Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 42   [ 839 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:01 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
A key to the Doctrine of the Eucharist by abbot Anscar Vonier.
Padre Pio. The Pierced Priest by Jim Gallagher.
The World of Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

Padre Pio: The True Story, 2nd edition, by C. Bernard Ruffin. The author, a Lutheran minister, writes pretty well about Saint Pio of Pietrelcina.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:59 pm 

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: Militia of the Immaculata
Excellent! I love these threads. There has been one on every forum I have visited this past year.

Currently, I am reading In Defense of Sanity by G.K. Chesterton

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.” - G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:17 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

angelicdoctor wrote:
Excellent! I love these threads. There has been one on every forum I have visited this past year.

Currently, I am reading In Defense of Sanity by G.K. Chesterton

A selection of his essays, from sundry sources.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:15 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
"Urodivoi" by Catherine Doherty

The title is a Russian word that means "holy foolishness". The author calls us to be "fools for Christ."

"The Life of St. Catherine of Siena", this time I'm reading the one by her spiritual director, Blessed Raymond of Capua.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:58 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
Their Name Is Pius, by Lillian Browne-Olf. It's about Popes Pius VI, VII, IX, X, and XI. It's very intriguing stuff. Written in 1941. There have been so many great and holy Popes, even just since the Napoleonic Wars. And yet all people tend to remember are the Borgias, who weren't even as bad as they're made out to be... :nooo:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:40 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Sinty wrote:
Their Name Is Pius, by Lillian Browne-Olf. It's about Popes Pius VI, VII, IX, X, and XI. It's very intriguing stuff. Written in 1941. There have been so many great and holy Popes, even just since the Napoleonic Wars. And yet all people tend to remember are the Borgias, who weren't even as bad as they're made out to be... :nooo:

One of the Borgias is actually a canonized saint...I think his name was 'Francis' if I recall correctly.....

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:01 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
True but St. Francis Borgia was never Pope -- he was the nephew of the most infamous (to moderns) Borgia Pope.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:06 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

You never know what you might find in a junk store. I found a book titled, "Standard Catholic Readers By Grades, Seventh Year." Copyright, 1909, 1913, by Mary E. Doyle.

The book is in pretty good condition for almost being 100 years old. When you open it, there's a picture of Pope Leo XIII. I just love the old illustrations. I love old books. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Vincenzo wrote:
You never know what you might find in a junk store. I found a book titled, "Standard Catholic Readers By Grades, Seventh Year." Copyright, 1909, 1913, by Mary E. Doyle.

The book is in pretty good condition for almost being 100 years old. When you open it, there's a picture of Pope Leo XIII. I just love the old illustrations. I love old books. :cloud9:

Me too.

Some of them, anyway.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:24 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Vincenzo wrote:

i found a first printing of stranger in a strange land, complete with jacket... though it had a rip in it :( ...it was only about 30 years old at the time

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:

i found a first printing of stranger in a strange land, complete with jacket... though it had a rip in it :( ...it was only about 30 years old at the time

There are a number of questions that would need to be addressed before you could be sure you had a first edition, first printing of the 1961 book, but it's worth pursuing. That is to say, I hope you still have it. Fine/fine conditions (which this would not be) are worth in the multi-thousand $$ range.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:15 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

the only date it has on/in it is 1961 for the printing edition... the book itself is in great shape , but like i said, the "shiny" paper cover is far from "original"

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:33 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
the only date it has on/in it is 1961 for the printing edition... the book itself is in great shape , but like i said, the "shiny" paper cover is far from "original"

I'm assuming this is a hard back book, with dust jacket..

Is there a number for a printing, after the 1961? In 1961, Putnam (that is the publisher, yes?) indicated 1st printing, which is what you want, by no number at all. 2nd and subsequent printings were indicated by the number.

Also, what color is the binding/covers, which should be cloth? Is there gilt lettering on the spine? Close the book and look at the top edges of the pages. What do they look like? Look at the bottom of page 408. Do you see anything?

We'll talk about the dust jacket if these points come up right. Also the book's condition.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:38 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

making me work aren't you? 8-) it seems we might have had this conversation before...ringing any bells with you?

1) yes, hard back book with dust jacket
2) no number, yes GPPS... it says (c with a circle around it) 1961 by robert a. heinlein
3) binding is alternate green and the color of the pages...a dingy yellow... cover is kind of a sea green..and i guess there is gilt lettering on the spine... it has the name of the book, the author and putnam ... the top of the pages are the same coloring ofwhat is on the spine and the lettering on the jacket... jacket design was by ben feder , inc. .. but nothing on the bottom of page 408 :(

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
making me work aren't you? 8-) it seems we might have had this conversation before...ringing any bells with you?

1) yes, hard back book with dust jacket
2) no number, yes GPPS... it says (c with a circle around it) 1961 by robert a. heinlein
3) binding is alternate green and the color of the pages...a dingy yellow... cover is kind of a sea green..and i guess there is gilt lettering on the spine... it has the name of the book, the author and putnam ... the top of the pages are the same coloring ofwhat is on the spine and the lettering on the jacket... jacket design was by ben feder , inc. .. but nothing on the bottom of page 408 :(

Oh, dear. You were doing so well.

"C22" printed at the bottom of p. 408 is one of the crucial points for a 1st/1st.

Before proceeding, look at the dust jacket, usually at the top of the inside front flap. Is there a price? Does the DJ feel like a cheap paper?

We might have done so, but memory fades.

If no price, I'll ask about the overall condition of book and dj, but am suspecting book club edition. May say so, at bottom of inside of front DJ flap. In which case,it would have "C23" at bottom of p. 408, if 1st BC edition.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

yea, i know... no price on the dj... have no idea how i would rate the quality of paper

says nothing on inside dj flap...but then someone cut the bottom right of that flap diagonally

nothing on the bottom of page 408....except the last sentence on the page :wink:

so basically i have an old book of no particular value,except to me 8-) :wave don't tell Fr Kenobi or bagheera :mrgreen:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

faithfulservant wrote:
yea, i know... no price on the dj... have no idea how i would rate the quality of paper

says nothing on inside dj flap...but then someone cut the bottom right of that flap diagonally

nothing on the bottom of page 408....except the last sentence on the page :wink:

so basically i have an old book of no particular value,except to me 8-) :wave don't tell Fr Kenobi or bagheera :mrgreen:

It's a later printing of the book club edition.

I'll tell no one.

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I just downloaded Lino Rulli's Sinner onto my Kindle. I haven't been able to put it down. I've gotten to be a huge fan of his The Catholic Guy radio show since I discovered it last month.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I finished Sinner in about 22 hours, including time for sleep and play with my granddaughter. I loved it, and wrote Lino Rulli an email telling him so. He sent me back a very sweet reply, including congratulations for my upcoming Rite of Election, which will be on my birthday. I still think receiving a blessing from the Bishop will be the coolest birthday present I've ever received.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 42   [ 839 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 42  Next