Post subject: Did liturgical optionitis and degraded liturgy lead to disse
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:01 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: retired CCD teacher/organist
I always enjoy Father Z.s web site, but found this one especially interesting:
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2011/03/did-litu ... -morality/
An excerpt:
Which do I prefer:
"TheFolk Mass or the “regular” Mass? Do I like Fr. Joe’s Mass or Fr. John’s Mass? Do I want to drive a few extra miles to go to the charismatic Mass, or should I take the kids to that parish across town with the video screens and the PowerPoint homilies?

Saving any commentary on the merits of these choices for another day, the very idea of shopping for a liturgy that suites one’s fancy is inherently flawed in that it approaches a divinely instituted gift that is given by Christ to His Church (not to the local community, much less to the individual) and it treats it as though it is a product of the people that can be repeatedly reinvented according to popular fashion as seems useful to the meet the demands of personal preference. It is, in other words, a liturgical approach that is inordinately “me-centered.” [In a sense, he is right. In theory. But in fact, when faced with a Mass filled with wacko stuff by Fr. Just-Call-Me-Bob at St. Abusiva in Mahonyville, or a reverently celebrated by Fr. Just-Say-The-Black at St. Fidelia over in Benedictburg, it isn't any longer a matter of "fancy".]