Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 32 of 42   [ 839 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 9657
Location: Here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Style, or content?

_________________
"If the world is against truth, then I am against the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 pm 
Offline
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:26 am
Posts: 84092
Location: Revelation 11:19-12:1
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
content :yes:

_________________
All Marian devotion begins with Christ,is centered on Christ,and ends with Christ.
As Mary brought Jesus to us,so shall She bring us to Jesus!


De Maria numquam satis

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Posts: 9657
Location: Here
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
It's stuff I have read for years. Not for school, but as an examination of our society and culture. Hard to pick up from scratch.

_________________
"If the world is against truth, then I am against the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:41 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Posts: 489
Location: Νεφελοκοκκυγία
Religion: Catholic soon
Reading Purgatorio, translated by Dorothy L. Sayers. I read Inferno in the Longfellow translation, and I like Miss Sayers' style much better, which seems odd, since I've never been able to get into a Lord Peter Wimsey book.

_________________
Discite iustitiam, moniti, et non temnere divos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15210
Sinty wrote:
Reading Purgatorio, translated by Dorothy L. Sayers. I read Inferno in the Longfellow translation, and I like Miss Sayers' style much better, which seems odd, since I've never been able to get into a Lord Peter Wimsey book.


I am sorry to hear that.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 pm 
Online
Majesty
Majesty
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:59 am
Posts: 9754
I am reading a book Appels du Message de Fatima by Soeur Lucia in French - that is, Calls from the Message of Fatima by Sister Lucia.

_________________
.قالت امه للخدام مهما قال لكم فافعلوه

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:19 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am
Posts: 7575
Religion: Catholic
"Prayers for Beginners," by Peter Kreeft.

Outstanding read. Started reading this at a time when I needed to be reading it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 319
Religion: Orthodox
That's hilarious. That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read that post! You beat me to it! :)

I'm a big Police fan. I've been playing guitar for around 24 years now. I'm a bit Fender Telecaster (we just call em "Tellies") and play nothing but Telecasters and Stratocasters, the same guitar as the great Police guitarist Andy Summers. I love his style and imitate it a lot. Tons of stereo chorus, flanger, delay, you name it.

Big Police fan. Those guys just could do no wrong with me.

faithfulservant wrote:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 319
Religion: Orthodox
I'm reading "The Everlasting Man" finally pleasing GKC even though he trashes every single last thing I like ( :P )....and simultaneously trying to read "For the Life of the World," a phenomenal book about the Sacraments in Holy Orthodoxy by the late, great master of theology and reform, Father Alexander Schmemann


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:53 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15210
I'm reading vol 5 of the complete collected Little Orphan Annie newspaper strips.

I like LOA.

Also reading some SF (went to 3 cons in June) and some WWII stuff.


GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 319
Religion: Orthodox
What to say? WEIRD ::): Little orphan Annie? It's official, Jim. You need meds :)
What's next? My Little Pony?
GKC wrote:
I'm reading vol 5 of the complete collected Little Orphan Annie newspaper strips.

I like LOA.

Also reading some SF (went to 3 cons in June) and some WWII stuff.


GKC


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:13 pm 
Offline
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 8426
Location: Just visiting this planet.
Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I just finished reading Sparky's Murder in the Vatican. I'm not a fan of mysteries in general, and haven't read a Sherlock Holmes story since I had to read "The Speckled Band" and "The Hound of the Baskervilles" in high school (yes, we had progressed from papyrus by then :verymad: ). Still, the lure of a published volume by someone I actually knew was too good to resist.

The KISS review? I LOVED IT! :clap: :clap:

OK, Ann, you win. I will read more Conan Doyle, thanks to you. And I also hereby cast my vote for a sequel. Perhaps Sherlock and Dr. Watson can find an excuse to come to America? Bring M. Duroc along; there's a lot more story in him that is yet to be told. :)

_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." --Douglas Adams

Image

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15210
Naw. Not enough politics in MLP. Though there are MLP cons. Weird.

Also picked up some Dick Tracy, from the 30s, a great collection of Noel Stickles' work, two war years of Caniff's Terry and the Pirates, two years from the 40s of Alex Raymond's Rip Kirby.

Did I ever mention that I am a fan of classic newspaper strips, with a moderate sized collection? Always on the look-out for such. Need more Terry, Annie, Kirby, ASAP.


gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
What to say? WEIRD ::): Little orphan Annie? It's official, Jim. You need meds :)
What's next? My Little Pony?
GKC wrote:
I'm reading vol 5 of the complete collected Little Orphan Annie newspaper strips.

