Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 32 of 42   [ 839 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:56 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Style, or content?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:57 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
content :yes:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
It's stuff I have read for years. Not for school, but as an examination of our society and culture. Hard to pick up from scratch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:41 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
Reading Purgatorio, translated by Dorothy L. Sayers. I read Inferno in the Longfellow translation, and I like Miss Sayers' style much better, which seems odd, since I've never been able to get into a Lord Peter Wimsey book.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Sinty wrote:
Reading Purgatorio, translated by Dorothy L. Sayers. I read Inferno in the Longfellow translation, and I like Miss Sayers' style much better, which seems odd, since I've never been able to get into a Lord Peter Wimsey book.

I am sorry to hear that.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:51 pm 
Majesty
Majesty

I am reading a book Appels du Message de Fatima by Soeur Lucia in French - that is, Calls from the Message of Fatima by Sister Lucia.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:19 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

"Prayers for Beginners," by Peter Kreeft.

Outstanding read. Started reading this at a time when I needed to be reading it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Orthodox
That's hilarious. That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read that post! You beat me to it! :)

I'm a big Police fan. I've been playing guitar for around 24 years now. I'm a bit Fender Telecaster (we just call em "Tellies") and play nothing but Telecasters and Stratocasters, the same guitar as the great Police guitarist Andy Summers. I love his style and imitate it a lot. Tons of stereo chorus, flanger, delay, you name it.

Big Police fan. Those guys just could do no wrong with me.

faithfulservant wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:15 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I'm reading "The Everlasting Man" finally pleasing GKC even though he trashes every single last thing I like ( :P )....and simultaneously trying to read "For the Life of the World," a phenomenal book about the Sacraments in Holy Orthodoxy by the late, great master of theology and reform, Father Alexander Schmemann

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:53 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I'm reading vol 5 of the complete collected Little Orphan Annie newspaper strips.

I like LOA.

Also reading some SF (went to 3 cons in June) and some WWII stuff.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am 
Citizen
Citizen

What to say? WEIRD ::): Little orphan Annie? It's official, Jim. You need meds :)
What's next? My Little Pony?
GKC wrote:
I'm reading vol 5 of the complete collected Little Orphan Annie newspaper strips.

I like LOA.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I just finished reading Sparky's Murder in the Vatican. I'm not a fan of mysteries in general, and haven't read a Sherlock Holmes story since I had to read "The Speckled Band" and "The Hound of the Baskervilles" in high school (yes, we had progressed from papyrus by then :verymad: ). Still, the lure of a published volume by someone I actually knew was too good to resist.

The KISS review? I LOVED IT! :clap: :clap:

OK, Ann, you win. I will read more Conan Doyle, thanks to you. And I also hereby cast my vote for a sequel. Perhaps Sherlock and Dr. Watson can find an excuse to come to America? Bring M. Duroc along; there's a lot more story in him that is yet to be told. :)

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Naw. Not enough politics in MLP. Though there are MLP cons. Weird.

Also picked up some Dick Tracy, from the 30s, a great collection of Noel Stickles' work, two war years of Caniff's Terry and the Pirates, two years from the 40s of Alex Raymond's Rip Kirby.

Did I ever mention that I am a fan of classic newspaper strips, with a moderate sized collection? Always on the look-out for such. Need more Terry, Annie, Kirby, ASAP.

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
What to say? WEIRD ::): Little orphan Annie? It's official, Jim. You need meds :)
What's next? My Little Pony?
GKC wrote:

I like LOA.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
Did I ever mention that I am a fan of classic newspaper strips, with a moderate sized collection? Always on the look-out for such. Need more Terry, Annie, Kirby, ASAP.

I have the complete Batman newspaper strip by 'Bob Kane' (quotes for a reason I'm sure you know" and the complete Superman newspaper strip by Siegel and Schuster....as well as the complete Calvin and Hobbes....and I was gong to collect the complete Peanuts, but the volumes came out too quickly and I got behind schedule...

I've always wanted to pick up Gould's Dick Tracy but haven't found it anywhere....

Currently, DC is reprinting the complete Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern....but again the volumes came out too quickly and I couldn't keep up....

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

I have the complete Batman newspaper strip by 'Bob Kane' (quotes for a reason I'm sure you know" and the complete Superman newspaper strip by Siegel and Schuster....as well as the complete Calvin and Hobbes....and I was gong to collect the complete Peanuts, but the volumes came out too quickly and I got behind schedule...

I've always wanted to pick up Gould's Dick Tracy but haven't found it anywhere....

Currently, DC is reprinting the complete Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern....but again the volumes came out too quickly and I couldn't keep up....

I was being modest, of course. I have a large collection of collected newspaper strips (as you might suspect). What I'm getting right now is being put out by IDW Publishing in their Library of American Comics (their site is google-able). They are producing multivolumed definitive collections of many of my favorites, as listed. Their retail prices are steep, but one can find them cheaper, at cons. Or even cheaper if one has a B&N discount coupon. I just ordered Vol. 8 of LOA, for 50% off.

They're doing Gould's Dick Tracy, 13 volumes from its start in 1931, to 1951, so far. I got 4 of them. These are hefty HBs, with dailys/Sundays, Sundays in color in the higher end books (and I met again, at the last con, the current Tracy artist). I will grab these books as I find them.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:08 pm 
King of Cool

Well I understand that only the original Dick Tracy run in the 30's is truly essential, by the 50's due to pressure from Wertham and whatnot the violence was toned down and they had Dick Tracy meeting with aliens and traveling back and forth from the moon and all sorts of bizarre sci fi elements tossed in to appease the censors...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:22 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Well I understand that only the original Dick Tracy run in the 30's is truly essential, by the 50's due to pressure from Wertham and whatnot the violence was toned down and they had Dick Tracy meeting with aliens and traveling back and forth from the moon and all sorts of bizarre sci fi elements tossed in to appease the censors...

Aliens, yes. One married into Tracy's family. But the major SF theme strips started in the early/mid 60s (Diet Smith's Magnetic Space Coupe/Space car, Moon Maid). Though in a sense, the technological stuff like wrist radios were always sort of near future SF.

I call all Gould's stuff essential, but I like through the 50s best. Really liked Flattop Jr's car.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm 
King of Cool

Well, wrist radios is plausible science fiction, just as plausible as shoe phones, even if they were a few decades ahead of the time it was remotely implausible...unlike Tracy's trips to meet the moon men....stories told after we knew for sure that there was no life on the moon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Well, wrist radios is plausible science fiction, just as plausible as shoe phones, even if they were a few decades ahead of the time it was remotely implausible...unlike Tracy's trips to meet the moon men....stories told after we knew for sure that there was no life on the moon.

Trip to Moon was in 1964. Could have been some lurking Moon folk hiding up there, then. If not, how do you account for Tracy's grandson?

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:28 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Next thing we'll see is a 2013 Dick Tracy movie with CGI, Matrix-like flying roundhouse kicks, Dick taking on ninjas and he'll have a voice like Christian Bale (say it to meeeeee!). He'll be in search of some kind of serial killer who slices and dices with meat cleavers. Nolan will direct and Dick will be in the dark. Mr. Tracy will be tattood, pierced, angry, an alcoholic, and dating loose women. In short, he'll be up to date ::):

And GKC will go see it, no questions asked! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 32 of 42   [ 839 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next