Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 14   [ 271 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sci-fi
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:23 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

angelicdoctor wrote:
GKC wrote:
Norton and Vance are superb. GKC

I have made a decision. I like you, friend.

I missed this.

I like you too.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
GKC wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
GKC, what do you think of David Weber's Honorverse collaborations with Eric Flint? I started reading Crown of Slaves some time ago and had a lot of difficulty in getting through it. I don't mind intrigue but it seems unduly focused on the sex lives of the characters, who is seducing whom, etc. In fact I had trouble recognizing Weber at all in the work -- even different terms are used for some concepts (for example, the term "contra-grav" is used rather than Weber's usual term, "counter-grav"). I don't mean to nitpick, of course -- for me it is just evidence that Weber had little to do with the book except provide Flint with some ideas.

I am a fanatic on all the Honorverse, and certainly accept the portions that Flint contributed as canonical. I am also quite grateful to Flint for causing David to extend the time line by at least two books, past the point he had decided to make the climax, in order to accommodate stuff that Eric had written, that messed up his planned schedule. I just bought RISING THUNDER, and have only one more book before Something Awful Happens.

I note the difference in style and emphasis, in CROWN OF SLAVES and TORCH OF FREEDOM, emphasis on certain characters, MANPOWER, the Ballroom, etc. Doesn't bother me at all. I am caught in the flow, and highly unlikely to catch contra or counter. Memory isn't that good. But it is as likely that Eric gives David ideas as the other way. Certainly he did, when he forced the time line shift.

My wife, more the extremist on Honor than I am, makes no distinction between Weber and Flint, reads all, demands more.

Just wanted to let you know, I read Torch of Freedom and found it much more enjoyable than Crown of Slaves (which as I noted I could not even get through the first few chapters).

Yes, I think Something Awful will happen, or start to happen, in whatever book follows Shadow of Freedom. It could be a while though ... I imagine that the next Weber/Flint collaboration will come first and that probably won't be out until next year.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:36 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
GKC, what do you think of David Weber's Honorverse collaborations with Eric Flint? I started reading Crown of Slaves some time ago and had a lot of difficulty in getting through it. I don't mind intrigue but it seems unduly focused on the sex lives of the characters, who is seducing whom, etc. In fact I had trouble recognizing Weber at all in the work -- even different terms are used for some concepts (for example, the term "contra-grav" is used rather than Weber's usual term, "counter-grav"). I don't mean to nitpick, of course -- for me it is just evidence that Weber had little to do with the book except provide Flint with some ideas.

I am a fanatic on all the Honorverse, and certainly accept the portions that Flint contributed as canonical. I am also quite grateful to Flint for causing David to extend the time line by at least two books, past the point he had decided to make the climax, in order to accommodate stuff that Eric had written, that messed up his planned schedule. I just bought RISING THUNDER, and have only one more book before Something Awful Happens.

I note the difference in style and emphasis, in CROWN OF SLAVES and TORCH OF FREEDOM, emphasis on certain characters, MANPOWER, the Ballroom, etc. Doesn't bother me at all. I am caught in the flow, and highly unlikely to catch contra or counter. Memory isn't that good. But it is as likely that Eric gives David ideas as the other way. Certainly he did, when he forced the time line shift.

My wife, more the extremist on Honor than I am, makes no distinction between Weber and Flint, reads all, demands more.

Just wanted to let you know, I read Torch of Freedom and found it much more enjoyable than Crown of Slaves (which as I noted I could not even get through the first few chapters).

Yes, I think Something Awful will happen, or start to happen, in whatever book follows Shadow of Freedom. It could be a while though ... I imagine that the next Weber/Flint collaboration will come first and that probably won't be out until next year.

Can ask him next time I see him. Last time was in June last year. Next time, no idea. But he warned me, long, long ago that it might not end "well".

I have A RISING THUNDER and SHADOWS OF FREEDOM. Haven't read either. Fear starting Something Awful happening.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
I have A RISING THUNDER and SHADOWS OF FREEDOM. Haven't read either. Fear starting Something Awful happening.

Without revealing too much, I would say rather that the stage is being set for Something Awful happening. Lots of fun intrigue though.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:

Without revealing too much, I would say rather that the stage is being set for Something Awful happening. Lots of fun intrigue though.

Fun Intrigue is David's middle name. Along with Inventing New Methods of Mass Destruction in Space.

I'll get to those two soon. But I'm hooked on Dewey Lambdin's Alan Lewrie fighting sail books right now. Got 2 more on hand to get through.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 am 
Adept
Adept

I know it's a book thread, but for anyone who hasn't seen it yet I would highly recommend the film, 'Moon,' staring Sam Rockwell and directed by David Bowie's son Duncan Jones. One of the best Sci Fi films I've seen in recent years.

Seventeenth rule. Similarly, we should not talk of grace at such length and with such insistence as to poison people's attitude to free will. Thus we should speak about faith and grace, as far as it is possible with God's help, in a way that results in a greater praise of his Divine Majesty, but not in such a way and with such expressions (especially in times as dangerous as ours) that good works and free will come to be undermined or held for nothing. -Saint Ignatius -The Spiritual Exercises

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Another mention of Asimov here. "I, Robot" is awesome.