I like LOA.

Also reading some SF (went to 3 cons in June) and some WWII stuff.


GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69223
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
Did I ever mention that I am a fan of classic newspaper strips, with a moderate sized collection? Always on the look-out for such. Need more Terry, Annie, Kirby, ASAP.


I have the complete Batman newspaper strip by 'Bob Kane' (quotes for a reason I'm sure you know" and the complete Superman newspaper strip by Siegel and Schuster....as well as the complete Calvin and Hobbes....and I was gong to collect the complete Peanuts, but the volumes came out too quickly and I got behind schedule...

I've always wanted to pick up Gould's Dick Tracy but haven't found it anywhere....

Currently, DC is reprinting the complete Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern....but again the volumes came out too quickly and I couldn't keep up....

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15210
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Did I ever mention that I am a fan of classic newspaper strips, with a moderate sized collection? Always on the look-out for such. Need more Terry, Annie, Kirby, ASAP.


I have the complete Batman newspaper strip by 'Bob Kane' (quotes for a reason I'm sure you know" and the complete Superman newspaper strip by Siegel and Schuster....as well as the complete Calvin and Hobbes....and I was gong to collect the complete Peanuts, but the volumes came out too quickly and I got behind schedule...

I've always wanted to pick up Gould's Dick Tracy but haven't found it anywhere....

Currently, DC is reprinting the complete Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern....but again the volumes came out too quickly and I couldn't keep up....





I was being modest, of course. I have a large collection of collected newspaper strips (as you might suspect). What I'm getting right now is being put out by IDW Publishing in their Library of American Comics (their site is google-able). They are producing multivolumed definitive collections of many of my favorites, as listed. Their retail prices are steep, but one can find them cheaper, at cons. Or even cheaper if one has a B&N discount coupon. I just ordered Vol. 8 of LOA, for 50% off.

They're doing Gould's Dick Tracy, 13 volumes from its start in 1931, to 1951, so far. I got 4 of them. These are hefty HBs, with dailys/Sundays, Sundays in color in the higher end books (and I met again, at the last con, the current Tracy artist). I will grab these books as I find them.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69223
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Well I understand that only the original Dick Tracy run in the 30's is truly essential, by the 50's due to pressure from Wertham and whatnot the violence was toned down and they had Dick Tracy meeting with aliens and traveling back and forth from the moon and all sorts of bizarre sci fi elements tossed in to appease the censors...

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15210
Doom wrote:
Well I understand that only the original Dick Tracy run in the 30's is truly essential, by the 50's due to pressure from Wertham and whatnot the violence was toned down and they had Dick Tracy meeting with aliens and traveling back and forth from the moon and all sorts of bizarre sci fi elements tossed in to appease the censors...



Aliens, yes. One married into Tracy's family. But the major SF theme strips started in the early/mid 60s (Diet Smith's Magnetic Space Coupe/Space car, Moon Maid). Though in a sense, the technological stuff like wrist radios were always sort of near future SF.

I call all Gould's stuff essential, but I like through the 50s best. Really liked Flattop Jr's car.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:30 am
Posts: 69223
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Well, wrist radios is plausible science fiction, just as plausible as shoe phones, even if they were a few decades ahead of the time it was remotely implausible...unlike Tracy's trips to meet the moon men....stories told after we knew for sure that there was no life on the moon.

_________________
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and they deserve to get it good and hard" HL Mencken

Therefore.....let it burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:27 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:22 pm
Posts: 15210
Doom wrote:
Well, wrist radios is plausible science fiction, just as plausible as shoe phones, even if they were a few decades ahead of the time it was remotely implausible...unlike Tracy's trips to meet the moon men....stories told after we knew for sure that there was no life on the moon.



Trip to Moon was in 1964. Could have been some lurking Moon folk hiding up there, then. If not, how do you account for Tracy's grandson?

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:28 pm 
Offline
Citizen
Citizen

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm
Posts: 319
Religion: Orthodox
Next thing we'll see is a 2013 Dick Tracy movie with CGI, Matrix-like flying roundhouse kicks, Dick taking on ninjas and he'll have a voice like Christian Bale (say it to meeeeee!). He'll be in search of some kind of serial killer who slices and dices with meat cleavers. Nolan will direct and Dick will be in the dark. Mr. Tracy will be tattood, pierced, angry, an alcoholic, and dating loose women. In short, he'll be up to date ::):

And GKC will go see it, no questions asked! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 32 of 42   [ 839 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: