Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Are Paperbacks Disappearing?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:43 am 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
In a move to make my book addiction more affordable, I have taken to buying used paperbacks on Amazon. The shipping cost is a uniform US$3.99, but I have picked up paperbacks for US$0.01 -- in Good condition. IMHO, it is an affordable way to check out a new author or to continue a series without paying what has become a minimum of US$7.99 new. And avoiding the hassle of driving to a bookstore to discover that the book isn't in stock and, if I decide to order it, waiting for two weeks and having to drive back to the books store. For a book that might decide I don't want to finish. But, this is not an advertisement for Amazon.

Since I don't archive every book I have ever owned, like some folks here, I usually donate the finished book to the local library. So, buying used paperbacks is relatively quick and cheap way to acquire a book I might otherwise pass on. Plus, based upon the moneyless and wandering days of my youth, there is nothing quite like a beat up and portable paperback for reading a beguiling volume.

However, while investigating several book series online, I noted that a couple of series are available only in hardback or on Kindle -- no paperbacks have been issued. It used to be that one or two books of a new series might be issued in paperback, and, if successful, subsequent volumes might be issued in hardback. Then, after some period, those hardbacks would be reissued as paperbacks. And, if the initial volumes were reprinted, the paperback volumes might be reissued in hardback.

So, is my observation an anomaly? Or is there a developing trend to make books available either as hardbacks or in an electronic format -- and not publishing a paperback?

Any comments, anecdotal experiences, or speculation are welcome.

Semper Fi!

Post subject: Re: Are Paperbacks Disappearing?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:54 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
In a move to make my book addiction more affordable, I have taken to buying used paperbacks on Amazon. The shipping cost is a uniform US$3.99, but I have picked up paperbacks for US$0.01 -- in Good condition. IMHO, it is an affordable way to check out a new author or to continue a series without paying what has become a minimum of US$7.99 new. And avoiding the hassle of driving to a bookstore to discover that the book isn't in stock and, if I decide to order it, waiting for two weeks and having to drive back to the books store. For a book that might decide I don't want to finish. But, this is not an advertisement for Amazon.

Since I don't archive every book I have ever owned, like some folks here, I usually donate the finished book to the local library. So, buying used paperbacks is relatively quick and cheap way to acquire a book I might otherwise pass on. Plus, based upon the moneyless and wandering days of my youth, there is nothing quite like a beat up and portable paperback for reading a beguiling volume.

However, while investigating several book series online, I noted that a couple of series are available only in hardback or on Kindle -- no paperbacks have been issued. It used to be that one or two books of a new series might be issued in paperback, and, if successful, subsequent volumes might be issued in hardback. Then, after some period, those hardbacks would be reissued as paperbacks. And, if the initial volumes were reprinted, the paperback volumes might be reissued in hardback.

So, is my observation an anomaly? Or is there a developing trend to make books available either as hardbacks or in an electronic format -- and not publishing a paperback?

RE: the thread title, not around here, no.

You succinctly outline the not unusual publishing arc, before the days of self-publishing, and electronic offenses. I'm am no longer close to the business, but I haven't noticed a change in the customary arc, save to include e books in it.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:05 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

It seems a likely outcome to me that ebooks will come to occupy the place once occupied by paperbacks, and it would not surprise me if it were already happening.

“Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say ‘thou shalt not’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.” — Pope Francis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 am 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

You succinctly outline the not unusual publishing arc, before the days of self-publishing, and electronic offenses. I'm am no longer close to the business, but I haven't noticed a change in the customary arc, save to include e books in it.

GKC
RE: the thread title, someone will achieve a singularity, thereby destroying the Earth, the solar system, and local space. But we won't be around to blame him.

I have a Kindle and find I use it only on trips, when space and convenience are important. It does work pretty well, but requires recharging. Which paperbacks don't.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:44 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

GKC
RE: the thread title, someone will achieve a singularity, thereby destroying the Earth, the solar system, and local space. But we won't be around to blame him.

I have a Kindle and find I use it only on trips, when space and convenience are important. It does work pretty well, but requires recharging. Which paperbacks don't.

Also, paperbacks are books. The article required.

As to the singularity, I'm working on it.

GKC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:53 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Not 'disappearing' but 'have already disappeared', like compact discs. Let me ask you...when was the last time you saw a record store? Book stores are similarly on their way out. It used to be that when you went on an airplane or visited a beach, you would see people reading books. Now you see them starting at e-readers and tablets. Actual physical books are becoming as rare as a CD player.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:10 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Not 'disappearing' but 'have already disappeared', like compact discs. Let me ask you...when was the last time you saw a record store? Book stores are similarly on their way out. It used to be that when you went on an airplane or visited a beach, you would see people reading books. Now you see them starting at e-readers and tablets. Actual physical books are becoming as rare as a CD player.

Not around here, no.

Got 3 CD players, too.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:37 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Just saw this on FB...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:56 am 
There Can Be Only One

As did I .

I would change the tense of the text to past and past imperfect. As in, "This used to be a book shop...".

