Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 26 of 42   [ 834 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:18 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15071
Netcurtains3 wrote:
GKC,
There is a horrible sting in the tale. On the way back home all the trains were cancelled for quite a while. I was stuck on a freezing cold platform (with many others) for 2 hours. Eventually we got home.
This is what occured (its on a different line to mine but alas we both go through this one station):

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news ... on_tracks/

Unfortunately this is all to common this time of year. The line was closed for about 7 hours in all, so I can count myself lucky I did not try to come home early.



That is sad.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 123
Religion: Christian
Highlander wrote:
I thought it was the most (and, maybe, only) balanced account of the long term relations between an Indian nation and US (and Mexican) institutions. It was objective, well-researched, and not politically correct -- which makes it nearly unique in modern popular history.


Would you clarify this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:13 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:02 pm
Posts: 11414
Location: Ultima Thule
Religion: Catholic
I would be reading another P.G. Wodehouse book now if it were not for the fact that it has not arrived in the post yet. :cry:

_________________
Image

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:37 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 7450
Religion: Catholic
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Has anyone else read this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 am 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:02 pm
Posts: 11414
Location: Ultima Thule
Religion: Catholic
Right ho, Jeeves has arrived! :fyi: :cloud9: :bis:

_________________
Image

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:36 pm 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:39 pm
Posts: 2040
Location: Fair Haven, Vermont
Religion: Sacramental Protestant
Catholicism and Fundamentalism, the attack on "Romanism" by "bible Christians"

_________________
Image

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 am 
Offline
Majesty
Majesty
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:59 am
Posts: 9448
Brother André by Jean-Guy Dubuc, published by Ave Maria Press with introduction by Mario Lachapelle, C.S.C. Translated from French. Tomorrow is the feast day of first Holy Cross saint, January 6 in USA. He is a friend of the suffering and an apostle of Saint Joseph.

_________________
.قالت امه للخدام مهما قال لكم فافعلوه

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:23 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 7450
Religion: Catholic
I just purchased "Angels and Demons: What Do We Really Know about Them?" by
Peter Kreeft.

I am looking forward to reading this. :fyi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:51 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 6601
Location: Immaculate Heart of Mary
Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
Vincenzo wrote:
I just purchased "Angels and Demons: What Do We Really Know about Them?" by
Peter Kreeft.

I am looking forward to reading this. :fyi:

I read that. Not to turn this into a discussion but I wonder how someone can know so much about the angels.

_________________
"Everything is a grace because everything is God's gift. Whatever be the character of life or its unexpected events,to the heart that loves, all is well" St. Therese of Lisieux

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:12 am
Posts: 6227
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
Vincenzo wrote:
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Has anyone else read this?


If that's the John R. Civille I know, I would advise not to read it.

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio
"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi
"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 7450
Religion: Catholic
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Has anyone else read this?


If that's the John R. Civille I know, I would advise not to read it.


Really? What's up?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:36 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:12 am
Posts: 6227
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
Vincenzo wrote:
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Has anyone else read this?


If that's the John R. Civille I know, I would advise not to read it.


Really? It was an old book I picked up at a book fair for a few cents. What's up?


Does it say Rev. John R. Civille?

I know a John R. Civille who is a local priest and used to teach at a local Catholic university. He has praised Kung at the pulpit, suggested that you at least confess one sin during a penitential service (when in fact you must confess all known mortal sins, any differentiating between mortal and venial sins and the value of confessing venial sins was not spoken of) and allows liturgical abuse in his Masses including on some occasions liturgical dance. He also dislikes the new translation.

Of course there is a possibility its not the same person and second one could assume he may have been different 30 years ago when the book was written.

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio
"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi
"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:41 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 7450
Religion: Catholic
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Has anyone else read this?


If that's the John R. Civille I know, I would advise not to read it.


Really? It was an old book I picked up at a book fair for a few cents. What's up?


Does it say Rev. John R. Civille?



It says "John R. Civille is a priest of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, assistant professor of moral theology at Mt. St. Mary's Seminary, Norwood, Ohio, and pastor of St. Anthony's Church, Cincinnati...."

