Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 27 of 43   [ 851 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Has anyone else read this?

If that's the John R. Civille I know, I would advise not to read it.

Really? What's up?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:36 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Vincenzo wrote:
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
I'm reading an old book titled, PRINCIPLES OF CATHOLIC THEOLOGY, A Synthesis of Dogma and Morals, by Rev. Edward J. Gratsch & John R. Civille.

Really? It was an old book I picked up at a book fair for a few cents. What's up?

Does it say Rev. John R. Civille?

I know a John R. Civille who is a local priest and used to teach at a local Catholic university. He has praised Kung at the pulpit, suggested that you at least confess one sin during a penitential service (when in fact you must confess all known mortal sins, any differentiating between mortal and venial sins and the value of confessing venial sins was not spoken of) and allows liturgical abuse in his Masses including on some occasions liturgical dance. He also dislikes the new translation.

Of course there is a possibility its not the same person and second one could assume he may have been different 30 years ago when the book was written.

"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:41 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
ADL wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:

Really? It was an old book I picked up at a book fair for a few cents. What's up?

Does it say Rev. John R. Civille?

It says "John R. Civille is a priest of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, assistant professor of moral theology at Mt. St. Mary's Seminary, Norwood, Ohio, and pastor of St. Anthony's Church, Cincinnati...."

I guess so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 pm 
Paladin
Paladin

Yeah, that's my archdiocese..

"We need neither progressives nor reactionary conservatives, only Catholic Traditionalists" - Ryan Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 am 

I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:42 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Walking Wounded wrote:
I'm reading an old book about Father Jacques Marquette's exploration of the Mississippi River in 1673; it was written in the 1950's by August Derleth, who as you may or may not know, was a great admirer and imitator of H.P. Lovecraft. :)

I'm a Derleth, Arkham House, Mycroft & Moran, and Lovecraft collector.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 am 

GKC wrote:
Walking Wounded wrote:

GKC

Excellent! I have everything Lovecraft ever wrote (except for the stuff he ghost-wrote for other people and his personal letters, of course), plus a goodly amount of Derleth, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, and others.

I also have quite a few Victorian authors of the outré in my collection---J. Sheridan LeFanu, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert W. Chambers, and others.

Not sure if you were aware of this or not, but Howard Dean is a true believer:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Walking Wounded wrote:
GKC wrote:
Walking Wounded wrote:

GKC

Excellent! I have everything Lovecraft ever wrote (except for the stuff he ghost-wrote for other people and his personal letters, of course), plus a goodly amount of Derleth, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, Robert Bloch, and others.

I also have quite a few Victorian authors of the outré in my collection---J. Sheridan LeFanu, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Robert W. Chambers, and others.

Not sure if you were aware of this or not, but Howard Dean is a true believer:

I'd believe anything of Dean, including that he was a shuggoth.

I got most everything Lovecraft wrote, going back to his early days in various APAs, letters included (5 volumes). Belonged to a few Lovecraftian flavored organizations, and bought much small press and fan produced material, back in the 70s-80s, fanzines, chap books, etc. Once sold a book signed by him (a collection of nondescript ghost stories, which he mentioned to Derleth, in one of the letters. Still own 3-4 books from Lovecraft's personal library.

Those other names are also among my people. If you don't know Montague Rhodes James, look into him. Ditto M. P. Dare and H.R. Wakefield. And Russell Kirk did some right good material, too.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:31 pm 

GKC wrote:

I got most everything Lovecraft wrote, going back to his early days in various APAs, letters included (5 volumes). Belonged to a few Lovecraftian flavored organizations, and bought much small press and fan produced material, back in the 70s-80s, fanzines, chap books, etc. Once sold a book signed by him (a collection of nondescript ghost stories, which he mentioned to Derleth, in one of the letters. Still own 3-4 books from Lovecraft's personal library.

Those other names are also among my people. If you don't know Montague Rhodes James, look into him. Ditto M. P. Dare and H.R. Wakefield. And Russell Kirk did some right good material, too.

