Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fr J Hardon: Lifetime Catholic Reading Plan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:21 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Is anyone being guided by this book? Here's a link to a great site that summarizes the 104 books Fr Hardon recommends: http://cooltoolsforcatholics.blogspot.c ... holic.html
Remember Clifton Fadiman's wonderful 1960 secular book with similar title? How many times I've gone back to it--I bought the Enc Brit Great Book Series because of it. Their great concept was that all the world's best authors have had a very public conversation with each other over the years! Let's listen (ok, read) --and discuss.

Post subject: Re: Fr J Hardon: Lifetime Catholic Reading Plan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 am 
Majesty
Majesty

I have the book by Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J. It is titled "The Catholic Literature Reading Plan".

Clifton Fadiman wrote the similar for the world literature, however:

http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... P_alAL7AcC

Vietnamese - Mother's Heart Will Conquer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:47 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I have the book that you're referring to. If I'm diligent, I will probably only scratch the surface of his suggestions in my lifetime. A great place to start if you don't know what to pick up next.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 am 

I'd be very grateful for comments on the Hardon book. There is a wonderful irony (is that the right word?) in the fact that although Fadiman's book virtually ignores religious authors, it was dedicated to Mortimer Adler, who, although agnostic or worse in his youth, converted to Catholicism in 1999.
Fadiman was a cosmopolitan TV celebrity and New Yorker editor, probably an atheist like so many in the media, but he effectively encouraged me to read (albeit some of the wrong stuff). He was the General Editor of The World Treasury of Modern Religious Thought, which I think is a deplorable celebration of atheism, and recommend strongly against.