Has anyone read C.S. Lewis' space trilogy? It's quite good.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Sillara wrote:
Another mention of Asimov here. "I, Robot" is awesome.

Has anyone read C.S. Lewis' space trilogy? It's quite good.

Yup, I think most everyone on this thread has read that trilogy.

I'm working through Neil Asher's Gridlinked. I have to say not as interesting as I expected, but okay.
I'm almost through my list of Cyberpunk and I'm starting to get bored with most of the themes. Any minute now and I'll start reading some Pat Cadigan just for a change of pace, even though she makes me nuts.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:04 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Fans of Timothy Zahn as well as those of the "Honorverse" might be interested in knowing that Zahn is collaborating with David Weber (as well as a third writer, Tom Pope, with whom I am not familiar) on a series of Honorverse "prequels" and the first book has been released as an "Advanced Reader Copy":
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-2281-a-call ... -earc.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
That will be interesting. Zahn is one of the few people still writing interesting Star Wars novelizations, so he can flourish in someone else's creative universe.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:15 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
That will be interesting. Zahn is one of the few people still writing interesting Star Wars novelizations, so he can flourish in someone else's creative universe.

If you follow the link above, there is a link to read sample chapters -- the first eight (I think) are on-line.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:00 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
Fans of Timothy Zahn as well as those of the "Honorverse" might be interested in knowing that Zahn is collaborating with David Weber (as well as a third writer, Tom Pope, with whom I am not familiar) on a series of Honorverse "prequels" and the first book has been released as an "Advanced Reader Copy":
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-2281-a-call ... -earc.aspx

Neat. Zahn has played in the Honorverse before. And writes well on his on stuff. Ran into him again in Atlanta last Sep.

Pope has worked in the 'verse, on support reference material. I think I got something he contributed to.

Will look forward to this.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:26 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:

I picked up Crown of Slaves again on a whim and I am almost through it ... I have to say that it is far inferior to Torch of Freedom. Crown of Slaves is to Torch of Freedom what The Gripping Hand is to The Mote in God's Eye (with the exception of chronological order, of course). OK, maybe not that extreme, but Crown of Slaves could easily have been a novella or even a short story. And hammering on the "Masadan fanatics" gets old after a while -- even some Mesans are portrayed sympathetically in the Honorverse but not Masadans (at least not Masadan men) ... they are the orcs of the Honorverse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:36 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:

I picked up Crown of Slaves again on a whim and I am almost through it ... I have to say that it is far inferior to Torch of Freedom. Crown of Slaves is to Torch of Freedom what The Gripping Hand is to The Mote in God's Eye (with the exception of chronological order, of course). OK, maybe not that extreme, but Crown of Slaves could easily have been a novella or even a short story. And hammering on the "Masadan fanatics" gets old after a while -- even some Mesans are portrayed sympathetically in the Honorverse but not Masadans (at least not Masadan men) ... they are the orcs of the Honorverse.

I tend to take what I can get. But haven't read the last 2 novels, nor the Honorverse collection out recently. You know why.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I just reread Mote and was again impressed by how good a novel it is (IMHO better than anything either Niven or Pournelle has ever done independently). The Gripping Hand was awful (too much Niven, also IMHO) and I have no particular desire to reread it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I just reread Mote and was again impressed by how good a novel it is (IMHO better than anything either Niven or Pournelle has ever done independently). The Gripping Hand was awful (too much Niven, also IMHO) and I have no particular desire to reread it.

Not only is Mote better than anything Niven or Pournelle has done independently, it is also the best of their collaborations -- at least those that I've actually read :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've read most of them. Inferno is pretty good (despite Universalist leanings). Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer are too much the same novel (Kevin Renner is in both, under different names). Oath of Fealty was readable too. It's downhill after that. Mote is head-and-shoulders above them all.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I've read most of them. Inferno is pretty good (despite Universalist leanings). Footfall and Lucifer's Hammer are too much the same novel (Kevin Renner is in both, under different names). Oath of Fealty was readable too. It's downhill after that. Mote is head-and-shoulders above them all.

INFERNO did not engage me. FOOTFALL I liked more than LUCIFER'S HAMMER. LEGACY OF HEOROT and BEOWULF'S CHILDREN I found excellent.

MOTE, #1.

Niven was in Atlanta last year, so I brought back another dozen signed books. He says Pournelle is in continuing poor health.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:26 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

I've read all of those that you've listed above as well as a couple of collaborations they've done (together, not independently) with others. One does get the sense that they are reusing story elements (e.g., Project Orion) and characters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

INFERNO did not engage me. FOOTFALL I liked more than LUCIFER'S HAMMER. LEGACY OF HEOROT and BEOWULF'S CHILDREN I found excellent.

I didn't really care for Footfall but perhaps that's because I read it after Lucifer's Hammer. I read Heorot and liked it well enough, but not it's sequel (yet).

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 13 of 14   [ 271 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next