Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: After receiving the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity...
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
During Mass (Novus Ordo), after receiving our Lord, some kneel, some stand. I got the impression somewhere that the GIRM said that the faithful could sit or kneel, but most in our diocese stand. In RCIA I heard it wasn't proper to kneel since we genuflect to Christ (in the tabernacle or on the altar), and we had him now in us. I asked a priest who is more pragmatic than pedant, and he said the GIRM didn't specify and that it was up to local custom.

1. What is proper posture?
2. What is permissible posture?

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

Post subject: Re: After receiving the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity...
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The GIRM doesn't say. It says that in the US the congregation should kneel after the Agnus Dei, but it never says when they should stand again.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
The GIRM doesn't say. It says that in the US the congregation should kneel after the Agnus Dei, but it never says when they should stand again.
Thanks! Nice to hear from a member of the Jedi Council.

ἄξιος εἶ, ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, λαβεῖν τὴν δόξαν καὶ τὴν τιμὴν καὶ τὴν δύναμιν, ὅτι σὺ ἔκτισας τὰ πάντα, καὶ διὰ τὸ θέλημά σου ἦσαν καὶ ἐκτίσθησαν. Ἀποκάλυψις 4:11

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:39 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I would add that in the West people kneel to pray, so if you stand after receiving Our Lord it looks like you're not praying.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:03 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Bagheera wrote:
I would add that in the West people kneel to pray, so if you stand after receiving Our Lord it looks like you're not praying.
Good point, although bowing the head or looking heavenward with eyes closed often suffices, too. I like kneeling afterward, the postures of Catholic faith add a richness to worship that are an aid to me, particularly in aridities. However, it's kinda almost disruptive sometimes to myself, and likely others, when everyone else is standing and you have to get others in your pew to watch their feet/ shins so you don't hit them with the kneeler and you have to close your eyes, or look like you are staring at someones seat; I don't always like to forge my own path in mass unless it's technically something I need to do (like genuflect), but that's me. I also prefer kneeling or genuflecting to receive our daily bread, but <sigh>usually don't</sigh> unless it's the :cloud9: extraordinary form. :cloud9:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:22 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Round these parts, people kneel after receiving (or if they are not receiving). We remain kneeling until the priest sits.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:43 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
In my parish, we are instructed to remain standing until the last person has received communion.

Though it's a moot point for me, because I sit for the whole Mass. (I'm a paraplegic and a wheelchair user, in case ya didn't know.)

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
zoom..why no avatar?

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
MrZoom wrote:
In my parish, we are instructed to remain standing until the last person has received communion.

Interesting--I've attended Mass in two different parishes in my diocese; in both, we kneel after receiving the Eucharist and remain kneeling until after the remaining Consecrated Host has been placed in the Tabernacle and the Deacon has returned to his place next to the Celebrant.

Usually, at that time Father will gesture to indicate that we should rise, but last Sunday, he just said "The Lord be with you," which caused everyone to jump up and hurriedly put away the kneelers. Hopefully the plethora of slamming kneelers reminded Father to give us a little time to prepare in the future, especially since slamming kneelers are his "hot button." :nono:

Image Image

Commit to the Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:19 pm 
Adept
Adept

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
faithfulservant wrote:
zoom..why no avatar?

I had a Tigers avatar until a few weeks ago, when Siggy said something about copyrighted images ... I took it down & haven't bothered to replace it.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:07 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

kage_ar wrote:
Round these parts, people kneel after receiving (or if they are not receiving). We remain kneeling until the priest sits.

Ditto. I've never seen anyone stand after receiving. There is no time limit on the kneeling though - you just sit up when you're done praying. Unless Father sits and then stands again before you're done in which case, you need to cut your prayers short.

"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
-Saint Louis Marie de Montfort

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:17 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

MrZoom wrote:

Which is just a liberal trick to not kneel at all. It is also based on a completely wrong understanding of the Mass as primarily a meal.

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:52 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Malleus Haereticorum wrote:
It is also based on a completely wrong understanding of the Mass as primarily a meal.
How so?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Sirius wrote:
It is also based on a completely wrong understanding of the Mass as primarily a meal.
How so?

You wait until everyone has been served or finished in a meal before saying grace

My Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:11 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You wait until everyone has been served or finished in a meal before saying grace
:shock: that's creepy; it is obvious etiquette 101, but talk about sacrilege. It may be naïveté, but I sure hope that's not the intention. Kind of hard to miss once you see it, though, even if it hasn't been articulated....