I guess so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 pm 
Offline
Paladin
Paladin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:12 am
Posts: 6227
Location: Filii Tonitrui
Religion: Catholic
Yeah, that's my archdiocese..

_________________
-Alexander
"The proof of love is to suffer for the one you love." -St. Pio
"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." -St. Francis of Assisi
"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 42
Location: By the shores of Gitchee-Goomie
Religion: Catholic
I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:42 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15071
Walking Wounded wrote:
I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)


I'm a Derleth, Arkham House, Mycroft & Moran, and Lovecraft collector.


GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 42
Location: By the shores of Gitchee-Goomie
Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
Walking Wounded wrote:
I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)


I'm a Derleth, Arkham House, Mycroft & Moran, and Lovecraft collector.


GKC


Excellent! I have everything Lovecraft ever wrote (except for the stuff he ghost-wrote for other people and his personal letters, of course), plus a goodly amount of Derleth, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, and others.

I also have quite a few Victorian authors of the outré in my collection---J. Sheridan LeFanu, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert W. Chambers, and others.

Not sure if you were aware of this or not, but Howard Dean is a true believer:


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15071
Walking Wounded wrote:
GKC wrote:
Walking Wounded wrote:
I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)


I'm a Derleth, Arkham House, Mycroft & Moran, and Lovecraft collector.


GKC


Excellent! I have everything Lovecraft ever wrote (except for the stuff he ghost-wrote for other people and his personal letters, of course), plus a goodly amount of Derleth, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, and others.

I also have quite a few Victorian authors of the outré in my collection---J. Sheridan LeFanu, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert W. Chambers, and others.

Not sure if you were aware of this or not, but Howard Dean is a true believer:



I'd believe anything of Dean, including that he was a shuggoth.

I got most everything Lovecraft wrote, going back to his early days in various APAs, letters included (5 volumes). Belonged to a few Lovecraftian flavored organizations, and bought much small press and fan produced material, back in the 70s-80s, fanzines, chap books, etc. Once sold a book signed by him (a collection of nondescript ghost stories, which he mentioned to Derleth, in one of the letters. Still own 3-4 books from Lovecraft's personal library.

Those other names are also among my people. If you don't know Montague Rhodes James, look into him. Ditto M. P. Dare and H.R. Wakefield. And Russell Kirk did some right good material, too.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 am
Posts: 42
Location: By the shores of Gitchee-Goomie
Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
I'd believe anything of Dean, including that he was a shuggoth.

I got most everything Lovecraft wrote, going back to his early days in various APAs, letters included (5 volumes). Belonged to a few Lovecraftian flavored organizations, and bought much small press and fan produced material, back in the 70s-80s, fanzines, chap books, etc. Once sold a book signed by him (a collection of nondescript ghost stories, which he mentioned to Derleth, in one of the letters. Still own 3-4 books from Lovecraft's personal library.

Those other names are also among my people. If you don't know Montague Rhodes James, look into him. Ditto M. P. Dare and H.R. Wakefield. And Russell Kirk did some right good material, too.

GKC


Believe it or not, I used to live about nine miles from Russell Kirk. Saw his house every day on my way to and from school. :) He wrote some good stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15071
Walking Wounded wrote:
GKC wrote:
I'd believe anything of Dean, including that he was a shuggoth.

I got most everything Lovecraft wrote, going back to his early days in various APAs, letters included (5 volumes). Belonged to a few Lovecraftian flavored organizations, and bought much small press and fan produced material, back in the 70s-80s, fanzines, chap books, etc. Once sold a book signed by him (a collection of nondescript ghost stories, which he mentioned to Derleth, in one of the letters. Still own 3-4 books from Lovecraft's personal library.

Those other names are also among my people. If you don't know Montague Rhodes James, look into him. Ditto M. P. Dare and H.R. Wakefield. And Russell Kirk did some right good material, too.

GKC


Believe it or not, I used to live about nine miles from Russell Kirk. Saw his house every day on my way to and from school. :) He wrote some good stuff.



Then I know roughly where you lived. I'd have gone over and knocked on the door. He was instrumental in forming much of my thought, years ago.

Did manage to get my copy of THE CONSERVATIVE MIND signed and inscribed. Mutual acquaintance.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 26 of 42   [ 834 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: