ 271 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next