Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 57 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: I hate getting old
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:05 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I always thought I would be the kind of person to age gracefully -- but I'm not.
Not a day goes by when I am not complaining about achy joints, poor eye sight, and tight pants (that I keep just in case one day they magically become 'not so' tight),

Sigh. So why is that we fall apart as we get older? I think it is because its in God's plan for us to become detached from this world - which turns to dust - to prepare our mind and heart
for heaven. By the time we die - we're ready, willing, and able.

Post subject: Re: I hate getting old
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Quote:
I hate getting old.

It beats the alternative. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:05 am 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
Jubilate, I think there is wisdom in what you say. I think that when we realize that we become more content with life. Finally, I am reaching that point. The only world I've yet to fully conquer is myself. I'm content with that.

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:34 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
It's a blessing and a curse. When I was younger, everything in my body worked beautifully....but did I ever use it for bad purposes. :twisted: And emotionally, I was like a kid with way, way, too much testosterone and vinegar. I gave ulcers, not got them, and everything was approached with an aggressive cockiness that I now look back on with extreme embarrassment. :oops: I pretty much stayed that way until my father died. That's when I got old. Now, my body is in constant disrepair. A good day is measured by the lack of discomfort. On the other hand, I have much more peace in my soul. I have much more perspective. I'm much more forgiving of the faults in others that I now see in myself. I've recovered much more of the innocence that I once had as a child.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 am 
Highness
Highness

Jubilate_deo wrote:
I hate getting old

All of us are getting old. :)

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:25 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: KoC 3rd-Hon. Life Member
lbt wrote:

Yea, one day older than yesterday.
It still amuses me when the 40 somethings talk about being old. From my perspective you're still kids. :wave

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 am 
Highness
Highness

I felt younger when I got YouCat, a catechism for the youth.

His mother said to his servants, "Do whatever he tells you." (John 2:5)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:49 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Cancer survivor here. I love birthdays. :D I like getting older because there was a point when I didn't think I would make it to 45. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:33 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Desertfalcon wrote:
It's a blessing and a curse. When I was younger, everything in my body worked beautifully....but did I ever use it for bad purposes. :twisted: And emotionally, I was like a kid with way, way, too much testosterone and vinegar. I gave ulcers, not got them, and everything was approached with an aggressive cockiness that I now look back on with extreme embarrassment. :oops: I pretty much stayed that way until my father died. That's when I got old. Now, my body is in constant disrepair. A good day is measured by the lack of discomfort. On the other hand, I have much more peace in my soul. I have much more perspective. I'm much more forgiving of the faults in others that I now see in myself. I've recovered much more of the innocence that I once had as a child.

What a nice way of looking at it. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:24 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Kotton wrote:
lbt wrote:

Yea, one day older than yesterday.
It still amuses me when the 40 somethings talk about being old. From my perspective you're still kids. :wave

EVERYBODY seems young to somebody who is even one year older, when he turned 90, Oliver Wendall Holmes said he would kill to be as young as 70 again. There are people today who 105,110, 115 years old who think that 90 is young.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:16 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
elfdream wrote:
Cancer survivor here. I love birthdays. :D I like getting older because there was a point when I didn't think I would make it to 45. :)

:clap: :cloud9:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Church Affiliations: SJMJ
I appear to have, in my early forties, just reached the point of painfully learning the lesson that what I eat matters.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:14 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Jubilate_deo wrote:
I always thought I would be the kind of person to age gracefully -- but I'm not.
Not a day goes by when I am not complaining about achy joints, poor eye sight, and tight pants (that I keep just in case one day they magically become 'not so' tight),

Sigh. So why is that we fall apart as we get older? I think it is because its in God's plan for us to become detached from this world - which turns to dust - to prepare our mind and heart
for heaven. By the time we die - we're ready, willing, and able.

I'm going to be 75 in a couple of months. I never felt so happy in my life! Not that everything is perfect.....there is a lot to pray for in my family, and still more to go on my spiritual journey, but I have learned, over the years, to trust the Lord more in all things, and to rest in Him.

I remember being at a church meeting about 30 years ago where I overheard one woman ask another about her recent retreat, and what did she get out of it. The woman answered "The Lord said to me 'say yes to wrinkles and say yes to gray hair' ".

So....rejoice! (It is in God's plan, as you said.) :D

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:21 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
Dirk wrote:
I appear to have, in my early forties, just reached the point of painfully learning the lesson that what I eat matters.

