Login Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Use of Incense and the Bell during Mass
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Pepsuber wrote:
Puppi wrote:
There are people who have trouble with incense. I've heard of people who start sneezing, get headaches, or feel faint. It's too bad because I love the smell.

I wonder if maybe that is because they aren't used to it?
Maybe that's part of it, as well as that strange phenomenon Father mentioned. I would not feel comfortable writing off the potential issue entirely, though.

In large churches I would think that in the vast majority of cases the individual could just sit in the back or perhaps receive permission to sit in the choir loft or something, if necessary. What FS's parish does (keeping one Mass without incense, preferably the 6am or something) sounds like an easy solution for a lot of parishes if a number of parishioners put up a big to-do about incense being added or something.

"Take it as a certain sign that your charity is not genuine if your words, no matter how true, are not charitable." --St Francis de Sales

"The thing is--to be ready to die: and is there one of us who would quite like to die, doing as little for God as we are doing now?" --Fr Faber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:44 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Well, of course one wouldn't use incense at Low Mass. So what FS's parish is doing is similar.

But some people expect the Church to accommodate them, rather than accommodating themselves to the Church.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:44 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
well, we're all about making everyone happy :fyi: :bis:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:00 pm 
Highness
Highness

Puppi wrote:
I almost jumped out of my skin the first time I heard (LOUD) bells at the consecration. Before that I never even knew the practice existed. That was a shocking moment. :shock:
Perhaps we need a new local custom of having Puppi's (LOUD) bells rung between the end of the homily and the beginning of the Creed in order to wake up folks who fell asleep. This falling-asleep would be a Eutychus-like incident, but without the falling out.

Explanatory Note:
There is a very interesting (and very surprising to people who have never seen or heard it before) incident reported in the Acts of the Apostles. St. Paul, supposedly a great preacher, could still put some people to sleep with his preaching (under certain conditions). It is in one of the so called "We" passages in Acts and deals with an incident at Troas. I guess long, boring sermons could be considered an ancient biblical and apostolic tradition. [For some reason(!), this passage (Acts 20:7-12) does not seem be be read in the regular Roman Catholic Lectionary cycles.]

<Acts 20:7>On the first day of the week when we gathered to
break bread, Paul spoke to them because he was going to leave on
the next day, and he kept on speaking until midnight. <8>There
were many lamps in the upstairs room where we were gathered
<9>and a young man named Eutychus who was sitting on the window
sill was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. Once
overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and when he
was picked up, he was dead. <10>Paul went down, threw himself
upon him, and said as he embraced him, "Don't be afraid; there is
life in him." <11>Then he returned upstairs, broke the bread, and
ate; after a long conversation that lasted until daybreak, he
departed. <12>And they took the boy away alive and were
immeasurably comforted.

Edward Pothier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

One time at mass a had a coughing attack because this dang itch in the back of my throat wouldn't go away, so I went back to the gathering space to get a drink of water and a lady who was standing back there came up to me and said, "It's the incense isn't it?" :verymad: and I said, "No, actually I have this itch in the back of my throat that just won't go away," and she was like, "mmm..hmmm."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:28 am 

I find it odd that 21st century parishioners are complaining about incense alleging it causes respiratory problems. Why the sudden onset of this problem? I don't recall hearing or reading about complaints of this type in other centuries.

Incense heightens my worship experience. Those familiar with EWTN know that the small Irondale, Alabama parish uses incense at their daily Masses. I do wonder where the complaints are originating: cradle catholics or recent converts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: CDoA, SSVdP
Bailey wrote:
I find it odd that 21st century parishioners are complaining about incense alleging it causes respiratory problems. Why the sudden onset of this problem? I don't recall hearing or reading about complaints of this type in other centuries.

Incense heightens my worship experience. Those familiar with EWTN know that the small Irondale, Alabama parish uses incense at their daily Masses. I do wonder where the complaints are originating: cradle catholics or recent converts?

My completely un-researched opinion on this... people are not exposed to burning things, so, they are more sensitive. No one burns leaves, no one has campfires, very few have wood-burning fireplaces, one is crucified for smoking indoors or even near another human being. People have made themselves sensitive to any kind of burning thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:05 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
Quote:
Stand fast and hold to tradition even if it causes itching and burning. -Saint Visine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:18 pm 

Religion: Catholic (Latin & Byzantine Rites)
I have written monographs on the history and use of incense and sanctus bells in the Catholic Church that might be of interest to some of you. They can be downloaded at no cost at http://www.BellsSmells.com Godspeed to you all...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:10 pm 
Resident Philosopher
Resident Philosopher

Church Affiliations: 2nd Deg. KoC, SSFJDOG
When I was trained in the 80's we were instructed to ring the bells at the epiclesis, the 2 elevations, and then at that Domine, non sum dignus. However, I have never seen this last ringing done anywhere else. Was there some old tradition? Perhaps it is PED's "warning ring" that he was speaking about to have people come forward for communion?

FJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:28 pm 

Religion: Catholic (Latin & Byzantine Rites)
Bailey wrote:

No one dared complain in the old days and I'm not sure that was a good thing either. On the other hand maybe they took measures on their own to limit their exposure to the smoke. I note several measure people (and thurifers can take) if people are allergic to the incense smoke in my incense monograph at http://www.SmellsBells.com

EWTN does not use incense at their daily televised Mass -- only on Sundays and other special Masses.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2