Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 26 of 42   [ 834 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:18 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Netcurtains3 wrote:
GKC,
There is a horrible sting in the tale. On the way back home all the trains were cancelled for quite a while. I was stuck on a freezing cold platform (with many others) for 2 hours. Eventually we got home.
This is what occured (its on a different line to mine but alas we both go through this one station):

http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk/news ... on_tracks/

Unfortunately this is all to common this time of year. The line was closed for about 7 hours in all, so I can count myself lucky I did not try to come home early.

That is sad.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:38 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Highlander wrote:
I thought it was the most (and, maybe, only) balanced account of the long term relations between an Indian nation and US (and Mexican) institutions. It was objective, well-researched, and not politically correct -- which makes it nearly unique in modern popular history.

Would you clarify this?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I would be reading another P.G. Wodehouse book now if it were not for the fact that it has not arrived in the post yet. :cry:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:37 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Has anyone else read this?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Right ho, Jeeves has arrived! :fyi: :cloud9: :bis:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:36 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Sacramental Protestant
Catholicism and Fundamentalism, the attack on "Romanism" by "bible Christians"

"You flourish in wealth, and boast of the society of the great and powerful; you rejoice in the beauty of the body and the honours which men pay to you. Consider yourself, that you are mortal, that you are earth, and into the earth you shall go"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:44 am 
Majesty
Majesty

Brother André by Jean-Guy Dubuc, published by Ave Maria Press with introduction by Mario Lachapelle, C.S.C. Translated from French. Tomorrow is the feast day of first Holy Cross saint, January 6 in USA. He is a friend of the suffering and an apostle of Saint Joseph.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I just purchased "Angels and Demons: What Do We Really Know about Them?" by
Peter Kreeft.

I am looking forward to reading this. :fyi:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Traditional Latin Mass Loving Catholic
Vincenzo wrote:
I just purchased "Angels and Demons: What Do We Really Know about Them?" by
Peter Kreeft.

I am looking forward to reading this. :fyi:

I read that. Not to turn this into a discussion but I wonder how someone can know so much about the angels.

"I have loved You, oh Jesus. Grant me to love You even more, so that my thoughts turn only to You, all day, and all night, even while sleeping ... I wish my spirit to talk always with You, my soul to converse always with You." -St Gemma Galgani

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Vincenzo wrote:
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

If that's the John R. Civille I know, I would advise not to read it.

"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:

Really? What's up?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:36 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Vincenzo wrote:
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:

Really? It was an old book I picked up at a book fair for a few cents. What's up?

Does it say Rev. John R. Civille?

I know a John R. Civille who is a local priest and used to teach at a local Catholic university. He has praised Kung at the pulpit, suggested that you at least confess one sin during a penitential service (when in fact you must confess all known mortal sins, any differentiating between mortal and venial sins and the value of confessing venial sins was not spoken of) and allows liturgical abuse in his Masses including on some occasions liturgical dance. He also dislikes the new translation.

Of course there is a possibility its not the same person and second one could assume he may have been different 30 years ago when the book was written.

"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:

Really? It was an old book I picked up at a book fair for a few cents. What's up?

Does it say Rev. John R. Civille?

It says "John R. Civille is a priest of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, assistant professor of moral theology at Mt. St. Mary's Seminary, Norwood, Ohio, and pastor of St. Anthony's Church, Cincinnati...."

I guess so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Yeah, that's my archdiocese..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 am 

I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:42 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Walking Wounded wrote:
I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)

I'm a Derleth, Arkham House, Mycroft & Moran, and Lovecraft collector.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 am 

GKC wrote:
Walking Wounded wrote:

GKC

Excellent! I have everything Lovecraft ever wrote (except for the stuff he ghost-wrote for other people and his personal letters, of course), plus a goodly amount of Derleth, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, and others.

I also have quite a few Victorian authors of the outré in my collection---J. Sheridan LeFanu, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert W. Chambers, and others.

Not sure if you were aware of this or not, but Howard Dean is a true believer:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Walking Wounded wrote:
GKC wrote:
Walking Wounded wrote:

GKC

Excellent! I have everything Lovecraft ever wrote (except for the stuff he ghost-wrote for other people and his personal letters, of course), plus a goodly amount of Derleth, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, and others.

I also have quite a few Victorian authors of the outré in my collection---J. Sheridan LeFanu, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert W. Chambers, and others.

Not sure if you were aware of this or not, but Howard Dean is a true believer:

I'd believe anything of Dean, including that he was a shuggoth.

I got most everything Lovecraft wrote, going back to his early days in various APAs, letters included (5 volumes). Belonged to a few Lovecraftian flavored organizations, and bought much small press and fan produced material, back in the 70s-80s, fanzines, chap books, etc. Once sold a book signed by him (a collection of nondescript ghost stories, which he mentioned to Derleth, in one of the letters. Still own 3-4 books from Lovecraft's personal library.

Those other names are also among my people. If you don't know Montague Rhodes James, look into him. Ditto M. P. Dare and H.R. Wakefield. And Russell Kirk did some right good material, too.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 pm 

GKC wrote:

I got most everything Lovecraft wrote, going back to his early days in various APAs, letters included (5 volumes). Belonged to a few Lovecraftian flavored organizations, and bought much small press and fan produced material, back in the 70s-80s, fanzines, chap books, etc. Once sold a book signed by him (a collection of nondescript ghost stories, which he mentioned to Derleth, in one of the letters. Still own 3-4 books from Lovecraft's personal library.

Those other names are also among my people. If you don't know Montague Rhodes James, look into him. Ditto M. P. Dare and H.R. Wakefield. And Russell Kirk did some right good material, too.

GKC

Believe it or not, I used to live about nine miles from Russell Kirk. Saw his house every day on my way to and from school. :) He wrote some good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Walking Wounded wrote:
GKC wrote:

GKC

Believe it or not, I used to live about nine miles from Russell Kirk. Saw his house every day on my way to and from school. :) He wrote some good stuff.

Then I know roughly where you lived. I'd have gone over and knocked on the door. He was instrumental in forming much of my thought, years ago.

Did manage to get my copy of THE CONSERVATIVE MIND signed and inscribed. Mutual acquaintance.

GKC

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 26 of 42   [ 834 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 42  Next