It's good you learned that early on! Over the last 12 years I have drastically changed the way I eat, and like the new discoveries I make about different foods.

For example: Greek yogurt with fruit for a snack, hot oatmeal with honey and walnuts for breakfast, never fried food (fish and chicken breast slices dipped in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs and browned in the oven at 400 degrees) salads with lots of interesting things in it, flat breads made with whole grains, rerduced fat cheese,......and of course lasagna made with reduced fat riccotta cheese, and reduced fat mozzarelle cheese! (not too often! :) )

Last edited by Dorothy B. on Sat May 28, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:37 pm 
Adept
Adept

Doom wrote:
EVERYBODY seems young to somebody who is even one year older, when he turned 90, Oliver Wendall Holmes said he would kill to be as young as 70 again. There are people today who 105,110, 115 years old who think that 90 is young.

I think if I ever make it to 90 that i will still think 70 is old.

I don't mind getting older(up to now), but i'd hate to reach 70 and not to have fulfilled everything that I wanted to acheive, or at least had a go at it. That is why I would hate being old, because you don't get a second chance. If I reach that age and know that I have tried my best, I won't have any regrets.

Seventeenth rule. Similarly, we should not talk of grace at such length and with such insistence as to poison people's attitude to free will. Thus we should speak about faith and grace, as far as it is possible with God's help, in a way that results in a greater praise of his Divine Majesty, but not in such a way and with such expressions (especially in times as dangerous as ours) that good works and free will come to be undermined or held for nothing. -Saint Ignatius -The Spiritual Exercises

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:48 pm 
King of Cool

Jerome_2 wrote:
Doom wrote:

I think if I ever make it to 90 that i will still think 70 is old.

I don't mind getting older(up to now), but i'd hate to reach 70 and not to have fulfilled everything that I wanted to acheive, or at least had a go at it. That is why I would hate being old, because you don't get a second chance. If I reach that age and know that I have tried my best, I won't have any regrets.

I actually don't mind being older...with age you gain experience and wisdom, and I rarely find myself repeating the same mistakes, moreover with age you gain perspective...you know.....25 years later the fact that girl you asked out who turned you down cold and sent you into a week long depression....that doesn't seem like such a big deal....

The only thing I hate about getting older is the pysical deterioration of the body and even that I can tolerate because, as was said earlier 'it beats the alternative'.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:44 pm 
Ancient Mariner
Ancient Mariner

Church Affiliations: Honorary Member 3rd degree KC
The worst thing about it is that I have to look in the obituaries to see my old friends.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: KoC 3rd-Hon. Life Member
What's worse is seeing my younger friends in the obits. Some days every obit is my age or younger. :nooo:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 pm 
King of Cool

Kotton wrote:
What's worse is seeing my younger friends in the obits. Some days every obit is my age or younger. :nooo:

Well that just means you got he last laugh, doesn't it? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:11 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

You know you're getting old when...

1. You and your teeth don't sleep together.

2. Your try to straighten out the wrinkles in your socks and discover you aren't wearing any.

3. At the breakfast table you hear snap, crackle, pop and you're not eating cereal.

4. Your back goes out but you stay home.

5. When you wake up looking like your driver's license picture.

6. It takes two tries to get up from the couch.

7. When your idea of a night out is sitting on the patio.

8. When happy hour is a nap.

9. When you're on vacation and your ENERGY runs out before your money does.

10. When you say something to your kids that your mother said to You, and you always hated it.

11. When all you want for your birthday is to not be reminded of your age.

12. When you step off a curb and look down one more time to make sure the street is still there.

13. Your idea of weight lifting is standing up.

14. It takes longer to rest than it did to get tired.

15. Your memory is shorter and your complaining lasts longer.

16. Your address book has mostly names that start with Dr.

17. You sit in a rocking chair and can't get it going.

18. The pharmacist has become your new best friend.

19. Getting "lucky" means you found your car in the parking lot.

20. The twinkle in your eye is merely a reflection from the sun on your bifocals.

21. It takes twice as long - to look half as good.

22. Everything hurts, and what doesn't hurt - doesn't work.

23. You look for your glasses for half an hour and they were on your head the whole time.

24. You sink your teeth into a steak and they stay there.

25. You give up all your bad habits and still don't feel good.

26. You have more patience, but it is actually that you just don't care anymore.

27. You finally get your head together and your body starts falling apart.

28. You wonder how you could be over the hill when you don't even remember being on top of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 57 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next