The state of local bookshops is another topic, but we have just had our newest privately owned shop close. It was very traditional and, like so many shops that are gone, very passive and out of touch with local book buyers. And about two weeks ago, I walked out of another shop I've patronized for decades, also well on its way downhill, because of attitude from an employee (they aren't priestesses of literature, they are salesmen). It is the same bookshop that has cut back its evening hours and won't let our SF&F book group meet there anymore...instead it set up a meeting place in a nearby bar.

The remaining book shops ain't what they used to be. And Amazon is not the only problem.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:43 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
As did I .

I would change the tense of the text to past and past imperfect. As in, "This used to be a book shop...".

The state of local bookshops is another topic, but we have just had our newest privately owned shop close. It was very traditional and, like so many shops that are gone, very passive and out of touch with local book buyers. And about two weeks ago, I walked out of another shop I've patronized for decades, also well on its way downhill, because of attitude from an employee (they aren't priestesses of literature, they are salesmen). It is the same bookshop that has cut back its evening hours and won't let our SF&F book group meet there anymore...instead it set up a meeting place in a nearby bar.

The remaining book shops ain't what they used to be. And Amazon is not the only problem.

It's not enough people reading.

IMO.

More people should read.

Books.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:56 am 
There Can Be Only One

IYHO, only certified book readers could be citizens. Or allowed to procreate. But that just MHO.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:29 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
IYHO, only certified book readers could be citizens. Or allowed to procreate. But that just MHO.

:yes:

And, depending on what is read, be eligible for bonus votes.

Bonus procreation is more problematic.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:37 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

GKC and Highlander REALLY need to come to Austin. Between Book People ( http://www.bookpeople.com/ ) and Half Price Books ( http://www.hpb.com/ ) y'all would be in hog heaven! :cloud9:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:33 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
GKC and Highlander REALLY need to come to Austin. Between Book People ( http://www.bookpeople.com/ ) and Half Price Books ( http://www.hpb.com/ ) y'all would be in hog heaven! :cloud9:

It's tempting. And since I lived in Wichita Falls, and San Antonio, and found all the local stores, it's not totally terra incognito,

I really miss the southern California scene, from around the 1973-1977 period. Torrance, Long Beach, El Sequndo.

Change of Hobbit, for great SF/fantasy, just north of LAX, Acres of Books in Long Beach, for tons of stuff.

Once took Highlander to shop for books along Hollywood Blvd. He likely has forgotten that.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 pm 

Religion: Protestant
Church Affiliations: None
Doom wrote:

This is a generalization.

Here in Vegas, there are several stores that specialize in records. Everything from vinyl to CDs, even 8-Tracks. They seem to be doing good business.

While the Big Name bookstores are disappearing, there are still a number of used stores with rack upon rack of hardbound and paperback books. They too seem to be doing okay.

As a published author, I enjoy being able to offer paperbacks to readers, even though my novels are also in e-book format.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:43 pm 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
... Acres of Books in Long Beach, for tons of stuff.

Once took Highlander to shop for books along Hollywood Blvd. He likely has forgotten that.

I do remember Acres of Books. There was such a mass (in the physics sense) of books on shelves from floor to ceiling and from floor to floor in the building, that I feared an imminent collapse. But did get a volume of Kipling, which I still have.

GKC wept twice during the visit. Once from joy whilst standing in the middle of the emporium and once from grief when we left. But he is pretty much a literary cry baby.

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:58 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Highlander wrote:
But did get a volume of Kipling, which I still have.

I thought Kipling was illicit outside the Sacrament of Marriage..... :scratch:

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
... Acres of Books in Long Beach, for tons of stuff.

I do remember Acres of Books. There was such a mass (in the physics sense) of books on shelves from floor to ceiling and from floor to floor in the building, that I feared an imminent collapse. But did get a volume of Kipling, which I still have.

GKC wept twice during the visit. Once from joy whilst standing in the middle of the emporium and once from grief when we left. But he is pretty much a literary cry baby.
Kipling

Acres of Books was as you describe it. It was there (not with you) that I bought roughly half a dozen volumes of the Mandalay edition of the collected Kipling, found by climbing up the shelving about 8 feet.

Was your Kipling bound in a dark purplish maroon, with a faded paper label on the spine? If so, I wondered where it had gone.

But the crying was accurate. And I well remember your determination, at the sight of such riches, to learn to read.

Completely forgotten Hollywood Blvd, eh? Even Pickwick Books, across the street from Frederick's of Hollywood?

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Highlander wrote:
But did get a volume of Kipling, which I still have.

I thought Kipling was illicit outside the Sacrament of Marriage..... :scratch:

I don't know. I've never Kipled, myself.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:09 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
longknife wrote:
Doom wrote:

This is a generalization.

Here in Vegas, there are several stores that specialize in records. Everything from vinyl to CDs, even 8-Tracks. They seem to be doing good business.

While the Big Name bookstores are disappearing, there are still a number of used stores with rack upon rack of hardbound and paperback books. They too seem to be doing okay.

As a published author, I enjoy being able to offer paperbacks to readers, even though my novels are also in e-book format.

The only titles that are popular on physical format are titles that are not available any other way. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of people buying those used CD's and records take them home and immediately rip the songs into an Mp3 file.

I am a fan of physical media, especially music, because I like album covers and I like liner notes, but the fact is that whether we like it or not physical media don't have much of a future.

Therefore.....let it burn.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 35 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next