GKC

Believe it or not, I used to live about nine miles from Russell Kirk. Saw his house every day on my way to and from school. :) He wrote some good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:20 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Walking Wounded wrote:
GKC wrote:

GKC

Believe it or not, I used to live about nine miles from Russell Kirk. Saw his house every day on my way to and from school. :) He wrote some good stuff.

Then I know roughly where you lived. I'd have gone over and knocked on the door. He was instrumental in forming much of my thought, years ago.

Did manage to get my copy of THE CONSERVATIVE MIND signed and inscribed. Mutual acquaintance.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
OC Catholicism is the religion of the Bene Gesserits, it is not 'Catholicism' by any means.....and it is not clear in the Dune series whether actual Catholicism as it exists today still exists within the Dune universe, but I'm guessing no based on the whole syncretism thing.

No, it is far more cynical than that. The BG's use religion as a tool.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:
OC Catholicism is the religion of the Bene Gesserits, it is not 'Catholicism' by any means.....and it is not clear in the Dune series whether actual Catholicism as it exists today still exists within the Dune universe, but I'm guessing no based on the whole syncretism thing.

No, it is far more cynical than that. The BG's use religion as a tool.

I gave up on the series about halfway through 'Children of Dune', it just got too stupid.....but even though I will probably never finish it, I have to admit that I am curious.....IS 'the preacher' Paul?

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
I gave up on the series about halfway through 'Children of Dune', it just got too stupid.....but even though I will probably never finish it, I have to admit that I am curious.....IS 'the preacher' Paul?

I can't recall if it was ever revealed but I think the general consensus is that he is.

The book ends with Leto embracing "the Golden Path."

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 pm 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:

I can't recall if it was ever revealed but I think the general consensus is that he is.

The book ends with Leto embracing "the Golden Path."

It's an odd series, it's the only time I've ever encountered something that I thought was both too cynical and too optimistic......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:19 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:
It's an odd series, it's the only time I've ever encountered something that I thought was both too cynical and too optimistic......

I tried to read The God Emperor of Dune but I could not get through it. I didn't really even try with the last two books of the series. I only got a couple of pages into Chapterhouse: Dune as too much stuff had happened before it to figure out what was going on -- it wasn't a standalone novel in any meaningful sense of the term.

Did you mention being a Heinlein fan at some point? or am I thinking of someone else?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:27 pm 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:

I tried to read The God Emperor of Dune but I could not get through it. I didn't really even try with the last two books of the series. I only got a couple of pages into Chapterhouse: Dune as too much stuff had happened before it to figure out what was going on -- it wasn't a standalone novel in any meaningful sense of the term.

Did you mention being a Heinlein fan at some point? or am I thinking of someone else?

I've read Heinlein but I wouldn't call myself a 'fan'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:44 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
Doom wrote:

I'm a Heinlein fan. To a point.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:48 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Doom wrote:

If you want a science-fiction book with 'depth' you might like The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle (I've recommended it many times before so ignore me if I'm boring you).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:13 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Or if you liked Starship Troopers you might give the Falkenberg's Legion series by Jerry Pournelle a try. You can get the first book in that series, West of Honor, for free (I know you have an e-reader):

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-577-west-of-honor.aspx

If you like it, get The Prince by Pournelle & Stirling as well (omnibus edition of all the Falkenberg's Legion stories ... same price as a single book).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 am 
King of Cool

Bagheera wrote:
Or if you liked Starship Troopers you might give the Falkenberg's Legion series by Jerry Pournelle a try. You can get the first book in that series, West of Honor, for free (I know you have an e-reader):

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-577-west-of-honor.aspx

If you like it, get The Prince by Pournelle & Stirling as well (omnibus edition of all the Falkenberg's Legion stories ... same price as a single book).

A Mote in God's Eye and A Canticle for Leibowicz I see mentioned on here a lot.....I don't want to sound snooty but I don't read a lot of fiction these days (my last work of fiction was 'The Princess Bride' by William Goldman) but I'll probably get around to downloading those books eventually....assuming they are available as e-books.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 27 of 43   [ 851 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 43  Next